British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Advice re (yes again!) car registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/advice-re-yes-again-car-registration-609449/)

chrisw May 16th 2009 11:25 am

Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Hi all,
I know that this is a subject that seems to get everyones back up, but one which we would value any advice or recomendations on nevertheless.

Our house is now sold, contracts are exchanged, and we are completing on 17th June. We will stay with our daughter for a coupl;e of weeks to tie up loose ends and have our ferry crossing booked for 5th July.

My query is this. We were going to tax the car for 12 months (due end of July) so that we could get the MOT done before we go to ensure we have continued insurance coverage and are driving legally. We have temporary rented accomodation lined up for us in Spain, but will be looking for alternative accomodation while when we get out there.

We don't know whether we should change the address details on the car documentation (and driving licenses) to our daughter's address (staying with her after we move from here), or whether to just leave the address as it is until we get permanently located in Spain. Although we understand that the car should be Spanish registered regardless, by 6 months.

If we change details now, paperwork could be playing catchup with us for months so don't really know what we SHOULD do. What is the best way around this dilema?

Would appreciate your suggestions, I know there are plenty of you out there that will be able to answer this query. Thanks guys!!

Love Chris XXX :wub:

Jur May 16th 2009 11:40 am

Re: Advice re (yes again!) car registration

Sell your Uk plated car and get a Spanish car here.

chrisw May 16th 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 7577013)
Sell your Uk plated car and get a Spanish car here.

Hi Jur,
Lol! :rofl: Now that would just be TOO easy wouldn't it Jur! Lol! If I could afford to I would, but unfortunately we have to work around our scenario for the best solution in this instance. Input appreciated nevertheless. :D

Chris XXX :thumbsup:

Jur May 16th 2009 12:21 pm

Well yeah, it is the easiest way, I´m in the matriculation process for the 3rd time now and find it a hassle. Good luck with it!

To where are you moving ?

kaff99 May 16th 2009 2:50 pm

Hi Chrisw

I would suggest that if your car is not a left hand drive - don't bring it over to Spain. It is so dangerous to drive especially when overtaking.

We recently bought a LHD car in the UK and brought it down. It cost us 1000 euros to change the plates.

Also - we did change our car registration details to the mother-in-laws address which we got back in just a couple of weeks so you will have time before you leave.

chrisw May 16th 2009 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by kaff99 (Post 7577338)
Hi Chrisw

I would suggest that if your car is not a left hand drive - don't bring it over to Spain. It is so dangerous to drive especially when overtaking.

We recently bought a LHD car in the UK and brought it down. It cost us 1000 euros to change the plates.

Also - we did change our car registration details to the mother-in-laws address which we got back in just a couple of weeks so you will have time before you leave.

Hi Kaff99,

I have to agree with you on that and can't say I am looking forward to driving a RHD over there, :ohmy: but can't afford to change it so will just have to be extra cautious. Unless of course the right 6 numbers come up later this evening! :eek: Or maybe we could learn to drive backwards? ;) Your concern is, however, much appreciated and we will definately heed the warning re overtaking.

Chris XXX :wub:

Mitzyboy May 16th 2009 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by chrisw (Post 7577349)
Hi Kaff99,

I have to agree with you on that and can't say I am looking forward to driving a RHD over there, :ohmy: but can't afford to change it so will just have to be extra cautious. Unless of course the right 6 numbers come up later this evening! :eek: Or maybe we could learn to drive backwards? ;) Your concern is, however, much appreciated and we will definately heed the warning re overtaking.

Chris, the thing about driving a RHD car over here is that you adapt your driving style and techniques if you want to stay safe. It doesnt need to be dangerous at all. I've been driving a RHD car here (I do have LHD also) for many years and its not been a problem.

chrisw May 16th 2009 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 7577086)
Well yeah, it is the easiest way, I´m in the matriculation process for the 3rd time now and find it a hassle. Good luck with it!

To where are you moving ?

Hi Jur,
Have to say that changing over to Spanish registration is going to be a great deal of hassle. :( Trouble is, I don't think we would get anywhere near enough in selling ours, to buy another one out there. We have a 4X4 (definately not flavour of the month to sell) and would be quite happy to have something like a berlingo or a partner as they are as upright as the 4X4s (have a back problem). But can't see us clearing enough to repurchase out there. It has to go in for a service in the next few weeks, so it might be worth seeing exactly how much they would offer for it. Will let you know. Do you know how long delivery would take on a new car out there? Everyone seems to advise against buying second hand out there. :ohmy:

We are moving to a rented apartment in Miajadas, Extremadura, which we intend to use as a base whilst we look for permanent accomodation. So fairly rural area, and may well need to have a 4X4. I feel another dilema coming on! ;)

chrisw May 16th 2009 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7577354)
Chris, the thing about driving a RHD car over here is that you adapt your driving style and techniques if you want to stay safe. It doesnt need to be dangerous at all. I've been driving a RHD car here (I do have LHD also) for many years and its not been a problem.

Cheers for that Mittzy, you have put my mind at rest :teeth_smile:. Obviously in an ideal world we would have done what was the most practicle, and changed the car for a LHD, but unfortunately, finances dictate. There is also the fact that our car has (to date) been 100% reliable which in itself is a great comfort. Thanks Mitzy! :thumbsup:

snikpoh May 16th 2009 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by chrisw (Post 7577376)
Cheers for that Mittzy, you have put my mind at rest :teeth_smile:. Obviously in an ideal world we would have done what was the most practicle, and changed the car for a LHD, but unfortunately, finances dictate. There is also the fact that our car has (to date) been 100% reliable which in itself is a great comfort. Thanks Mitzy! :thumbsup:

We decided, like you, to keep our UK RHD car (better the devil you know). Yes, it costs to get it matriculated here (lights, plates, technical registartion, tax etc. etc.) but we think it was worth it.

Like Mitzy, I drive both LHD and RHD and have never found it an issue. As he says, you adapt.

rugbymatt May 16th 2009 3:56 pm

There are three threads covering the SAME topic on page one alone............................................. .

chrisw May 16th 2009 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 7577391)
We decided, like you, to keep our UK RHD car (better the devil you know). Yes, it costs to get it matriculated here (lights, plates, technical registartion, tax etc. etc.) but we think it was worth it.

Like Mitzy, I drive both LHD and RHD and have never found it an issue. As he says, you adapt.

Hi Snikpoh,
Thanks for that. It is nice to be reasured that adapting can be as successful providing ones attention has been drawn to possible problems.:) Forewarned is forearmed an' all that! The only thing we haven't been able to find out, is how much it is likely to cost to have the headlights changed. We checked with our dealership who didn't have a clue. We also contacted the manufactures who likewise, didn't have a clue. :unsure:

The way I see it is that we would have to take the car to a Spanish dealership who would carry out the work, so why couldn't the manufacturer (who supply the dealership with the parts) advise as to possible costs? It appears, (don't know if this is even correct mind) that our car's lights are not adaptable and therefore would require replacing. I must admit I found that difficult to believe as it is not yet 4 years old and I would have thought that they could have been readjusted, albeit that the lens covers (rather than the entire lighting unit) may have needed changing to reverse the beam' direction.:confused:

Anyone know, or converted a Honda CRV? Would be very grateful for any feedback.

chrisw May 16th 2009 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 7577410)
There are three threads covering the SAME topic on page one alone............................................. .

Now now, Matt, don't be so intolerant. My question related to whether or not to re-register our car to another UK address before moving to Spain. If I missed that subject in the "free beer" section, then I beg your humble pardon for making you sit through a "repeat peformance". :o

snikpoh May 16th 2009 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by chrisw (Post 7577412)
Hi Snikpoh,
Thanks for that. It is nice to be reasured that adapting can be as successful providing ones attention has been drawn to possible problems.:) Forewarned is forearmed an' all that! The only thing we haven't been able to find out, is how much it is likely to cost to have the headlights changed. We checked with our dealership who didn't have a clue. We also contacted the manufactures who likewise, didn't have a clue. :unsure:

The way I see it is that we would have to take the car to a Spanish dealership who would carry out the work, so why couldn't the manufacturer (who supply the dealership with the parts) advise as to possible costs? It appears, (don't know if this is even correct mind) that our car's lights are not adaptable and therefore would require replacing. I must admit I found that difficult to believe as it is not yet 4 years old and I would have thought that they could have been readjusted, albeit that the lens covers (rather than the entire lighting unit) may have needed changing to reverse the beam' direction.:confused:

Anyone know, or converted a Honda CRV? Would be very grateful for any feedback.

There are many people that offer this service and charge far less than dealerships - try 'admin at headlights4u dot com'

Please don't also forget that you may also have to change rear fog lights and reversing lights if you only have one of each!

chrisw May 16th 2009 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 7577527)
There are many people that offer this service and charge far less than dealerships - try 'admin at headlights4u dot com'

Please don't also forget that you may also have to change rear fog lights and reversing lights if you only have one of each!

Thanks Snikpoh, very useful info provided. :thumbup: I have sent them an email asking them to provide me with a quote! :thumbsup: Cheers!

Love Chris XXX
:wub: