Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best place in Spain for a week's holiday in January

Best place in Spain for a week's holiday in January

Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:04 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best place in Spain for a week's holiday in January

My current work contract finishes mid January, and I'm considering getting away for a few days. First instinct is to go to Madrid, to take advantage of the sales, fine wining and dining, and catch up with old friends. However, it can be cold (I suppose that's true of most places in January though). Where would you recommend?
Old Nov 5th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best place in Spain for a week's holiday in January

I do not know about Madrid but I just take the view that the coast is a minimum 10 degrees warmer than the UK
Old Nov 6th 2010, 7:15 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re looking for guaranteed coastal sunshine and four blue flag beaches, right next to each other, a multi-cultural environment, served by two airports less than half-an-hour away, then I can recommend a place.

It’s T . . ., I can’t write the word down, what’s wrong with me? To . . . , no it’s no good, it won’t work. One last try – Tor . . .

I give up, I can’t tell lies this early in the morning.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

If you want sun in January head to the Canaries
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:10 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
If you want sun in January head to the Canaries
Well yes, you're probably right in this respect. However I'm not really a beach and sun-bathing type of person. So long as it isn't freezing and there are museums,architecture or historic quarters to explore, I'm happy. I'm just concerned that in many places it can be too cold in mid-winter to walk around.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:39 am
Just Joined

WomBatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Malaga city (and with only a few days certainly at least a day trip to Cordoba by train).
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:45 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by WomBatt
Malaga city (and with only a few days certainly at least a day trip to Cordoba by train).
I was thinking about Malaga, I must be honest. Trouble is, Jackytoo keeps telling me that area is really bad, and I'm beginning to believe her

Given that I won't be taking a long trip, I may just force myself to put up with the cold air and go to Madrid. I know where the good places are, I can meet up with old friends, and there are bound to be some great bargains in the sales to be had. If I get bored of the place (very unlikely) or need a change of scenery I can always have a day trip in Toledo or Segovia,
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:45 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I think Madrid is an excellent choice especially if you have contacts there. You don’t need warm weather to enjoy bars, tapas and restaurants etc.
There are other cities to consider; the first two that spring to my mind are Barcelona or San Sebastian. However the choice is really going to be down to what you want. I think it sounds as if you want to just chill and hang around a bit, am I right?
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:46 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you the wombatt that posts on TA?
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:50 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I think Madrid is an excellent choice especially if you have contacts there. You don’t need warm weather to enjoy bars, tapas and restaurants etc.
There are other cities to consider; the first two that spring to my mind are Barcelona or San Sebastian. However the choice is really going to be down to what you want. I think it sounds as if you want to just chill and hang around a bit, am I right?
Well I want to take in some places of interest too, but yes, it's going to be a fairly restful stay I hope. Normally I'd search out some country walks, but that's unlikely at that time of year. Plenty of museums in Madrid to peruse too. It's funny, I currently live in London but I never currently take the time to visit its museums - it's never the locals but always visitors who do this - I'm no exception.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:06 pm

I added my post at the same time as your one. But I have to admit on a short trip to Madrid earlier this year opened up our eyes to just how nice it was. We loved Barcelona and thought Madrid would not be a patch on it. However they are both very different and have their own positive features.
Maybe you will get a bit of snow and then a walk in the hills is really nice. I assume you will not havea car on this trip?
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:17 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Inland spain gets very hot in summer and very cold in winter. Climate on the meditranean coast is ..... well mediteranean

We had a bbq on new years day last year
Old Nov 6th 2010, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

ross-shire will become famous soon enoughross-shire will become famous soon enough

we went to girona last january. lots of interesting places and history. salvador dali and the old fortres in girona..the fortress was one of the most interesting i have visited. and the weather was very pleasant.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

WomBatt is an unknown quantity at this point

steviedeluxe,

Hard to tell what is meant by 'that area is really bad' when referring to Malaga, could I have some explanation of this?

Casa Santo Estevo,

Yes, I can be found on several forums. Any reason for your interest?

Best wishes.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 1:53 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe,

Hard to tell what is meant by 'that area is really bad' when referring to Malaga, could I have some explanation of this?
It's just one particular poster who posts a barrage of negative stuff about the region. Not only is the unemployment high there (which we knew about anyway) but all (yes all!!) the food there is rubbish and overpriced, crime is rampant and all the Spanish hate all the Brits. To be fair she doesn't like the Brits down there either - none of them bother to learn Spanish you see.
May be best if I avoid that area - supposing she's right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.