am i dreaming

Old Oct 18th 2009, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

a.short.newcastle is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile am i dreaming

hi im looking for some sound information on moving to spain, probably malaga or granada region. The thing is i live in a area of northumberland that has been hit really hard by the reccession, i have a varied work background, IT, factory supervisor, also a qualified mech engineer, and heavy plant operator. Im currently working , but i think i may be laid off before christmas. I was also laid of last christmas so i know i will be entitled to the grand sum of 60.50 to live on and thats to pay all bills through the winter. Im lucky enough to own my house and could rent it for around £550-575 pm, and i have seen properties in spain for as little as 330 euros and thats including utilities, even sky tv. Is it realistic that i could take a year out in spain til the reccession picks up? , and is there any hope of work there, i mean any work not just in my work background. Im also a keen scuba diver to quite a high level, would there be any work in a local scuba club - shop or instructing. also is there any prob with driving my car over there, what would running costs be etc.any help would be much appreciated. My girlfriend would also be with me, she is a singer song writer, and she was talented enough to have a recording contract a few years back, she is also trained in beauty therapy, nail extensions etc

Last edited by a.short.newcastle; Oct 18th 2009 at 8:10 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:38 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: am i dreaming

Originally Posted by a.short.newcastle
hi im looking for some sound information on moving to spain, probably malaga or granada region. The thing is i live in a area of northumberland that has been hit really hard by the reccession, i have a varied work background, IT, factory supervisor, also a qualified mech engineer, and heavy plant operator. Im currently working , but i think i may be laid off before christmas. I was also laid of last christmas so i know i will be entitled to the grand sum of 60.50 to live on and thats to pay all bills through the winter. Im lucky enough to own my house and could rent it for around £550-575 pm, and i have seen properties in spain for as little as 330 euros and thats including utilities, even sky tv. Is it realistic that i could take a year out in spain til the reccession picks up? , and is there any hope of work there, i mean any work not just in my work background. Im also a keen scuba diver to quite a high level, would there be any work in a local scuba club - shop or instructing. also is there any prob with driving my car over there, what would running costs be etc.any help would be much appreciated. My girlfriend would also be with me, she is a singer song writer, and she was talented enough to have a recording contract a few years back, she is also trained in beauty therapy, nail extensions etc
I think on the amount of money you are talking about, if you have no savings is not really viable.
It would only give you about 220 net per month to feed yourselves and run a car.
I dont know how difficult it weill be to find work, but if you have no financial cushion, you could end up not lasting the year.
Things are tough here and in the CDS the first thing that folks have cut down on seem to be the "luxuries", like diving etc.

Some members might be able to give you a bit more advise, whereas mine is just an opinion.

Cheers and welcome.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 8:55 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Please do a search on this site because these questions have been asked so many times before.

I don´t want to put people off moving to Spain but this really is not the shangri la that people think it is. Spain has the highest unemployment ratio in Europe, running at about 20% and if you don´t speak Spanish you really don´t have a hope of gaining employment, even in the more tourist areas. My neighbour (Spanish) has two jobs just to make ends meet and he works most weekends. A move here is really not a way out of the recession. Most of us are suffering in one way or another, with the possible exception of those who work outside of this country. I have friends who have been here for many years and they are having to go back to the UK to find work.

Also, you would need enough money to see you through at least a year. You will not be able to claim benefits here, unlike the UK, unless you have been paying into the Securidad Social system and, even then, you wouldn´t receive much. Also, there isn´t free health care here. You would have to be paying into the system, or have an E106 or an E121, if you are a pensioner, or you would have to take out private medical insurance.

Sorry if this isn´t what you wanted to hear but these are facts.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

leckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant future

Yip, your dreamin mate, you'll find it even harder across here. Newcastle/NE isnt too bad just now in comparison. Dont want to burst your bubble and I know its not what you want to hear

\btw i left Sunderland in July so I have a little insight into your predicament although I work offshore so a little different.

Good luck with whatever path you chose though.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:29 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I will add some weight - most people of working age (rather than pensionable age) that moved here years ago, are now travelling back to the UK for work leaving their spouses and kids behind.

They struggle to see "the family" once a month; travelling is not just the plane fare. Add parking costs etc and any "spare" money soon disappears; also the lonliness makes some drink more than they would otherwise.

Life is tough, and even tougher when you ignore the safety net the UK has.

I would have liked to tell you different; but all the replies have told the honest truth

Davexf
Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Some good advice above, do yourself a favour, listen to it. Might be bad where you are, but there are a lot more unemployed in Spain. Couple that with the fact you don't speak good Spanish (I'm guessing), I'd be amazed if you got any job, never mind one that pays a decent wage. Personally I'd stick with your present job, drag it out as long as you can. Seems to be generally agreed that Spain will be one of the last countries to come out of recession, so don't hold your breath. As for your girlfriend, from reading these type of forums over the years it seems to me that nearly all the girls going out are nail technicians, beauty therapists, hairdressers or have a TEFL qualification. There's fierce competition out there.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the Brits out here are working 'on the black' which means that they can't claim heqlth care or any benefits, and a basic cover for private health care will take a big chunk of what is left after your rent, food isn't really any cheaper in Spain, and you get very few 'special offers' such as BOGOF. I would only move over if you had a job lined up that would give you an official contract of employment, but be aware, even if you are working oficially in Sapin and lose your job, then unemployment is only for a few months, then you get nothing. The Spanish get round a lot of these problems by 1. doing work 'on the black', 2. Having a large extended family that all rally round to support the ones suffering
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Aside from the "facts" posted above...

There is work here, there's quite a lot in fact you just have to look for it, be prepared to do whatever it takes and speak to the right people. If you have a decent IT background then you may find that you could work in Gib too. Not being able to speak Spanish if you're planning on living/working a bit on the CDS isn't an issue AT ALL, I've been here almost three years now and although I am learning Spanish I never have to speak it for my work as all my clients are English speaking.

There are always telesales style jobs and hotels/spas often need help too. My other half is TEFL qualified and makes some spare cash from this but I wouldn't want it to be the only source of income, she does speak very good Spanish though and this has proved to be vital.

I've met these people that have gone home, the types that moan about the fact there is no work and their lives are a wreck.. they typically do nothing about it to make things better, they sit on their lazy ar5es waiting for the phone/doorbell to ring and when bored of that go sit in an expensive expat bar for the afternoon. If you get out there, take advantage of all the fantastic b2b opportunities and are prepared to put in hard decent work then you will be rewarded

My advice would be to come out for 6 months, treat it like you're living it not on holiday and see what you can achieve in that time. You've nothing to lose by the sound of it and despite what you endlessly read on forums it is much cheaper to live here than the UK, it just depends how you live obviously!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ShinyAndy;
I've met these people that have gone home, the types that moan about the fact there is no work and their lives are a wreck.. they typically do nothing about it to make things better, they sit on their lazy ar5es waiting for the phone/doorbell to ring and when bored of that go sit in an expensive expat bar for the afternoon. If you get out there, take advantage of all the fantastic b2b opportunities and are prepared to put in hard decent work then you will be rewarded

My advice would be to come out for 6 months, treat it like you're living it not on holiday and see what you can achieve in that time. You've nothing to lose by the sound of it and despite what you endlessly read on forums it is much cheaper to live here than the UK, it just depends how you live obviously![/QUOTE]

Well said.
It is FAR cheaper to live in Spain than the UK provided you can remove yourself from the tourist mentality of being on constant holiday.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
There is work here, there's quite a lot in fact you just have to look for it,
There we are then, what are you waiting for? Get yourself out there, loads of jobs, and cheap as chips to live there. And provided you stick to the CDS no need to speak the lingo either.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:27 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
Aside from the "facts" posted above...

There is work here, there's quite a lot in fact you just have to look for it, be prepared to do whatever it takes and speak to the right people. If you have a decent IT background then you may find that you could work in Gib too. Not being able to speak Spanish if you're planning on living/working a bit on the CDS isn't an issue AT ALL, I've been here almost three years now and although I am learning Spanish I never have to speak it for my work as all my clients are English speaking.

There are always telesales style jobs and hotels/spas often need help too. My other half is TEFL qualified and makes some spare cash from this but I wouldn't want it to be the only source of income, she does speak very good Spanish though and this has proved to be vital.

My advice would be to come out for 6 months, treat it like you're living it not on holiday and see what you can achieve in that time. You've nothing to lose by the sound of it and despite what you endlessly read on forums it is much cheaper to live here than the UK, it just depends how you live obviously!
If the OP does gamble on this, perhaps he should also make a big effort to learn Spanish (it's always easier to learn in the country concerned). Then, if he does have to go back to the UK at least he's got another skill on the cv.

ShinyAndy is right when he says there is (some) work about, and hopefully the coming recovery will produce more. However you will be up against strong competition. On the IT front, there is also work in Madrid and Barcelona, and if you have a niche skill you may find that being British works in your favour (native English speaker). If you look on Infojobs.net using the search term "English" there are jobs on offer. If you're flexible in terms of location you should move the odds a little in your favour. It's changed now (obviously) but I never met anyone who moved to Madrid searching for work who failed to do so within a few weeks. There is a substantial ex-pat community there (British, American, Irish) and your partner could certainly get some work in hairdressing or manicures. There again, you won't get benefits paid as a new arrival ,so unless you're willing to hustle from day one, this may not appeal. Plus accommodation will be more expensive in somewhere like Madrid or Barcelona. So maybe you have to assess the risk. Are you prepared to lose 6 months rent (and living costs) in the knowledge that you will at least learn a lot about the country and its language? You may get work (and you will try to get work in a smart way, as well as "getting off your arse"); however you may not and you may need to return to the UK. End of the day you have to make your own decision and assess if it'll be still worth it even if the plan ends in failure.
Good luck in whatever you do. There will be a lot of good advice available to you on this site if you need it.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Well said.
It is FAR cheaper to live in Spain than the UK provided you can remove yourself from the tourist mentality of being on constant holiday.
Can't add anything to the debate ref work/benefits/best places to look but two observations
1. Don't please believe that being on the CdS means you don't have to speak Spanish. ?????
2. I don't know anyone who thinks it's far cheaper - or cheaper at all to live in Spain than the UK (apart from the poster above).... there are elements of expenditure that are cheaper - car tax, council tax, fuel (at the moment). Clothes, shoes, furniture, food, paper/pencils/sundries of everyday life? That's a big fat no. And no I'm not in tourist mentality - I've lived a normal home, mum's taxi, blah blah, life for 3+ years & I'm a confirmed Lidl/charity shop shopper!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fionamw
1. Don't please believe that being on the CdS means you don't have to speak Spanish. ?????
I agree, but someone is proud of the fact that he can conduct all his business in English. Yes, it's possible, but I don't care what he says, the ability to speak Spanish would definitely help any business set up in Spain. Our Spanish friends are in business, and all their computer/IT work is done by an Irish chap, difference is he speaks excellent Spanish. Like you I don't believe living in Spain is that much cheaper anymore, but even if it is, the wages are generally so much lower.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:09 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I sent this link to a friend, she is married to a Spaniard, bi-lingual, qualified and has been unemployed since Feb. (Marbella). So there are tele-sales jobs many who work for them don't get paid. I wouldn't want to be cold calling flogging time-share, dubious land investments etc. If these jobs are so good why are they constantly being advertised
Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Originally Posted by agoreira
I agree, but someone is proud of the fact that he can conduct all his business in English.
Not proud, in fact I can speak limited Spanish, just saying I don't need to - there's a difference!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.