Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

advice please re UK tv in Spain

advice please re UK tv in Spain

Old Dec 25th 2013, 3:24 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice please re UK tv in Spain

Hi BAT7311,

Perhaps you can explain why it is that Skype says the internet connection is not sufficient to have a video link. If Skype can´t get sufficient bandwidth, are you really telling me that one of your boxes will give me all the TV that I want?
Davexf
Old Dec 25th 2013, 12:25 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MAG250 DIRECT SALES

this post is for the benefit of those reading it .i am only giving details of the manufacturers and their point of sales . no money is made by myself ..

FAO
Andrey Stefishin [email protected]

http://www.infomir.eu/eng/products/i...mag-250-micro/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYavoyfgU9w

price for a single box is €55 plus IVA plus postage (go for DHL economy ,as it comes via correos and you can get it from post office if your not in )
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:04 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick update, but tonight it looks as if Asta 2E has finally started its moved from the test location (43 east) to the UK TV location - 28 east.

So several days more to wait before it is in location, and then we should see some test frequencies being fired up, and then we can find out what its reception will belike across Spain...
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Garyandjan is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any new satellites helping the reception in Pollenca, Mallorca. Is it the mountains that stop reliable connections for Uk TV?
Old Jan 15th 2014, 5:37 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garyandjan
Are there any new satellites helping the reception in Pollenca, mallorca. Is it the mountains that stop reliable connections for Uk TV?
UK satellite TV reception is quite good here. Dishes as small as 1.2m receive everything. Pollença is a particularly English-dominant area, so most lets have English sat tv.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:56 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garyandjan
Are there any new satellites helping the reception in Pollenca, Mallorca. Is it the mountains that stop reliable connections for Uk TV?
As a general rule, if you can see the sun at about 10-11 am in the morning, then that is roughly the direction of where the satellites are located.
So if an area is in the shade at that time, then reception from the satellites may be disrupted by the thing that is casting the shadow.

3 of the 4 previous UK TV satellites are being replaced. The first was replaced Dec 2012, the next will be in the next few weeks, and the last towards the latter parts of 2014.

The new satellites are said to have beams which will make it harder for reception in Spain, although for some areas reception has actually improved (using the first new satellites as a benchmark). But yes, for other areas reception has got worse than before. Although reception can be improved by upgrading to a larger dish.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 10:34 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
As a general rule, if you can see the sun at about 10-11 am in the morning, then that is roughly the direction of where the satellites are located.
So if an area is in the shade at that time, then reception from the satellites may be disrupted by the thing that is casting the shadow.

3 of the 4 previous UK TV satellites are being replaced. The first was replaced Dec 2012, the next will be in the next few weeks, and the last towards the latter parts of 2014.

The new satellites are said to have beams which will make it harder for reception in Spain, although for some areas reception has actually improved (using the first new satellites as a benchmark). But yes, for other areas reception has got worse than before. Although reception can be improved by upgrading to a larger dish.
Spain will be looking a like Jodrell Bank soon
Old Jan 15th 2014, 11:01 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MAG250 DIRECT SALES

Originally Posted by BAT7311
this post is for the benefit of those reading it .i am only giving details of the manufacturers and their point of sales . no money is made by myself ..

FAO
Andrey Stefishin [email protected]

http://www.infomir.eu/eng/products/i...mag-250-micro/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYavoyfgU9w

price for a single box is €55 plus IVA plus postage (go for DHL economy ,as it comes via correos and you can get it from post office if your not in )
Why not make your on UKTV Box.. look at the page on facebook............... IPTV Spain ..They tell you how to have Free. internet TV

Last edited by tommy.irene; Jan 15th 2014 at 11:03 am.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 11:16 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MAG250 DIRECT SALES

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
Why not make your on UKTV Box.. look at the page on facebook............... IPTV Spain ..They tell you how to have Free. internet TV
You need internet which can deliver it reliably. Very rare in Mallorca. Besides, the quality of Satellite TV is quite obviously better than receiving it by internet (movies over internet are not the same as live TV and can be excellent, even with poor internet).

If like us, you live in an area with good UK satellite reception, you'll be far happier with Satellite (and its not expensive as some would like you to believe). I do recommend having both Satellite and internet movie capability. If you can do it DIY (its not all that difficult) I recommend visiting the shop "Redi" in Palma (just Google it). They have everything at wholesale prices, and even combination Satellite boxes with Internet (Android like in smartphones ) built in.

Last edited by amideislas; Jan 15th 2014 at 12:22 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Spain will be looking a like Jodrell Bank soon
When we first got our house we were told you needed a 1.9m or 2.4m dish in our area for UK tv, I was desperate to get the biggest but the better half rained me in and we had a 1.9m, she was very vocal with comments on how ugly they look, to me they don't look too bad at all, is this a man thing or just me I wonder
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
When we first got our house we were told you needed a 1.9m or 2.4m dish in our area for UK tv, I was desperate to get the biggest but the better half rained me in and we had a 1.9m, she was very vocal with comments on how ugly they look, to me they don't look too bad at all, is this a man thing or just me I wonder
What they tell you and what you need are often different things. Obviously a massive 2.4m dish would cost a small fortune, and AFAIK the margins on them are 50% or more, which explains why people will claim you need one.

Fortunately most people around here are successfully using 1.2m dishes to receive everything, which typically sell for well below €100, and used under €50. We have a 1.5m which we bought new for €200 (including the support / stand). I've seen much larger used dishes selling for as little as €80.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: advice please re UK tv in Spain

Originally Posted by amideislas
What they tell you and what you need are often different things. Obviously a massive 2.4m dish would cost a small fortune, and AFAIK the margins on them are 50% or more, which explains why people will claim you need one.

Fortunately most people around here are successfully using 1.2m dishes to receive everything, which typically sell for well below €100, and used under €50. We have a 1.5m which we bought new for €200 (including the support / stand). I've seen much larger used dishes selling for as little as €80.
Where do I look for these large S/H dishes. Obviously no one round here has one we get all current channels on our 1.4m slightly oval dish but we have lost the fives so we may need a very big one!
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

They were not pulling our legs, Big dishes were the order of the day where we are, it's was a kind of black spot, even with a 1.9m all aligned correctly we used to lose ITV after 9.30pm, used to come back around 1am, if the new satellite has the footprint of 2F we stand to be winners in this merry go round as the Astra 2f UK beam can be received on a 1.1m around here now, we will see
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:35 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

If a 4mtr dish in the Algarve coast cannot currently receive C5 then there is little hope for neighbouring areas of Spain either if ?? the beam from the new sat is the same as 2f.
As none of us know that yet just wait.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: advice please re UK tv in Spain

Originally Posted by EMR
If a 4mtr dish in the Algarve coast cannot currently receive C5 then there is little hope for neighbouring areas of Spain either if ?? the beam from the new sat is the same as 2f.
As none of us know that yet just wait.
There are many aspects to reception in addition to dish size. Like you I read that there was one (only the one) community on the Algarve who had a shared 4m dish and that would not pull in the new 2F. There are so many cowboys out there I wonder if the dish and all the other links in the chain were as fine tuned as they could be.

When we fitted our system some years ago it took time but getting all elements correct took several attempts but we got there and it has been excellent since although we have had some weather losses this very morning.

I just wonder if everything is lined up as it should be I have read no updates since the initial reports. They may have done some work and got 5s back for now. It would be interesting to read or hear updates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.