Blood Donors

Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Blood Donors

I was told I had too much blood in my alcohol
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
I tried to donate blood here a couple of years ago and was flatly turned away due to being British...they won´t take our blood due to the "risk" of CJD...
Thanks, Rachelk and Mikelincs...was " Vacas Locas "

So Hillybilly...if you say it, I believe you, but is strange, because I believe that the nationality doesn't have any relation, are the analyses that are made to the donor that give the objective result if can to donate blood, or not. Be from England, France, Spain or Madagascar

Last edited by Relampago; Nov 17th 2007 at 1:02 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute

I was visiting the the United States when 9/11 occurred and even though they were desperate for blood they turned me down because i was english.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by genegenie
I was visiting the the United States when 9/11 occurred and even though they were desperate for blood they turned me down because i was english.
Unbelievable, now we're being treated like lepers in the States!!!!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Unbelievable, now we're being treated like lepers in the States!!!!
Totally unrelated to blood or mad cows, but yes related to what-the-world-thinks-of-us

I saw this on another forum yesterday.

This a french advertising agency who produce ads for Eurostar, with stereotypical images of brits.

Choose your language, then select posters and scroll through. Some are amusing, but others towards the end I found a bit worrying.

What do the children at the windows mean?

http://www.leg-agency.com/
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

betis is an unknown quantity at this point

Have given blood now on three occasions here in Spain with no problems.
After the first donation my Carnet de Donante de Sangre arrived in the post.
We did give blood in England and took our donor cards with us on the first occasion perhaps that made a difference.
We live in Sevilla Province perhaps they have a different attitude or because the month had an r in it or the sky was blue.
It's the Spanish Way.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:31 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

I also took my UK donor book with me and live in Sevilla province...so it must have been the r in the month bit!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:21 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I've donated quite a bit of blood to the mozzies in Spain they don't care who they take blood from
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Trutun is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Blood Donors

Hi, I'm new to the forum although my husband (british) isn't, he's been posting regularly since he started here a few weeks ago. I'm Spanish and I hope you don't mind me in this place.
About the blood donnor issue, I have been giving blood in Spain (in Valencia) and then I moved to England for five years and did the same over there. It is true, you can give blood in Spain too, totally safe. And it is true as well that you are not offered tea and biscuits but a bagghete with something nice and a can of pop (coke, lemon, orange), as we think we recover much better with something stronger and particularly with a sugared drink.
I don't know about particular requirements for English people's donations, we will find out soon now when we settle back in Spain.

I will try to make some enquiries next week if it helps more.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:03 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trutun
Hi, I'm new to the forum although my husband (british) isn't, he's been posting regularly since he started here a few weeks ago. I'm Spanish and I hope you don't mind me in this place.
About the blood donnor issue, I have been giving blood in Spain (in Valencia) and then I moved to England for five years and did the same over there. It is true, you can give blood in Spain too, totally safe. And it is true as well that you are not offered tea and biscuits but a bagghete with something nice and a can of pop (coke, lemon, orange), as we think we recover much better with something stronger and particularly with a sugared drink.
I don't know about particular requirements for English people's donations, we will find out soon now when we settle back in Spain.

Hi Trutun and welcome to the forum.

We are, more or less, a friendly bunch
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

SUPERPOT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello wifey!
Yes indeed a very friendly bunch as Martha says.
Keep the posts going and we will no doubt get the answers we are looking for to make those all important decisions.
I look forward to donating blood again once we settle down.
c ya soon,

Jeffers
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trutun

Hola to All! and welcome Trutun,
Thanks for this information. My question, however, is: If you have lived for 5 years in the UK (depending perhaps on which years, for example anytime between 1980 - 1996), and return to Spain, then, are you not also refused due to the risk of vCJD (variant CJD = the human form of Mad Cow Disease)? Contrary to public belief, blood donations can not be tested for ALL known diseases. The onus is on the donor to provide honest and accurate screening information at every visit.
It's confusing, isn't it? Like opening a can of worms, really.
Mitzyboy, the US (see Redcross) has for a long time refused blood donations from not only UK, but also Spain. Did you know that the US was/is (?) a main exporter of Plasma, sometimes obtained via Commercial blood donation services (ie. they paid people to donate, and invariably this included a high percentage of IV drug users and prostitutes.)
There is no doubting the necessity of blood donation services, IMO.
There are over 450 guidelines to follow for selecting blood donors (in Scotland - it might be different in our countries, including England, Wales, and N. Ireland!). See here:http://www.scotblood.co.uk/ Click on the EU legislation PDF document. Remember the blood donation form is a LEGAL document.
To end on a lighter note, the Scots are known to have a sweet tooth(), so an unlimited selection of sweet and/or savoury biscuits, along with cold (sugary squash) or hot drinks (tea & coffee, add sugar if you wish) are available. It is important to replace the fluid volume.
Regards,
Carol
P.S. I am a blood donor, too.

Last edited by Carol&John; Nov 18th 2007 at 9:23 am. Reason: wording
Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:21 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hillybilly's experience is correct and the policy is for the whole of Spain.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Trutun is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your welcome, folks!

And thanks to Carol and everybody's info, too! The truth is that i am looking forward to have our lives settled with my husband and our little one together and getting back to normal will involve to start giving blood again. So hopefully soon we will tell you what problems we find. I don't know if we will be affected by the cow diseases, as I've been in England from 2002-2007. Let's wait and see...