Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Alhambra Palace

The Alhambra Palace

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Alhambra Palace

I've been once and we had a guide, next time we will go with the audio option! That way you can linger as long as you like instead of being rushed through and only seeing part of this amazing place.
There are some excellent guide books on sale which make a wonderful souvenir of your visit.

Haven't stayed at the America, but we did have lunch there, it was quite good.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

An awsome place. Been many times, hope to visit many more. Almost as good as Pompei
If you are a mobile phone user, when at the entrance booths make sure your bluetooth is switched on, and you will receive an illustrated mini guide on your phone - FOC. Really cool.
Just popped in from Italy, so won't take my coat off, not stopping.
'lluego,
'o nonno
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by polly.walker View Post
Has anyone stayed at the Hotel America. Booked now but just wondered what to expect.

Polly
Not the America but we stayed at the Hotel Alhambra Palace and loved it

http://www.h-alhambrapalace.es/default-en.html
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Audio guide is very good,I`m sure it was Alan Rickman doing the English version when I last went
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

The Nasrid palace is the busy spot and the highlight. If you get in early enough head directly there to hopefully beat the crowd. After that the crowds shouldn't be too much of a problem since it's quite a big area. If it's a nice day bring a book a take the time to sit and enjoy the gardens of the Generalife.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough

As someone has already said, tickets are available now from La Caixa both online and at the ATMs. However, if you do ever find yourself stuck, pick up one of these: http://www.granadatur.com/minisites/bono-turistico/

You can buy them on the day for €25 and they include, among other things, entrance to the Alhambra which is always available, even when La Caixa has sold out. I´ve bought them a couple of times and yes, if you only use it for the Alhambra then you do pay over the odds but it´s surely worth it to avoid missing out. However if you do the tour bus as well (normally €18) then you´ve saved a packet already. It also includes most of what Granada has to offer so well worth a gander.
Old May 9th 2011, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

El escoces loco is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting. I was a student at Edinburgh University way back in 1976. I did my year abroad in Granada and everyday would stride up the hill to the
Alhambra archives to do my dissertation. Then for large parts of the year there were a few tourists, mainly Brits or Americans.

Then the world was a much smaller place and Spain had just emerged from almost 40 years of dictatorship under Franco. Spain was desperately poor and there were donkeys in the street. The people though were fantastic.

I went back a few years ago and did not recognize the place. The Alhambra had become big business and people were being 'processed' like commodities. No time to ask questions. Spain has undoubtedly become richer but has lost something in the process.

Originally Posted by polly.walker View Post
I am going to be visiting the Alhambra Palace in June.

I have booked my hotel but would be grateful for any advice regarding the palace visit itself.

Does anyone know whether it's worth while booking for the guided tour, or does the palace have an audio guide like some of the castles in the UK.

Polly
Old May 9th 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=El escoces loco;9352877]Very interesting. I was a student at Edinburgh University way back in 1976. I did my year abroad in Granada and everyday would stride up the hill to the
Alhambra archives to do my dissertation. Then for large parts of the year there were a few tourists, mainly Brits or Americans.

Then the world was a much smaller place and Spain had just emerged from almost 40 years of dictatorship under Franco. Spain was desperately poor and there were donkeys in the street. The people though were fantastic.

I went back a few years ago and did not recognize the place. The Alhambra had become big business and people were being 'processed' like commodities. No time to ask questions. Spain has undoubtedly become richer but has lost something in the process.[/
QUOTE]

Yes I remember those times fondly too!

I agree that Spain has lost much of its charm over the ensuing years, but the people now have a better life than back then!
In those days they were very poor and downtrodden and had none of the luxuries that we all took for granted.
Some of the immense changes are regrettable, but it's the price that has to be paid for progress....and the Spanish people deserve to have a decent standard of living after all!