Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice: Solicitor % Fees

Advice: Solicitor % Fees

Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: Solicitor % Fees

Originally Posted by mrs teapot
oh god, have I been had again?!!!! I am buying. Is that 7% iva for solicitor fees or 16%. Shit. I've set things in motion. Can anyone clarify this? I only have a few hours before I go.

Thanks in advance.

Where are you buying, remind me
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:16 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by mrs teapot
oh god, have I been had again?!!!! I am buying. Is that 7% iva for solicitor fees or 16%. Shit. I've set things in motion. Can anyone clarify this? I only have a few hours before I go.

Thanks in advance.
Ah hang on if the solicitor is classed as self employed then he must levy IVA at 16% on all services. The IVA on the property is 7% but it seems the solicitor charges 16% under the rules of self employment for his services.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
1% for sure
Hiya ...just wondered if you had a solicitor..?? Probably do...wndered which one it is....?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
Hiya ...just wondered if you had a solicitor..?? Probably do...wndered which one it is....?
Carolina Just Miro in Gandia. I had a right numpty before that who never did anything unless I threatened her with serious bodily harm, but Carolina is a bit Rottweiler like and once she gets hold of a job she doesn't let go ... sorted out a few problems for us and is quite reasonable.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Carolina Just Miro in Gandia. I had a right numpty before that who never did anything unless I threatened her with serious bodily harm, but Carolina is a bit Rottweiler like and once she gets hold of a job she doesn't let go ... sorted out a few problems for us and is quite reasonable.
She sounds great !!!!

We have a fab lawyer too.....he did our wills recently, and we were skint but obviously would've paid him after seeing the notary....but when we asked when to pay ...he said "you pay me next week, next month, next year, no pasa nada....."

How lush is he?????

Just making sure you were happy with your lawyer...sorry if the spelling or grammar is a bit cr*p but Issy my 2yr old daughter just DELETED the message TWICE...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:56 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
sorry if the spelling or grammar is a bit cr*p but Issy my 2yr old daughter just DELETED the message TWICE...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh
Just did our wills also .... asked her for her bank details to send the money and she just didn't seem interested
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just did our wills also .... asked her for her bank details to send the money and she just didn't seem interested
Mint...geez the wills wouldn't be valid until you settled the bill in the UK!

The trust of the Spanish people who I've came across is something you can not take for granted...it is so endearing.

That's why you just want to give them more, or at least a bottle or box of something nice.

Awwwww love makes the world go round..not MONEY.....

Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough

Looks like ive been had again. If there are self-employed solicitors out there having to get us to pay more than double IVA, then how do they get enough work???!!!

Yours, tired n fed up, but grateful for all above who posted to help me out.

mrs tediously tea-ed off teapot.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

7% is for transfer tax or IVA on the purchase of the property. The IVA on fees for professional services (and those of a lawyer) whether self employed or through a company is 16%. A fee of 1% of the purchase price with a minimum of €1.500 is normal (as long as he does the job properly!)

Make sure you get a properly receipted bill as this can be set against your Capital Gains Tax when you sell.

Last edited by Beachcomber; Mar 27th 2007 at 10:20 pm.