Reload this Page >

Best place in Spain for a week's holiday in January

Best place in Spain for a week's holiday in January

Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

WomBatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best place in Spain for a week's holiday in January

steviedeluxe,

I suspected it would be something like that.

I referred you to Malaga city, no other area or the Costa del Sol, there is a huge difference.

I continue to meet people who say they have been to Malaga, but have only been through the airport, stayed on the Costa and have no knowledge there is a normal, vibrant, Andalucian city nearby, worth at least a day's touring.

'the food there is rubbish and overpriced, crime is rampant and all the Spanish hate all the Brits.' - does not describe Malaga's adequate to outstanding food, (as you can find in many cities) - any rampant crime is from those foolishly leaving valuables on show in their car (that is the only regular major issue as I recall) - and if a Malagueño does not like you because you are British, it is perhaps because no attempt has been made with etiquette for a second time or are noticeably drunk .

Best wishes.

n.b. I am not paid by Malaga's tourist board to sell the place, but I certainly know it well enough to suggest it might meet your criteria.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:35 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well yes, you're probably right in this respect. However I'm not really a beach and sun-bathing type of person. So long as it isn't freezing and there are museums,architecture or historic quarters to explore, I'm happy. I'm just concerned that in many places it can be too cold in mid-winter to walk around.
Now that you’ve mentioned museums, architecture and historic quarters, I can finally write down the name of the place I recommend without pangs of guilt. Torrevieja.

It’s got three museums, a new Church whose architecture in comparable with Barcelona’s and historic quarters a plenty, even a British one, though slightly outside the town.

A submarine in the harbour is open to the public and the fishing fleet is a busy one. The history of the town’s salt production is legend and you can watch the process from start to finish, a two-mile long conveyor belt takes the processed salt directly to the waiting ships in the harbour.

You will not find a wider variety of restaurants anywhere else in Spain, explained by the 146 different nationalities registered on the padron.

There are no hotels that cater for the British tourists, but for Spanish speakers there are ample small hotels and hostals.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:40 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Now that you’ve mentioned museums, architecture and historic quarters, I can finally write down the name of the place I recommend without pangs of guilt. Torrevieja.

It’s got three museums, a new Church whose architecture in comparable with Barcelona’s and historic quarters a plenty, even a British one, though slightly outside the town.

A submarine in the harbour is open to the public and the fishing fleet is a busy one. The history of the town’s salt production is legend and you can watch the process from start to finish, a two-mile long conveyor belt takes the processed salt directly to the waiting ships in the harbour.

You will not find a wider variety of restaurants anywhere else in Spain, explained by the 146 different nationalities registered on the padron.

There are no hotels that cater for the British tourists, but for Spanish speakers there are ample small hotels and hostals.
Heh - well it's not top of my list this time around, but you've intrigued me. Next time I'm anywhere close I may make a diversion and look around the place.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:42 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WomBatt
steviedeluxe,

I suspected it would be something like that.

I referred you to Malaga city, no other area or the Costa del Sol, there is a huge difference.

I continue to meet people who say they have been to Malaga, but have only been through the airport, stayed on the Costa and have no knowledge there is a normal, vibrant, Andalucian city nearby, worth at least a day's touring.

'the food there is rubbish and overpriced, crime is rampant and all the Spanish hate all the Brits.' - does not describe Malaga's adequate to outstanding food, (as you can find in many cities) - any rampant crime is from those foolishly leaving valuables on show in their car (that is the only regular major issue as I recall) - and if a Malagueño does not like you because you are British, it is perhaps because no attempt has been made with etiquette for a second time or are noticeably drunk .

Best wishes.

n.b. I am not paid by Malaga's tourist board to sell the place, but I certainly know it well enough to suggest it might meet your criteria.
Thanks for your reply. I suspected as much anyway, but until I've spent time there perhaps I should keep an open mind.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:42 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes, you're probably right in this respect. However I'm not really a beach and sun-bathing type of person. So long as it isn't freezing and there are museums,architecture or historic quarters to explore, I'm happy. I'm just concerned that in many places it can be too cold in mid-winter to walk around.
Santa Cruz/La Laguna,Tenerife might fit the bill, also as a bonus, there's some wonderful and spectacular scenery on that North tip of the island.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

My current work contract finishes mid January, and I'm considering getting away for a few days. First instinct is to go to Madrid, to take advantage of the sales, fine wining and dining, and catch up with old friends. However, it can be cold (I suppose that's true of most places in January though). Where would you recommend?
Go to Malaga It has everything, atmosphere, good food, cinemas in original language if required, theatre , concerts, great shopping, warm climate, excellent cheap transport and great places to visit by bus or train. It's within walking distance to beaches if required and you can visit Picassos house and lots of other museums or just stay awake for the nightlife.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
Go to Malaga It has everything, atmosphere, good food, cinemas in original language if required, theatre , concerts, great shopping, warm climate, excellent cheap transport and great places to visit by bus or train. It's within walking distance to beaches if required and you can visit Picassos house and lots of other museums or just stay awake for the nightlife.
I'd agree with that.

If you get bored you can be in Madrid in less than 3 hours on the AVE!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Hey - kindred spirits in elspeth and Fred.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Best place in Spain for a week's holiday in January

One hour down the coast is Murcia City culturally complete you have also the Mar Menor (warm Coast) and the luxury of being 30 mins fron the infamous 'La Manga' where the footballers train in the winter and the rich enjoy we have a lovely home near the Mar Menor 10 mins away just come back 24degrees lovely and Spanish by the way!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:27 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WomBatt
steviedeluxe,

Hard to tell what is meant by 'that area is really bad' when referring to Malaga, could I have some explanation of this?

Casa Santo Estevo,

Yes, I can be found on several forums. Any reason for your interest?

Best wishes.
Great News; I love your postings, welcome aboard.

It's just one particular poster who posts a barrage of negative stuff about the region. Not only is the unemployment high there (which we knew about anyway) but all (yes all!!) the food there is rubbish and overpriced, crime is rampant and all the Spanish hate all the Brits. To be fair she doesn't like the Brits down there either - none of them bother to learn Spanish you see.
May be best if I avoid that area - supposing she's right?
We all get some of that. I would go where you think you feel happy in after all it is your money and vacation.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:48 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Great News; I love your postings, welcome aboard.

We all get some of that. I would go where you think you feel happy in after all it is your money and vacation.
Well yes. I fully intend to have a long stay in Galicia at some point (but not this time around), regardless of all the wibbling about rain. I've been in Asturias and Cantabria several times and I know the scenery up there is absolutely stunning. A bit of precipitation that keeps the countryside green, is not a negative point in my view - although I admit 14 solid days of rain may change my mind. I've spent a year working in Glasgow, so perhaps rain no longer bothers me!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Casa Santo Estevo,

Many thanks. I now recognise you from your profile. Your efforts and good works are certainly noted. Very best wishes.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

I ditto Malaga! With day trips to Cadiz and Sevilla!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

Cordoba, Sevilla, Granada all full of culture!! why not rent a house somewhere and explore the lot!!!!