British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Advice: Solicitor % Fees (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/advice-solicitor-%25-fees-437694/)

mrs teapot Mar 26th 2007 9:38 pm

Advice: Solicitor % Fees

I have made preliminary contact with a Solicitor. So far, without speaking on the phone, he says his fees are more or less 4%. I want to haggle for less, am I a tightwad?! No seriously, what is the norm for property sale fees, please?

spain Mar 26th 2007 10:02 pm

Re: Advice: Solicitor % Fees

Originally Posted by mrs teapot (Post 4564724)
I have made preliminary contact with a Solicitor. So far, without speaking on the phone, he says his fees are more or less 4%. I want to haggle for less, am I a tightwad?! No seriously, what is the norm for property sale fees, please?

no you haggle away

think we paid about 1000€ but that was a few years ago

good luck with your nenegotiations

mrs teapot Mar 26th 2007 10:12 pm

So, its the norm then?

Thanks for replying. Anyone know an exact GOOD percentage% they paid?? I would appreciate it. I've only got until tomorrow to sort this out. Thanks.

spain Mar 26th 2007 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by mrs teapot (Post 4564895)
So, its the norm then?

Thanks for replying. Anyone know an exact GOOD percentage% they paid?? I would appreciate it. I've only got until tomorrow to sort this out. Thanks.

they usually say allow approx 10% of the property price for fees which incl solicitor, notary and taxes

mrs teapot Mar 27th 2007 12:17 am

Thanks Spain for your reply.

Trouble is at present Im told, via email it more or less 4%. I have read that you should negotiate down. Now if it stays at 4% that would make my fees way more than 10% - ie 7% for IVA, 4 % for lawyer then notaria etc etc.

I have surfed and surfed this site, but cant find a percentage re Spain (can other countries).

Off to surf the wider web....

thanks again for replying, I really appreciate it.

I owe you a brew!

mrs teapot :)

jdr Mar 27th 2007 6:35 am

Originally Posted by mrs teapot (Post 4565223)
Thanks Spain for your reply.

Trouble is at present Im told, via email it more or less 4%. I have read that you should negotiate down. Now if it stays at 4% that would make my fees way more than 10% - ie 7% for IVA, 4 % for lawyer then notaria etc etc.

I have surfed and surfed this site, but cant find a percentage re Spain (can other countries).

Off to surf the wider web....

thanks again for replying, I really appreciate it.

I owe you a brew!

mrs teapot :)

Tell him to TEA OFF

Miss Naughty Mar 27th 2007 7:37 am

The solicitor we deal with and when we was looking to purchase a property it would only be 1000 euros, and he would not charge us when he looked at the note simple of other houses, we always have free advice from him.

regarding banks, mortgages etc etc Very hard to find a lawyer you trust and is highly recommended :D

Ambre Solaire Mar 27th 2007 8:05 am

Our Lawyer charges 1% of the purchase price of the property but sets a minimum fee at 1500 Eu

Hillybilly Mar 27th 2007 8:56 am

1% is the norm unless it's a complicated transaction.
4% is a rip off, find another lawyer!

mrs teapot Mar 27th 2007 8:59 am

That is what I suspected, but needed confirming!

Thank you so much to everyone for confirming this for me

I have found one that is the same as mentioned above. 1% but with minimum fee of E1.500, plus 16% IVA (I hope you will not tell me that 16% IVA is wrong now!!!! gulp)_.

I'm off to sort it out. Thanks so much.

mrs teapot - no flamin time for a cuppa this morning - gasp!

Hillybilly Mar 27th 2007 9:12 am

I'll put the kettle on for you this time! Sounds like you need one!

mrs teapot Mar 27th 2007 9:49 am

Thanks Hillybilly! I needed that. Sigh.

The annoying thing is the 4% solicitor is a cousin of a very good Spanish friend of mine. Grrrrrrrr - he saw me coming - the vulnerable English lass - NOT! :)

SmartiesUK Mar 27th 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by mrs teapot (Post 4566315)
That is what I suspected, but needed confirming!

Thank you so much to everyone for confirming this for me

I have found one that is the same as mentioned above. 1% but with minimum fee of E1.500, plus 16% IVA (I hope you will not tell me that 16% IVA is wrong now!!!! gulp)_.

I'm off to sort it out. Thanks so much.

mrs teapot - no flamin time for a cuppa this morning - gasp!

16% is wrong, its 7% I have it here in black and white, then again thats for buying, are you selling :confused:

mrs teapot Mar 27th 2007 5:42 pm

oh god, have I been had again?!!!! I am buying. Is that 7% iva for solicitor fees or 16%. Shit. I've set things in motion. Can anyone clarify this? I only have a few hours before I go.

Thanks in advance.

Mitzyboy Mar 27th 2007 6:12 pm

1% for sure