Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Amazon - UK versus ES?

Amazon - UK versus ES?

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light
Default Amazon - UK versus ES?

I saw on another recent post that someone recommended avoiding Amazon.ES because of delivery charges. The ES site charges for delivery but if you spend over £25 on the UK site its free.

Whilst this is true, I thought it might be worth sharing my recent experience.

I was looking for a new frying pan to use on an induction hob. I found what I wanted on the UK site but it was over £60 which, for me, is too much to pay for a pan. By chance I looked on the ES site where the exact same pan was 36.4 euros. Delivery was 2.99.

I was so pleased I bought a crepe pan as well. 21.24 euros on ES, £29 on UK. So the 2 pans plus delivery cost me 60.63 euros, which I thought was a pretty good saving. I was glad I'd looked at both sites.

Delivery in 3 days using MRW just as from the UK site.

For the uninitiated its also worth knowing that Amazon adjust sales tax when you buy from the UK site. This is good when you buy items that attract 20% Vat as it gets reduced to 18% IVA. Not so good with books that are tax free in the UK but get 4% IVA added when you buy them from the UK site and ship them to Spain. (Unless you get someone in the UK to order them for you as a 'gift' with their UK registered credit card).

Before anyone asks - No I don't have shares in Amazon In the future I'll make sure I check the prices on both sites before ordering anything.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:40 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amazon - UK versus ES?

If you pay Amazon Spain a premium of €14.99/pa delivery is free on any order of any size.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

guess it depends what you buying, a lot of electronic stuff is twenty percent cheaper on the German amazon rather than UK, for instance!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
I saw on another recent post that someone recommended avoiding Amazon.ES because of delivery charges. The ES site charges for delivery but if you spend over £25 on the UK site its free.
I can only assume you are referring to my recent post here; http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763313

I think you will find that nowhere did I recommend avoiding Amazon.ES, I simply said;
They might be on AmazonES I haven't looked (never ever use AmazonES). As ridiculous as it sounds, if you order from AmazonES there is a delivery fee, if you order from AmazonUK (and it is over £25 from the Amazon Market place) it is delivered to Spain free!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
I can only assume you are referring to my recent post here; http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763313

I think you will find that nowhere did I recommend avoiding Amazon.ES, I simply said;
They might be on AmazonES I haven't looked (never ever use AmazonES). As ridiculous as it sounds, if you order from AmazonES there is a delivery fee, if you order from AmazonUK (and it is over £25 from the Amazon Market place) it is delivered to Spain free!
Yes I was, because although you did not use the word 'avoid', I took '(never ever use AmazonES)' to mean exactly that. I thought it reasonable to assume that others would do the same. It's not a criticism of your posting. I agree its silly that there is a delivery fee on the ES site. I just wanted to point out that the pricing is different too. Now that someone has pointed out that the german site can be cheaper for some things, I guess the message is to check them all.