Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Being ripped off.

Being ripped off.

Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being ripped off.

Originally Posted by sam parky
What have you done with the monkey? I thought he was such a cutie!
just fancied a change
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think my Brit was also charging British prices. Doing my own little bit of research I've found the materials are cheap here, ie bricks, blocks, cement etc. Going direct to a Spaniard who did my garden and the Hungarian said that it was good work as well as the Brit did (he was nothing to do with the Brit) compared to when the Hungarian saw some of the Brits work he tried not to laugh. But I found the Spanish charged me 120 Euros per man. The Brit was charging more, which someone on here also pointed out to me...politely, I was a mug... Since building isn't my field anywhere, I guess it is all a learning curve, I look at it as an expensive way of doing my appreticeship (sp) .

Apart from building I also have a bad experience with a dentist, which they did work on perfectly healthy teeth, I found this out when they capped them and it fell off and I went back. The dentist was away so I asked to see my notes as I was going to take them to another dentist and they wouldn't let me. I ran off with them, with her chasing me up the street. But it was scary to see that they had done quite a bit of work on teeth that shouldn't have been touched looking at the x rays and I showed them to another dentist and he confirmed. However since he was another European and the dentist was Spanish and had clout he wouldn't do anything to support me claiming damages. But that work that Spanish dentist did, has cost me thousands and I'm still paying for it as I've had nothing but problems. Another area to be careful off. This dentist was in Fuegirola (sp) near the Horse fountain. They don't have resident dentists in some places, they basically are renting the room/equipment, and you can go back and they are no longer there also. Something I hadn't crossed living any other country I had lived in before.

Someone told me that some doctors and dentists that have been struck off sometimes come down to Spain and open up shop.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
The Brit builder I had was recommended by a friend and I saw his work or should I say some of his workers. He did some work for me initially and that was good, well the spanish worker who did the work was okay. So I thought good reliable, even commented on here that I had found a good builder. So got him to do more work and this time the builder being a Brit decided to do it himself, Not good and other work hasn't been finished off now. So started off okay, but got worse when I gave him more work. He didn't turn up when he said he would, blah blah and some tiles I had done in my bedroom after a built in wardrobe as knocked out, I've just come back and found they don't match. When I complained his attitude was, well find another builder. I had already paid him as going on previous work thought it would be safe too. My mistake......anyway I've found a Hungarian builder that has come recommended and he was trained by the Germans. So far I like him, but he won't get paid until all work is finished and meets the standards. So even if come recommended and done work for you isn't a guarantee the standard will remain the same especially if the worker changes. This was a Brit with a Spanish team, they seem to be okay, the weakest link is him.
yes youve got a point - so I think the key is to withhold a certain % until all work is completed to your satisfaction

Any builder (or tradesmen, satellite company, whoever) wanting the full amount (which I have heard of) or more than reasonable amount up front I would say is a bit dubious
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Apart from building I also have a bad experience with a dentist, which they did work on perfectly healthy teeth, I found this out when they capped them and it fell off and I went back.
thats strange and now you got me thinking

I went to a dentist and needed 4 crowns (180€ each) had the work done and had to go back a few times as my "bite" wasnt right. A few other people I know have been there and all of them have "needed" crowns - all without having a x-ray (not that I know if an x-ray would be needed to confirm one way or the other ' )

just seemed strange that all the patients had to have the same treatment
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
number one rule - trust no one, trust is something you earn
exactly, and don't leave your brain on the plane
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Well my problems didn't end with the crowns, she had done a root filling but it wasn't done properly, in fact she had put a metal pin thingy in. I got an absess a year later and he couldn't through to the problem because of it. The infection was right near my sinus. You could see the problem on the xray, when he showed me. The only option in the end was I had to have the tooth out. So consequently her work on a heathy tooth ended up with me loosing one of them, I've got the potential problem with two others that she worked on at the time. I've been to a few dentists in my life, but she was the worst. I think the trouble is they want to make money out of you, not necessarily do what is best for you. That's the feeling I've had. I've got a Danish dentist he isn't too bad, but I have recently been recommended by several people to a German dentist near me. As it is nearer to my house than the other I may switch....but I think I may take an army of bodyguards or teeth guards just in case..... It's like a horror film when you think about some of these dentists who practice.

Originally Posted by spain
thats strange and now you got me thinking

I went to a dentist and needed 4 crowns (180€ each) had the work done and had to go back a few times as my "bite" wasnt right. A few other people I know have been there and all of them have "needed" crowns - all without having a x-ray (not that I know if an x-ray would be needed to confirm one way or the other ' )

just seemed strange that all the patients had to have the same treatment
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:52 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

We were scared of being riped off....... but I think from looking at the post we were lucky, we have a good friend now, who helped us when buying the house and then also when renovating our house. ( Cadiz Builders ) We have had great service from all the local people. I know that it isnt the same for all, but I know that our spanish friends are looking out for us all the time and every one has been so kind and so helpful, from the day we arrived.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

I came down here on my own and didn't know anyone so it was a bit trial and error. So my first year I was new blood and it was that year that I had many of the problems. I was also living in an expat area. Since I've moved to a Spanish community and have excellent neighbours I haven't had it happen to me until recently when I went back using a Brit builder and last year using a Car mover back to the UK which was Brit. Generally I have found the Spanish mostly have been good to me and my neighbour is excellent at also trying to help me and protect me in many instances. He tends to find most of the handyman if I need any help. I lived in Oz for 12 years as well as the Middle East for a short time, but here has been an eyeopener for me, and both the other countries I had arrived new. But here it is a different ballgame and one I didn't expect to be so. I think the only Brits I do business with now are my hairdresser who has been doing my hair since I arrived (after trying about 4) and my video shop both nice and honest and had no problems. It's a shame as the bad ones tend to tarnish it for the decent people as they can be tared with the same brush, and I know I can be guilty of doing that myself...

Maybe we should all do a list of decent and honest Brit companies in our areas so that we all know who to go to and a list of all the ones who need shooting.

Originally Posted by gallerie9
We were scared of being riped off....... but I think from looking at the post we were lucky, we have a good friend now, who helped us when buying the house and then also when renovating our house. ( Cadiz Builders ) We have had great service from all the local people. I know that it isnt the same for all, but I know that our spanish friends are looking out for us all the time and every one has been so kind and so helpful, from the day we arrived.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:38 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

I came down here on my own and didn't know anyone so it was a bit trial and error. So my first year I was new blood and it was that year that I had many of the problems. I was also living in an expat area. Since I've moved to a Spanish community and have excellent neighbours I haven't had it happen to me until recently went I went back using a Brit builder and last year using a Car mover back to the UK which was Brit. Generally I have found the Spanish mostly have been good to me and my neighbour is excellent at also trying to help me and protect me in many instances. He tends to find most of the handyman if I need any help. I lived in Oz for 12 years as well as the Middle East for a short time, but here has been an eyeopener for me, and both the other countries I had arrived new. But here it is a different ballgame and one I didn't expect to be so. I think the only Brits I do business with now are my hairdresser who has been doing my hair since I arrived (after trying about 4) and my video shop both nice and honest and had no problems. It's a shame as the bad ones tend to tarnish it for the decent people as they can be tared with the same brush, and I know I can be guilty of doing that myself...

Maybe we should all do a list of decent and honest Brit companies in our areas so that we all know who to go to and a list of all the ones who need shooting.
yes i know how you feel about hairdressers a couple of years ago one was cutting my hair i asked her to cut it a bit shorter or so i thought she clipped it to a number three. i have kept ed it like that ever since and got my own clippers
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:42 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Cadiz builders is a spanish and half a brit LOL.
We live in a spanish area there are no Brit workers, so really we had no comparisons, but as I wrote the Spanish friends we have made really look out for us.
I have one who is a gem, we are a simlar age, and like the same sort of things. People ask her " do you speak English? " as you have a good english friend "no" is her reply , but we manage to communicate and have some great times together. Her name is Paci I have told her I could not call her that is the UK I would be taken away buy the police LOL.
We have been made to feel that we are part of this community and we both love it.

And her brother is the local hairdresser well one of them there are lots and he is great
and a thired of the price of the UK LOL

Last edited by gallerie9; Mar 30th 2007 at 4:44 pm. Reason: added the hairdresser
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

I had a bad hair cut in Oz once, trying a new hairdresser. She hacked it and I wore a hat for a couple of weeks. It took a few decent cuts to get it back looking decent again. I usually hijack someone with a nice hair cut and style now if I'm new place.....so if anyone gets a tap on their shoulder, I may be asking you where you had it cut...a) because it is so bad I want to avoid the hairdresser myself, b) It looks great and I want mine too look the same..

Originally Posted by gallerie9
Cadiz builders is a spanish and half a brit LOL.
We live in a spanish area there are no Brit workers, so really we had no comparisons, but as I wrote the Spanish friends we have made really look out for us.
I have one who is a gem, we are a simlar age, and like the same sort of things. People ask her " do you speak English? " as you have a good english friend "no" is her reply , but we manage to communicate and have some great times together. Her name is Paci I have told her I could not call her that is the UK I would be taken away buy the police LOL.
We have been made to feel that we are part of this community and we both love it.

And her brother is the local hairdresser well one of them there are lots and he is great
and a thired of the price of the UK LOL
Old Mar 30th 2007, 7:20 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from building I also have a bad experience with a dentist, which they did work on perfectly healthy teeth, I found this out when they capped them and it fell off and I went back. The dentist was away so I asked to see my notes as I was going to take them to another dentist and they wouldn't let me. I ran off with them, with her chasing me up the street. But it was scary to see that they had done quite a bit of work on teeth that shouldn't have been touched looking at the x rays and I showed them to another dentist and he confirmed. However since he was another European and the dentist was Spanish and had clout he wouldn't do anything to support me claiming damages. But that work that Spanish dentist did, has cost me thousands and I'm still paying for it as I've had nothing but problems. Another area to be careful off. This dentist was in Fuegirola (sp) near the Horse fountain. They don't have resident dentists in some places, they basically are renting the room/equipment, and you can go back and they are no longer there also. Something I hadn't crossed living any other country I had lived in before.

Someone told me that some doctors and dentists that have been struck off sometimes come down to Spain and open up shop.

Oh No! It's bad enough finding a dentist in England, let alone a decent one - I was rather hoping I would be able to find a good dentist in Spain
Old Mar 30th 2007, 7:36 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Oh No! It's bad enough finding a dentist in England, let alone a decent one - I was rather hoping I would be able to find a good dentist in Spain
Don't worry Lionda.

We've got a brilliant dentist here.

He's South African, has worked in the UK for many years and now has his surgery in Calpe. Only problem is he is private, but he does accept credit and debit cards.

You can watch on a screen as he shows you exactly what the problem is and what he's doing......well, that's only if you're brave and don't shut your eyes
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

I thought most of the dentists were private here. Even with the non Spanish dentists I think you have to be careful. There is one apparently in Alhaurein Grande, that has been struck off for molesting women in the UK whilst in the chair. There was apparently a British programme on Dentists from hell in Spain or something, I didn't see it, was told, and he was on it..... Pity I didn't see it, I would be taking notes.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness!!
I'm terrified of the dentist, and I've got toothache just reading some of these posts!

I've been going to the same dentist in Devon, since I was 11 (quite a long time now! )
When I moved to Somerset, I continued travelling to the same dentist......and now I'm in Spain, I'm still going to him!
He knows what a big baby I am, he's soooooooo nice to me (and he's handsome!)

He became a private dentist some time ago, so now I just phone up, say I'm visiting the UK and make an appointment. He's lovely!

(But my stomach still goes into knots, my mouth goes dry and my toes curl up until I hear those magic words "no Sam, nothing needs doing!")

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.