Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Old May 17th 2009, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Originally Posted by chrisw
Hi all,

Bob_day, sorry, I forgot to thank you for your comments. They were very reassuring and most helpfull. Many thanks.

Kaff99, you may be right with regard to the 60 day time restriction. It has been SUCH a long time since I checked with them We will have to contact them again anyway so will clarify that point. Cheers!

love Chris XXX
I have insurance in the uK with the RAC. I took out their European extension which gives up to 90 days per trip. Plenty of time to get it onto Spanish plates and insured.

As to the cost of headlight change give your local franchise dealer a call. That's what I did and they gave me a price for supply and fitting there and then, unlike the Merc dealer in Velez who never did get back to me with a price.
Old May 17th 2009, 7:20 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaff99
Sorry for not being clear on this - The Empadron is a certificate from the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento). You go on the list as living in the area.

To get the Certificate you need NIEs and a rental agreement.
To get NIEs you have to go to the Police Station.

As for the registration tax - our car was just over 3 years old when we re-registered it. I am not clear on the rules on this - maybe someone else on the forum knows the current rules on this now.

In our situation I was told that - IF we were living in Spain for more than 6 months you would have to pay tax on it.

We paid a company to do the work for us and they applied for a Tax exemption Certificate.

Hope this is clearer.
K
Or your copia simple for the property you are buying.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaff99
Hi Chrisw

I would suggest that if your car is not a left hand drive - don't bring it over to Spain. It is so dangerous to drive especially when overtaking.

We recently bought a LHD car in the UK and brought it down. It cost us 1000 euros to change the plates.

Also - we did change our car registration details to the mother-in-laws address which we got back in just a couple of weeks so you will have time before you leave.

Driving a rhd car in a "drive on the right" country is not dangerous ,although some drivers may be ,if you lack the confidence to do this you should question whether you should be driving at all.

Rgds

Rotor
Old May 19th 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

lynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the rough

Hi
I am selling my spanish plated left hand drive here in the uk. I would be interested in a swop even for a uk rhd drive if its similar to ours. Our ad is in the classifieds. Its a blue ford focus 2005. Fantastic car in great condition and low mileage.
Thanks