Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Alhambra Palace

The Alhambra Palace

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Alhambra Palace

I am going to be visiting the Alhambra Palace in June.

I have booked my hotel but would be grateful for any advice regarding the palace visit itself.

Does anyone know whether it's worth while booking for the guided tour, or does the palace have an audio guide like some of the castles in the UK.

Polly
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:07 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Alhambra Palace

Originally Posted by polly.walker
I am going to be visiting the Alhambra Palace in June.

I have booked my hotel but would be grateful for any advice regarding the palace visit itself.

Does anyone know whether it's worth while booking for the guided tour, or does the palace have an audio guide like some of the castles in the UK.

Polly
Well ... when you get there, there will be two queues. One for those collecting pre booked tickets, and the other for those that have just turned up on the day. When it reaches a certain figure of "turnups" they stop letting you in. You then have to wait for the afternoon session.

We tried to book ours on line but couldnt, so just turned up early and got in fine. I'm guessing in the summer months it may be more difficult though

If it's changed then I'm sure someone will chip in, but thats the way it was when we went

Pics from our last visit HERE
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:21 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

A beautiful place. We loved it. It was built in the 14th Century by the moors who occupied Spain. Its full of history and many, many interesting facts. So I recommend booking a guided tour.

Jo xxx
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:20 am
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

I've been twice, and would go again. Both times were on organised tours so we had a guide. Different guide on each visit and both were extremely knowledgeable. Generally people don't do this trip unless they are genuinely interested in the architecture and culture hence the guides were asked a lot of questions, all answered fully.

I would definitely have a human guide rather than audio version again even on a third visit. The only advantage I could see to using the audio is if you wanted to linger in some areas. The gardens are beautiful and it's very tempting to find a seat in the shade and just sit and admire.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they have audio guides, you see many walking around with one stuck to their ear! I have been four times, and would quite happily go again! I would strongly advise to book, otherwise you might trek all the way up there and fail to get in, like my brother! You might get in, but why risk it, you don't save anything. Unless it's changed, you could book in all BBBV banks, also have a look at this site, you can book there.
For an excellent view of the Alhambra, especially at sunset, try Mirador de San Nicolas in the Albaicín district of Granada.

Last edited by agoreira; Apr 22nd 2011 at 11:55 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:42 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

It is a big palace and there is a lot of walking. Wear comfortable shoes and a hat, take a bottle of water. You might find it uncomfortably hot in June.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

A couple we know went this week, did not book in advance, arrived at 9 a.m., and never got it, seems fully booked, but is the Easter holidays, so would advise to book before you go.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Once you have your ticket you will see there is a time shown on it for entry into one of the palaces (sorry can't remember the name of it). If I remember correctly it is a half hour window when you can enter that palace. You can stay looking around as long as you like but you will only be allowed entry into that particular palace during your allocated time slot so you will need to make sure you are queing for entry to that one in time.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for the info.

We are booked into the Hotel America, which is in the grounds I believe so, we can be there as soon as it opens I think. We are staying for two nights.

As we are history buffs as one might say (some would call me a tad excessive) we are extremely excited about the visit.

Polly
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cats-R-Us
Once you have your ticket you will see there is a time shown on it for entry into one of the palaces (sorry can't remember the name of it). If I remember correctly it is a half hour window when you can enter that palace. You can stay looking around as long as you like but you will only be allowed entry into that particular palace during your allocated time slot so you will need to make sure you are queing for entry to that one in time.
Agree, they are very strict on that. Have seen a few pleading to be let in after arriving late for their slot, but to no avail. The evening visit is a bit different, only the palaces are open, minimalist lighting, but very atmospheric and enjoyable. It says no flash, so I didn't bother taking one (being a law abiding citizen!) but everyone was flashing away like mad, so to speak! You'll get very few photos otherwise, tripods are banned, so it's difficult.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, they have audio guides, .
I've used the audio guides several times and I really like them, you get much more out of the visit. I had to leave passport/DNI as a kind of deposit, if I remember correctly so remember to have something with you.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel America. Booked now but just wondered what to expect.

Polly
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by polly.walker
Has anyone stayed at the Hotel America. Booked now but just wondered what to expect.

Polly
No, too posh for me! Saying that, I've no idea what it costs! Some reviews here and here.

Last edited by agoreira; Apr 22nd 2011 at 9:29 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, they have audio guides, you see many walking around with one stuck to their ear! I have been four times, and would quite happily go again! I would strongly advise to book, otherwise you might trek all the way up there and fail to get in, like my brother! You might get in, but why risk it, you don't save anything. Unless it's changed, you could book in all BBBV banks, also have a look at this site, you can book there.
For an excellent view of the Alhambra, especially at sunset, try Mirador de San Nicolas in the Albaicín district of Granada.
BBVA lost the contract a few years back when some local difficulty caused consternation. Now tickets are sold online by LA CAIXA bank people and good bank it is too.

You can buy tickets here :

http://www.servicaixa.com/nav/landin...bra/index.html

Go with the audio guide and read up about the history of the place beforehand. Then admire the architecture inside.
There is a lot to read up about on the excellent official Alhambra web site:

http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

On one of the sites it says if you book a ticket for two people you only get one audio guide to share. Hoe does that work???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.