Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Am I just dreaming ?

Am I just dreaming ?

Old Sep 13th 2015, 10:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I just dreaming ?

Originally Posted by missile
I agree with all you have said bar
Please tell me where one can invest safely to get a reliable return better than inflation, over two years?
In the UK, Santander 123 accounts. Three percent, however it's only up to £20k per account. Thats about the best you can get, unfortunately
Old Sep 13th 2015, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

One other way is to buy a reasonably priced reformed town house with all facilities like wood burning stove, kitchen and bath/shower room, water and electric and rent or buy extra land close by to grow crops on with a small brick built shed to store tools etc, bit like an allotment. You could invest in a donkey to bring you to and from your irrigated land or a small vehicle with trailer. Lots of ways of doing things, nothing has to be expensive, it can and will be as expensive as you make it....fear will stop people doing many things, reality not recklessness. Start small and add to it.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Please tell me where one can invest safely to get a reliable return better than inflation, over two years?
Monthly.....1.5%..............Monthly pensioner..2%.....£50,000 max
3 Year.......2.5%..............3 Year Pensioner....3%
5 Year.......4%.................5 Year Pensioner....5%
10 Year......5%

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/gibraltar-savings-bank
Old Sep 13th 2015, 1:59 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
In the UK, Santander 123 accounts. Three percent, however it's only up to £20k per account. Thats about the best you can get, unfortunately
We have one of those, but the max deposit is £20,000. We also have TSB and Nationwide accounts currently paying 5% before tax.

Last edited by missile; Sep 13th 2015 at 2:05 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 2:01 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Monthly.....1.5%..............Monthly pensioner..2%.....£50,000 max
3 Year.......2.5%..............3 Year Pensioner....3%
5 Year.......4%.................5 Year Pensioner....5%
10 Year......5%

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/new/gibraltar-savings-bank
OP is not yet a pensioner and the suggestion was for a 2 year investment of £200,000. Thus best on offer available from Gibraltar Savings Bank is 1.5% for £50,000 max per person.

Last edited by missile; Sep 13th 2015 at 2:05 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

OP is not yet a pensioner and the suggestion was for a 2 year investment of £200,000. Thus best on offer available from Gibraltar Savings Bank is 1.5% for £50,000 max per person.
If you read the small print you will see the pensioner has to be resident Gibraltar.

But the post was just to give folks an idea of what is available, but not necessarily specific to the OP.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 4:07 pm
Started off with nothing

If you read the small print you will see the pensioner has to be resident Gibraltar.

But the post was just to give folks an idea of what is available, but not necessarily specific to the OP.
LOL, so OP would not get 1.5% on £50,000 and your post was ........ completely irrelevant
Old Sep 13th 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Lou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jonboy.
Sorry, i didn't mean that 200,000€ would pay enough interest to give an adequate living, but it'd be a help and at least the capital would be safe, not being frittered away. Or one could invest 180,000 and use 20,000€ as the money for two years' trial living.
Originally Posted by casa del sol
One other way is to buy a reasonably priced reformed town house with all facilities like wood burning stove, kitchen and bath/shower room, water and electric and rent or buy extra land close by to grow crops on with a small brick built shed to store tools etc, bit like an allotment. You could invest in a donkey to bring you to and from your irrigated land or a small vehicle with trailer. Lots of ways of doing things, nothing has to be expensive, it can and will be as expensive as you make it....fear will stop people doing many things, reality not recklessness. Start small and add to it.
I was going to suggest similar, but renting, not buying. That way, if you change your mind completely, or if you still want to stay and settle here, you can always move to a different part of Spain or elsewhere.
In my pueblo, if you're empadronado, you can have an allotment with mains water for 30€ a year. It's only 110sq.m., but it's a start. Most of the people with their own campos have lost most of their vegetable crops this year - the cisterns and wells are dry and the heat has been incredible and just buirnd the plants to crisps. If I wanted to be a small-holder in Spain, i'd choose the northwest.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL, so OP would not get 1.5% on £50,000 and your post was ........ completely irrelevant
Please read the post again when you are sober
Old Sep 13th 2015, 11:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have one of those, but the max deposit is £20,000. We also have TSB and Nationwide accounts currently paying 5% before tax.
I have three of them, wife, me and joint .... but thats interesting to hear about the TSB/Nationwide, thanks. A lot of the accounts I looked at make you shovel away so much a month, rather than put in lump sums.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

andypmg is an unknown quantity at this point

apart from checking some sites like MoneySuperMarket - Helping You Make The Most Of Your Money

I would always advise a quick call to the banks concerned you might just get a better deal
especially when so much is involved.

If paying income tax then again check the tax thresholds - some cash in say an ISA type account may pay less interest but that might in some cases reduce taxation.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

No longer I am afraid. Santander have just announced this am a hike in charges on the current account and its credit card. Analysis suggests this negates their position with other banks

Those with accounts will apparently receive letters this week.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 7:06 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see a Nationwide account that pays any more than 2%???

Can you name the account please.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:54 am
Started off with nothing

Please read the post again when you are sober
I am sober and without really trying one can easily find better rates than the paultry 1.5% you have espoused available to those who live in Gibraltar.

Last edited by missile; Sep 14th 2015 at 11:14 am.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:59 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Can you name the account please.
Flex Direct, 5% on balances up to £2,500 for the first twelve months - provided you pay in £1,000 per month which you can then immediately withdraw, see here > FlexDirect Online Bank Account Interest Rates & Charges | Nationwide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.