Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Last Thursdays memorial...

Last Thursdays memorial...

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Last Thursdays memorial...

Whilst reading about the various efforts of individuals and media groups over the years having to literally embarrass the current and previous governments to erect and officially honour the men of ‘Bomber Command ‘, I was also glad that last Thursday went off ‘ With a bang’....

I watched part of the ceremony with my Mum whose father flew with them....She was only three yrs old when he failed to return one day but has pictures of him around her part of the house alongside more of the man who became her stepfather.....She is proud of them both.

The refusal to acknowledge the heroic efforts of these men and having to be shamed into honouring them by members of the public and various newspapers and their readers goes a long way to showing what spineless and moral vacuums there are as leaders of the country.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:39 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last Thursdays memorial...

Originally Posted by The Beast
Whilst reading about the various efforts of individuals and media groups over the years having to literally embarrass the current and previous governments to erect and officially honour the men of ‘Bomber Command ‘, I was also glad that last Thursday went off ‘ With a bang’....

I watched part of the ceremony with my Mum whose father flew with them....She was only three yrs old when he failed to return one day but has pictures of him around her part of the house alongside more of the man who became her stepfather.....She is proud of them both.

The refusal to acknowledge the heroic efforts of these men and having to be shamed into honouring them by members of the public and various newspapers and their readers goes a long way to showing what spineless and moral vacuums there are as leaders of the country.
Can you be more specific ?

For instance I recall one occasion a couple of years or more back when the two main party leaders of the day appeared to be involved in a major well publicised and somewhat embarrassing competition to gain maximum publicity from our fallen heroes.

Also as far as I know tribute is always paid to any recently fallen servicemen by both party leaders amongst others at the commencement of the following sitting of Parliament.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I too watched the programme and all I could deduce really was that 'Bomber Command' were following orders. The fact that they destroyed so many German cities and therefore killed thousands of (innocent)civilians made uncomfortable viewing.

The war was largely over by the time we bombed some cities but what choice did we have? Germany, our then leaders decided must not be allowed to rise again from the ashes as they did after WW1.

The German people by and large were all party to the atrocities, they did little to stop the rise of Hitler and his odious henchmen. They turned a blind eye to so much and many even disputed the facts afterwards

Shame on them.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

They were not even given a campaign medal.....
Shame on the government of the time and all those that have followed.