Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Am I just dreaming ?

Am I just dreaming ?

Old Sep 14th 2015, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Lou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond reputeLou P. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I just dreaming ?

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
Funny how everyone is obsessed with saving and providing for their retirement and maybe leaving a fat legacy.
I've noticed repeatedly in British expat forums here and in France, that the subject guaranteed to mke the longest threads is money - property prices, exchange rates, investments, cheap offers of whatever. You hardly ever see much interest in history, geology, language or customs or ecology, just mone money money. I saw one thread in France whcih was asking people to sign a petition to save dolphins and one guy replied, "What have dolphins ever done for the economy?" Duh..
Old Sep 14th 2015, 1:53 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
No longer I am afraid. Santander have just announced this am a hike in charges on the current account and its credit card. Analysis suggests this negates their position with other banks

Those with accounts will apparently receive letters this week.
Well, to be honest thats bad news but even so when you have the full amounts in the accounts the 3% is still about the best deal around at around £1200 per year. As for the credit card, if the figures dont add up then I'll scrap it and continue using my HSBC card instead

It's very very difficult to get risk free decent interest rates any more. Even the ISA's are much less than Santander.

People who took the Governments advice back in the day and save for their retirement have all be had by the goolies ..... no one who actually did that gets any rewards now. The people who borrowed their way through life however get low interest rates.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 1:54 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dizzydee
As a resident in Spain how do you legally open a new account in the UK?

As an example the Nationwide FlexDirect online application asks:

Can you confirm that you are NOT a U.S. citizen AND your ONLY country of residence for tax purposes is the U.K.?

I'm thinking it's not possible to open a new account once you are tax resident in Spain, and I reiterate, 'legally'.
The OP is currently UK resident and hoping to relocate to Spain.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 1:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Flex Direct, 5% on balances up to £2,500 for the first twelve months - provided you pay in £1,000 per month which you can then immediately withdraw, see here > FlexDirect Online Bank Account Interest Rates & Charges | Nationwide
Thats exactly what I found when I researched your earlier comment. these are all accounts where you pay in x amount per month so the interest is not a lot, whereas I want to deposit £20K for instance it doesnt fit with these accounts
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:01 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Lou P.
I've noticed repeatedly in British expat forums here and in France, that the subject guaranteed to mke the longest threads is money - property prices, exchange rates, investments, cheap offers of whatever
Well I guess thats because it is really important to people who are comitting a new life to a new country. They want to ensure they can afford it!
I didf the same ... the history, geology & customs were something I found out about in real life, rather than here :-)

The OP is currently UK resident and hoping to relocate to Spain.
I opened a bank account with Santander in the UK when I was a Spanish Resident. They were aware of my residency. i did it in person in the UK and had to provide original proof of my address in Spain and my passport
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Take some of your own advice ........ read more carefully. My post was in response to another more helpful poster who had suggested rent a property in Spain for two years and invest the £200,000.

I am sure your "advice" will be really interesting ....... for those who are retired and live in Gibraltar.
If you take your own advice and read my posts carefully plus the link you will see these rates are available to anyone resident anywhere in the world whether retired or not.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:17 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
If you take your own advice and read my posts carefully plus the link you will see these rates are available to anyone resident anywhere in the world whether retired or not.
Which post would that be?

If you read the small print you will see the pensioner has to be resident Gibraltar.

But the post was just to give folks an idea of what is available, but not necessarily specific to the OP.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

I love these investment advice threads.

I have € 17.89 in my account. Any ideas where I should stick it?
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:21 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Dondurma
I love these investment advice threads.

I have € 17.89 in my account. Any ideas where I should stick it?
Do you want my address?
Old Sep 14th 2015, 2:22 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Dondurma
Any ideas where I should stick it?
Now that is an interesting question

Last edited by missile; Sep 14th 2015 at 2:24 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Which post would that be?

Quite simply to get the pensioner rate the pensioner has to be resident in Gibraltar.

However rates up to 5% are available to everyone under slightly different conditions to the pensioners conditions.

That is why on my original post I listed the pensioners rates separately.

Also you know what you can do with your smilies
Old Sep 14th 2015, 3:25 pm
Started off with nothing

Quite simply to get the pensioner rate the pensioner has to be resident in Gibraltar.

However rates up to 5% are available to everyone under slightly different conditions to the pensioners conditions.

That is why on my original post I listed the pensioners rates separately.

Also you know what you can do with your smilies
I am sure if the OP finds your advice helpful he will thank you in due course
Old Sep 14th 2015, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dizzydee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I opened a bank account with Santander in the UK when I was a Spanish Resident. They were aware of my residency. i did it in person in the UK and had to provide original proof of my address in Spain and my passport
That is interesting. Thank you.

I didn't want to respond to the previous answer as I'm sure it would have been met with sarcasm.

Fredbargate, I can't speak for the OP but thank you. The Gibraltar option for non residents does look quite good. I honestly can't remember if the OP actually asked for any investment advice in this thread or whether it was someone going off-topic introduced the subject.

Last edited by Dizzydee; Sep 14th 2015 at 3:35 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 3:43 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Dizzydee
I didn't want to respond to the previous answer as I'm sure it would have been met with sarcasm..
I guess that comment was aimed at me?

As far as I am aware, Santander 123 accounts are not open to non-residents:
"1. Eligibility
To be eligible to open this account you must be 18 years old or over and live in the UK for tax purposes.
You may only hold a maximum of two 123 Current Accounts, one in your name and one in joint names.
Any additional requests for a 123 Current Account may result in a joint account holder becoming aware of your existing I23 Current Account(s).
If you open or hold any additional 123 Current Account(s), we may change them to another current account.
We will give you at least two months’ personal notice if we decide to change the account.
If you are not happy with the change, you are free to close the account or there may be other current accounts available to you."

see here > http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/curren...rrent-account/

Please be advised there are several threads on where to invest / save your hard earned £ / €.

Last edited by missile; Sep 14th 2015 at 3:49 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Dizzydee is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes several topics indeed, thank you. Please be advised however, that I wasn't looking for somewhere to invest or save my hard earned money. I was asking how can someone open an account if they are tax resident in Spain (no sarcasm intended).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.