Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Another Internet thread!

Another Internet thread!

Old Mar 25th 2014, 5:54 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Internet thread!

Hi

Even though we have had lots of threads on the internet. I think with all the changes etc, like the introduction of 4G and the change in TV, it would be worth having the latest update on what is available in our area re an affordable and sustainable internet service. I think there's no doubt that to have TV its now a fast internet that's needed. Which is good for everything else.

I am delighted with the TMN 3G service - but have noticed as I use TV more (via the excellent - for us- slingbox)... that my usage has gone up. Its getting to the point that for us it might just be OK to take up a monthly subscription. Even though its wasted when we aren't here. Especially if its faster than 3G. Also its handy to have 'always on' too - as opposed to the slight hassle of turning it on and off (PAYG)

So for the benefit of myself and hopefully others :

Q1: Is there a truly unlimited internet FAST service - (TV uses a lot of downloaded data ). 'Fair use policy' worried me.

Q2: How much does it cost please? Set up and monthly.

Q3: Our community is looking at a community internet. Does anybody know if it would handle a bunch of people watching eg Corrie at the same time (in HD!), please?

Q4: Is there a concern that in Expat rich areas that even the fast 4G/normal internet networks would handle these peaks (e.g Corrie), please? TV especially HD streaming uses up a LOT of bandwidth!

Q5: Is there a fast unlimited service thats PAYG... that you can switch on and off.... even if there's a cost upgrade to have this, please? It could work out cheaper to pay an uplift when you are here, as opposed to paying when you aren't.

Thanks in advance - I ope this will help residents and non full-time residents

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Mar 25th 2014 at 5:56 am.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Another Internet thread!

Yesterday I was talking to someone in Maclesfield who really does know about theses things and he revealed that OPTIMUS have a good offer on a contract mifi with a 4G SIM for €25/mth with truly unlimited download.

He is the proprietor of this business:

http://androidtvsolutions.com/all-ne...x-android-box/

And he has a house in the West Algarve and a friend with a house in Alcutim. He knew our three masts on the Portuguese side on the ridge and was talking to his friend about an installation. He was sure that 4G had arrived at Alcutim and was available in Sanlucar. He could not be certain that we could get it yet but somebody with a 4G phone could let it rome to see if they can get Optimus 4G. If that is so this could just be the answer. He said where he was his 4G was getting better than 20 mgb.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Internet thread!

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi

Even though we have had lots of threads on the internet. I think with all the changes etc, like the introduction of 4G and the change in TV, it would be worth having the latest update on what is available in our area re an affordable and sustainable internet service. I think there's no doubt that to have TV its now a fast internet that's needed. Which is good for everything else.

I am delighted with the TMN 3G service - but have noticed as I use TV more (via the excellent - for us- slingbox)... that my usage has gone up. Its getting to the point that for us it might just be OK to take up a monthly subscription. Even though its wasted when we aren't here. Especially if its faster than 3G. Also its handy to have 'always on' too - as opposed to the slight hassle of turning it on and off (PAYG)

So for the benefit of myself and hopefully others :

Q1: Is there a truly unlimited internet FAST service - (TV uses a lot of downloaded data ). 'Fair use policy' worried me.

Q2: How much does it cost please? Set up and monthly.

Q3: Our community is looking at a community internet. Does anybody know if it would handle a bunch of people watching eg Corrie at the same time (in HD!), please?

Q4: Is there a concern that in Expat rich areas that even the fast 4G/normal internet networks would handle these peaks (e.g Corrie), please? TV especially HD streaming uses up a LOT of bandwidth!

Q5: Is there a fast unlimited service thats PAYG... that you can switch on and off.... even if there's a cost upgrade to have this, please? It could work out cheaper to pay an uplift when you are here, as opposed to paying when you aren't.

Thanks in advance - I ope this will help residents and non full-time residents

Jon
Hi Jon
Make sure your president votes for the WiFi broadband proposal at next month's intercommunity AGM - then we need to ensure that the service provider has a sufficiently high capacity connection to support all the apartments - if possible fibre optic, if it could be available in this neck of the woods - or multiple connections to ensure a reasonably high capacity service. I understand there are two options on the table - one for WiFi into your property (which is roughly 3 times more capital outlay) and secondly WiFi into the public areas - which presumably means you would need to have a WiFi receiver/aerial on your balcony or terrace.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, re fibre optic, we were talking to the guys in Movistar last week and it will be 4yrs ish before we get it here. Regards Bryony
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

I have read on another Spain forum that if 150 people commit without it being contractual then Movistar will wire up with FIBRE. I am amazed that we have not already had improvements the street infrastructure is already in place with drawstrings in place so pulling through the fibre would be so easy. It would require new street cabinets and a new back haul to their distribution point. In UK BT would bite your hand off for the opportunity the local authority would be actively promoting it and pushing BT to get on with it. It is reckoned that this kind of provision can transform the prospects of the more rural areas such as Ayamonte.

It is truly backwoods that all of Esuri does not have a copper landline never mind fibre but that's the way it is. You would think the Mayor would be promoting our cause but he seems disinterested. With hi speed fibre CE could be transformed and sales prospects and entrepreneurship would flourish.

We have a high level contact with Telefonica so we could perhaps ask the questions.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mascara22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Hi Jon
Make sure your president votes for the WiFi broadband proposal at next month's intercommunity AGM - then we need to ensure that the service provider has a sufficiently high capacity connection to support all the apartments - if possible fibre optic, if it could be available in this neck of the woods - or multiple connections to ensure a reasonably high capacity service. I understand there are two options on the table - one for WiFi into your property (which is roughly 3 times more capital outlay) and secondly WiFi into the public areas - which presumably means you would need to have a WiFi receiver/aerial on your balcony or terrace.
How do we find out who our president is? I have had minutes of meeting to say there is a vote, but not sure how to contact the right person? Sue
Old Mar 26th 2014, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mascara22
How do we find out who our president is? I have had minutes of meeting to say there is a vote, but not sure how to contact the right person? Sue
Ask Gesprosur - they are the managing administrators for the Marina Esuri Intercommunity. If you are not in ME then ADA are probably your administrator.
I have pm'd you with Gesprosur's contact details - send them an email, but you will need to act quickly as the AGM for ME is early next month to catch all the Easter visitors.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
I have read on another Spain forum that if 150 people commit without it being contractual then Movistar will wire up with FIBRE. I am amazed that we have not already had improvements the street infrastructure is already in place with drawstrings in place so pulling through the fibre would be so easy. It would require new street cabinets and a new back haul to their distribution point. In UK BT would bite your hand off for the opportunity the local authority would be actively promoting it and pushing BT to get on with it. It is reckoned that this kind of provision can transform the prospects of the more rural areas such as Ayamonte.

It is truly backwoods that all of Esuri does not have a copper landline never mind fibre but that's the way it is. You would think the Mayor would be promoting our cause but he seems disinterested. With hi speed fibre CE could be transformed and sales prospects and entrepreneurship would flourish.

We have a high level contact with Telefonica so we could perhaps ask the questions.

Having recently travelled nearly 24,000 miles to South America and back,am amazed that we don't have broadband wifi at Esuri or that technology available to us,from the various companies. At nearly every place we visited on our three week trip,we were given free wifi,small bars little restaurants even a place called Ushuaia, "know locally as the end of the world" all the way down at the tip of South America located next to Cape Horn.

Even over the river in Vila Real it's fee wifi in the square and most bars????.

Ken.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 11:28 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teed Up
Having recently travelled nearly 24,000 miles to South America and back,am amazed that we don't have broadband wifi at Esuri or that technology available to us,from the various companies. At nearly every place we visited on our three week trip,we were given free wifi,small bars little restaurants even a place called Ushuaia, "know locally as the end of the world" all the way down at the tip of South America located next to Cape Horn.

Even over the river in Vila Real it's fee wifi in the square and most bars????.

Ken.
Blimey Ken, we dont have a post box - you dont think they would put in that new - fangled internet thingumagig do you! And remote African villages can have a bus service, but we aren't at that lofty level yet. Perhaps we need to pay more taxes to the EUC and IBI!

Jungle drums and smoke signals seem to do the trick

I just hope that when they 'size' the community/IC internets they really understand the loading..... something tells me that we may end up with a problem!

Jon
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:22 am
BE Positive

Yesterday I was talking to someone in Maclesfield who really does know about theses things and he revealed that OPTIMUS have a good offer on a contract mifi with a 4G SIM for €25/mth with truly unlimited download.

He is the proprietor of this business:

http://androidtvsolutions.com/all-ne...x-android-box/

And he has a house in the West Algarve and a friend with a house in Alcutim. He knew our three masts on the Portuguese side on the ridge and was talking to his friend about an installation. He was sure that 4G had arrived at Alcutim and was available in Sanlucar. He could not be certain that we could get it yet but somebody with a 4G phone could let it rome to see if they can get Optimus 4G. If that is so this could just be the answer. He said where he was his 4G was getting better than 20 mgb.

This sounds really good thanks John.

I had a look at this page http://androidtvsolutions.com/algarve-spain/
Itkind of answers the dish size question and points out the dangers of some of the cowboys and having boxes with codes. Recommended reading IMO.

I havent found the 4G solution, but will call and when Ive found out will update.

I reckon I'll pay 25 a month for this and have 'always on' (if it works) and just grin and bear the monthly charge for the time I am not here.

So far on this thread we dont have some sort of on/off facility for us non full time residents. I'd pay a reasonable big 'penalty price upgrade' if I could get this

Thanks again

Jon
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This sounds really good thanks John.

I had a look at this page http://androidtvsolutions.com/algarve-spain/
Itkind of answers the dish size question and points out the dangers of some of the cowboys and having boxes with codes. Recommended reading IMO.

I havent found the 4G solution, but will call and when Ive found out will update.

I reckon I'll pay 25 a month for this and have 'always on' (if it works) and just grin and bear the monthly charge for the time I am not here.

So far on this thread we dont have some sort of on/off facility for us non full time residents. I'd pay a reasonable big 'penalty price upgrade' if I could get this

Thanks again

Jon
Collected my box yesterday looks very promising. Talking to him again he said that as far as he knew there was no true unlimited 4G PAYGO option available in Spain or Portugal and to get a big enough limit for TV would cost a fortune. Will need to investigate the Optimus 4G contract option at €25pm. He said that it was available in Monte G and VRSTo. We will see.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Positive

Collected my box yesterday looks very promising. Talking to him again he said that as far as he knew there was no true unlimited 4G PAYGO option available in Spain or Portugal and to get a big enough limit for TV would cost a fortune. Will need to investigate the Optimus 4G contract option at €25pm. He said that it was available in Monte G and VRSTo. We will see.
I found the deal its 15 promo and then becomes 25 after.
But if I understand it correctly we would need to pay 30.

I hope we can do this without a portuguese account - we have SEPA after all.... And without a PT address
http://www.optimus.pt/particulares/i...ios/pos-pagos/

360 a year..... I think I'd pay that if it was truly illimitado

Thanks

Jon

Now we need to see if we can get reception in CE.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:46 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I found the deal its 15 promo and then becomes 25 after.
But if I understand it correctly we would need to pay 30.

I hope we can do this without a portuguese account - we have SEPA after all.... And without a PT address
http://www.optimus.pt/particulares/i...ios/pos-pagos/

360 a year..... I think I'd pay that if it was truly illimitado

Thanks

Jon

Now we need to see if we can get reception in CE.
You may need a Portuguese fiscal number.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by EMR
You may need a Portuguese fiscal number.
Yes that maybe a problem, but hopefully we can get a friend to do it for us....
Jon
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes that maybe a problem, but hopefully we can get a friend to do it for us....
Jon
I baggsy my friend in MF!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.