Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Being ripped off.

Being ripped off.

Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Being ripped off.

Well some of us have been there. We arrived in Spain feeling positive and optimistic and probably a little naive and trusting of those around us. Since new people are always arriving maybe some could share their experiences so that newbies may not have the same things done to them.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:25 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Being ripped off.

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Well some of us have been there. We arrived in Spain feeling positive and optimistic and probably a little naive and trusting of those around us. Since new people are always arriving maybe some could share their experiences so that newbies may not have the same things done to them.
Dont use british builders as they get there diplomas on the frerry crossing.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
The Spanish can be just as bad, shoddy, messy, dont turn up on time (if at all) never finish the job......

I would always get references, see previous work - whatever the nationality even if the tradesmen was "recommended" but a "friend"
Old Mar 30th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
number one rule - trust no one, trust is something you earn
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:18 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spain
number one rule - trust no one, trust is something you earn
What have you done with the monkey? I thought he was such a cutie!
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

The Brit builder I had was recommended by a friend and I saw his work or should I say some of his workers. He did some work for me initially and that was good, well the spanish worker who did the work was okay. So I thought good reliable, even commented on here that I had found a good builder. So got him to do more work and this time the builder being a Brit decided to do it himself, Not good and other work hasn't been finished off now. So started off okay, but got worse when I gave him more work. He didn't turn up when he said he would, blah blah and some tiles I had done in my bedroom after a built in wardrobe as knocked out, I've just come back and found they don't match. When I complained his attitude was, well find another builder. I had already paid him as going on previous work thought it would be safe too. My mistake......anyway I've found a Hungarian builder that has come recommended and he was trained by the Germans. So far I like him, but he won't get paid until all work is finished and meets the standards. So even if come recommended and done work for you isn't a guarantee the standard will remain the same especially if the worker changes. This was a Brit with a Spanish team, they seem to be okay, the weakest link is him.

Originally Posted by spain
The Spanish can be just as bad, shoddy, messy, dont turn up on time (if at all) never finish the job......

I would always get references, see previous work - whatever the nationality even if the tradesmen was "recommended" but a "friend"
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:56 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good thread Mercedes I hope more people add to it to warn us of what to watch out for.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

gemmaholly is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lionda
This is a good thread Mercedes I hope more people add to it to warn us of what to watch out for.
I think the main thing to remember is that just because it isn't England does't mean that everyone is above board. In the same way that you wouldn't get work done in England without references then don't in Spain. You wouldn't buy a house in the UK without a survey so don't in Spain.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:14 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

For building work get recommendations. The UK builder I used for a wall, I now know was hugely expensive ... still charging UK rates. I'm now using Spanish and buying my own materials. I found that all the building materials for all the work cost less than I was charged for a small wall by a brit.

Don't be afraid of using Spanish builders, just like the UK get recommendations and choose carefully.

There are shops around here that operate a two tier pricing strategy .... when buying something substantial that is not priced in the shop it often helps to take a Spanish friend with you to buy as he may get a better price
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:16 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

That's the bit which annoys me - the two tier pricing system Why is that? It is so unfair :curse:
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:19 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gemmaholly
I think the main thing to remember is that just because it isn't England does't mean that everyone is above board. In the same way that you wouldn't get work done in England without references then don't in Spain. You wouldn't buy a house in the UK without a survey so don't in Spain.
Funny the only good thing about an english survey is there insurance as you can claim against them should you need too.

Most survey officers in the uk have theory based knowledge of buildings they are not builders or strucual engineers the best thing you can do when buying a house etc is open your eyes look beyond and think ahead. Because if you cant do this you should not even be doing diy as you dont know what impact you work could have on the property. And as for decorating look at some of the horrible jobs that have been done that lower the value of houses.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

That's the bit which annoys me - the two tier pricing system Why is that? It is so unfair :curse:
I told my neighbour its brit syndrome ..... You walk into a shop and open your mouth (or just by the look of you) and they rub their hands together .... heh heh heh ... briiiitiiish ... heh heh.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:31 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Where we live we were told by the builder we had (Brit would not use again)
that the price list is as follows - best price for Spanish, dearer price for English that live here permanently and through the roof price for English holiday home. We have had some naff builders work for us (mostly recommended), one German that came highly recommended we had to sack as his quality of work was dreadful, all the paving cracked as we walked on it we lost over 2,000 euros luckily we asked him to leave before he wasted the other 4,000.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I told my neighbour its brit syndrome ..... You walk into a shop and open your mouth (or just by the look of you) and they rub their hands together .... heh heh heh ... briiiitiiish ... heh heh.

Oh so true.......
Old Mar 30th 2007, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!

We had a quote for some building work from a young Brit (I would call him a wide boy, Jack the lad) he said he was City and Guilds trained, I did laugh to myself as my daughter is C&G's trained in photographer she too has a diploma to show for it, it took her one term of evening glasses to get it. We have since heard that said young man may have gone back to UK as thing not quite working out for him. I'm not knocking C&G it's just there is a little bit more to being a builder than that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.