am i dreaming

Old Oct 19th 2009, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: am i dreaming

Originally Posted by a.short.newcastle
hi im looking for some sound information on moving to spain, probably malaga or granada region..............
Unfortunatley very little chance of making it if unless you have the funds to survive for at least a year , work is very difficult to find, you say you are a qualified mechanical engineer ? as in car mechanic? mechanics seem to be one of the few trades people who survive out here(if they are any good and have some business sense ), get hold of as many expat newspapers as you can and call / write to garages ,beware most ex pat garages / mobile mechanics operate illegally, alternativley set up on your own
Old Oct 19th 2009, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

a.short.newcastle is an unknown quantity at this point

first of all, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write, even the negative ones as its really important to me to get a warts and all impression of what life is like out there. things sound particulary bad on the job scene, im not a car mechanic, my line of work is instalation and fault finding on factory automated machinery, with some welding skills on top, so guess not much work for that type of engineer?, I do have some savings, around 12 000 pounds , but to be honest i wouldnt be looking to use any of it. I do understand things are hard there , but maybe u have forgotton how hard it is to live here without a job?, £60 a week and i have every bill to pay as if i was working except council tax!, water rates, tv licence, gas , electric, would have to take car straight of the road, cancell house insurance etc, £60 a week is hardly enough to eat never mind anything else. Would i really be worse off , 330 euros all in all utilities?, i would not need dole money, i would have 200 spare, and g/friend would also have 200 a month rent from her place, I think the figures stack up, surely eating and running a scooter cant be that expensive lol, but to be honest i would have to find work or would go mad after a few months
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:28 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t think it would work on your figures, but if you lose your job you could take four to six months off and try Spain. I would try Benidorm rather than the CDS, there is no cheaper place in the winter and there may be jobs in the entertainment industry for your girlfriend (you mentioned she was a singer), but you would have a problem finding work.

But if you do go mad, you’ll have plenty of company.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:46 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

But if you do go mad, you’ll have plenty of company.
Just hang around here !
Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:48 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

first of all, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to write, even the negative ones as its really important to me to get a warts and all impression of what life is like out there. things sound particulary bad on the job scene, im not a car mechanic, my line of work is instalation and fault finding on factory automated machinery, with some welding skills on top, so guess not much work for that type of engineer?, I do have some savings, around 12 000 pounds , but to be honest i wouldnt be looking to use any of it. I do understand things are hard there , but maybe u have forgotton how hard it is to live here without a job?, £60 a week and i have every bill to pay as if i was working except council tax!, water rates, tv licence, gas , electric, would have to take car straight of the road, cancell house insurance etc, £60 a week is hardly enough to eat never mind anything else. Would i really be worse off , 330 euros all in all utilities?, i would not need dole money, i would have 200 spare, and g/friend would also have 200 a month rent from her place, I think the figures stack up, surely eating and running a scooter cant be that expensive lol, but to be honest i would have to find work or would go mad after a few months
I just want to say that it is a lot harder to live in Spain with no job. I dont see the point of coming to Spain to live like a pauper. I know what I am talking about because a lot of our folks emigrated from Spain to different places to work, some going to the UK.
They fell into two camps, the ones who lived and enjoyed spending the money they earned. And the others who did not have the money to live a fairly decent life.
Some did not have the money because all they earned, apart from the really basic necessities, they sent the money back home.
The others went out to the cinema, had cars, and had the life of the British that they worked with.

Talking to thoses people, 30 or 40 years on, you would think they had been to different planets.
To the "poorer" ones, it was like doing a long stretch of hard labour, to the "spenders" it was a blast.
Both groups came because they had no choice, no jobs in Spain and no dole either.

Just think long and hard about condeming yourselves to that kind of existence
it will spoil your view of Spain forever. The figures you are talking about are so low, that your life here would be miserable.

Last edited by JLFS; Oct 19th 2009 at 4:51 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:04 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
Aside from the "facts" posted above...

There is work here, there's quite a lot in fact you just have to look for it, be prepared to do whatever it takes and speak to the right people. If you have a decent IT background then you may find that you could work in Gib too. Not being able to speak Spanish if you're planning on living/working a bit on the CDS isn't an issue AT ALL, I've been here almost three years now and although I am learning Spanish I never have to speak it for my work as all my clients are English speaking.

There are always telesales style jobs and hotels/spas often need help too. My other half is TEFL qualified and makes some spare cash from this but I wouldn't want it to be the only source of income, she does speak very good Spanish though and this has proved to be vital.

I've met these people that have gone home, the types that moan about the fact there is no work and their lives are a wreck.. they typically do nothing about it to make things better, they sit on their lazy ar5es waiting for the phone/doorbell to ring and when bored of that go sit in an expensive expat bar for the afternoon. If you get out there, take advantage of all the fantastic b2b opportunities and are prepared to put in hard decent work then you will be rewarded

My advice would be to come out for 6 months, treat it like you're living it not on holiday and see what you can achieve in that time. You've nothing to lose by the sound of it and despite what you endlessly read on forums it is much cheaper to live here than the UK, it just depends how you live obviously!

Well please PM me all these jobs, cos I havent found anything apart from commision only telesales in the 18 months I've been here - I dont speak Spanish fluently. I'm near málaga. We¡re close to going back to the UK, but my life is far from a wreck and I rarely moan!!

Jo xx
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:10 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I get 1,500€ a month allowance and I barely scrape by, , I have two children which take up alot of that I guess, but if I were on my own and only had 400€ to live on. I couldnt do it!!! Spain isnt cheap anymore, the rent is like the UK you get what you pay for!

However, on a brighter note, providing you dont burn your UK bridges, come out for an extended holiday and see how you find it

Jo xxx
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:16 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
I get 1,500€ a month allowance and I barely scrape by, , I have two children which take up alot of that I guess, but if I were on my own and only had 400€ to live on. I couldnt do it!!! Spain isnt cheap anymore, the rent is like the UK you get what you pay for!

However, on a brighter note, providing you dont burn your UK bridges, come out for an extended holiday and see how you find it

Jo xxx
Good suggestion, better than signing a rental contract with a tenant in the UK.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Mookster will become famous soon enough

Hi
We have just returned to the UK after a 6 month trial experiance and these are my observations for you :
We found that in general if you use the markets and be carefull were you shop it is slightly cheaper than the UK but not a lot.
Electric is horrendusly expensive compared to the UK.
If you want/need internet it is either very difficult to get or very expensive if your in a hurry....but its available.
We paid 600 Euros a month for a villa, bit isolated on the top of Monte Pego but at least it had a pool the problem with being so isolated though was that it was almost imposible to net work with people to find work, although i when we did intereact I found work ( Im a web site designer )
We spent about 300 euros a week on shopping, petrol, eating out etc and we wernt frivoulous, far from it.
If you are getting a place for 330 including bills be prepared to be either living in a hovel or a not very nice area.
Bringing your car over is fine but be aware that you UK insurance will liely only cover you for 90 days abroad and in some cases not that.
On the plus side the lifestyle, lack of traffic, excellent weather, laidback attitudes is great and we loved every minute of it (except the thunder, rain and lightening for the last 3 weeks....talk about "apocolypse now" lol )

I wouldnt even consider going to Spain without at least 1200 euros a month to live on.....less than that and you will either be living in a hovel and out spending all the time or living in a nice place with no money to go out.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:45 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

the problem with being so isolated though was that it was almost imposible to net work with people to find work, although i when we did intereact I found work
For those people who are finding it hard to find work, can you expand on that? Was it purely with British expats, or with locals too? How and where did you interact?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

i can't understand why people seem to think it would be easier being skint in spain!! Its so much harder! I mean the OP hasn't even begun to think about what he would do for healthcare, something none of us know if we'll ever need! Obviously he won't be able to afford his 250 a month for the healthcare so will have to go private? That'll eat into his 200 or so (400 with g/friends money) a month.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

*phew*

Thank goodness I apparently live in a much better Spain than everyone else here
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

*phew*

Except me!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 8:02 pm
Banned

*phew*

Well I'm not far away from you and yes, its great here, but there are no jobs!

Jo xxx
Old Oct 19th 2009, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Mookster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
For those people who are finding it hard to find work, can you expand on that? Was it purely with British expats, or with locals too? How and where did you interact?
Well I would say 80% of the work I picked up was with expats and 20% spanish.
You can network anywere at anytime, we did voluntary work at the local APAD walking the dogs and met a lot of people through that and from there we built a social scene for ourselves.
At one point we were pot washing in a restaurant, we wernt that hard up but it was another way to network lol.
You take what you can when you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.