Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Hi Everyone, just joined up. I am a scouser working as a Expat Real Estate Agent.

Hi Everyone, just joined up. I am a scouser working as a Expat Real Estate Agent.

Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Everyone, just joined up. I am a scouser working as a Expat Real Estate Agent.

Originally Posted by ex reg
I'd say where you live will be governed above all else by where your daughters go to school.
Strat with that.
All areas here have good and not so good accommodation of which ever type you want.
By good and not so good I mean new and less new.
My wife was told about a new school across the 2nd causeway? Mulberry?

Apparently the students are taken over by bus? and its a well known british school. Starting or opening in August?

I have no idea of whether this sounds like a massive commute for them each day or whether it allows a wider accomodation area selection?

But agree schooling will dictate accomodation area
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi Everyone, just joined up. I am a scouser working as a Expat Real Estate Agent.

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
My wife was told about a new school across the 2nd causeway? Mulberry?

Apparently the students are taken over by bus? and its a well known british school. Starting or opening in August?

I have no idea of whether this sounds like a massive commute for them each day or whether it allows a wider accomodation area selection?

But agree schooling will dictate accomodation area
We live in the west, well Clementi although we've lived in quite a few different areas.
It always surprised me that the times given for a commute from just over the 2nd link to school and office in Singapore are so short and I've sometimes queried the time.
But so many people seem to be able to do it in 40 minutes or so that I now accept that as a base time.
It would probably be about the same in the reverse direction but I can't confirm that.

Many school kids in Singapore would have a longer commute than 40 minutes and school starts at 7-30am generally.
There's a thread in the Malaysia forum about 'Living in Nusajaya which gives some info.

We live less than 5 mins off the AYE one of the two main roads from west to east.
It takes me 15 minutes plus to get to the Tuas checkpoint, the second link, and 20 minutes plus to get to Katong where we used to own a Condo.
Both those times I consider in good driving traffic with no jams and within the speed limit.
Then there's the minimum and 5 min plus 5 min for two customs clearance.
The 5 min plus for travel between customs and the 7 to 10 mins from Malaysian Customs to school or home.
40 mins total seems amazing to me but everybody seems to do it so ...

Last edited by ex reg; Apr 16th 2012 at 8:44 am.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Just on autism schooling.
Singapore has come on leaps and bounds in this recently or so I hear, but from a very low starting point.
Friend of my wife's who has a 25 year old autistic son wishes the facilities available now had been available 20 years ago.
Both she and her husband work full time and this hasn't prevented the boy, man now, attending his schools although he hasn't managed to find himself a job yet.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi RedDragon

Marlborough College is due to open in August this year in Nusajaya - just over the second link from Tuas.

I started this thread a while back when we were first considering a move over there.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738029

If you are willing to do the commute to work in Singapore then you might want to think about renting or buying in Nusajaya. We're currently in the process of trying to buy a house in East Ledang and our kids are registered for Marlborough.

I must admit I'm surprised by the amount of people who seem keen to send their kids from Singapore to Nusajaya and back every day - but as ex reg said - kids doing long commutes to and from school just seems like the norm here.

I'm in a lucky position of being a stay at home mum (well I think it's a lucky position - it doesn't always feel like it!!) so I drive my kids to school and we don't stay too far from their existing school/kindergarten anyway. For me personally putting my kids on a bus for (realistically) an hour both ways, on top of a long school day is just too much. Might not be too bad for older kids but mine are only 7 and 4.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bocat
Hi RedDragon

Marlborough College is due to open in August this year in Nusajaya - just over the second link from Tuas.

I started this thread a while back when we were first considering a move over there.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738029

If you are willing to do the commute to work in Singapore then you might want to think about renting or buying in Nusajaya. We're currently in the process of trying to buy a house in East Ledang and our kids are registered for Marlborough.

I must admit I'm surprised by the amount of people who seem keen to send their kids from Singapore to Nusajaya and back every day - but as ex reg said - kids doing long commutes to and from school just seems like the norm here.

I'm in a lucky position of being a stay at home mum (well I think it's a lucky position - it doesn't always feel like it!!) so I drive my kids to school and we don't stay too far from their existing school/kindergarten anyway. For me personally putting my kids on a bus for (realistically) an hour both ways, on top of a long school day is just too much. Might not be too bad for older kids but mine are only 7 and 4.
Wow loads of info to digest

Preference is for me to do majority of travel as I have no fixed start time. And getting my girls up (including daughters) before 8am is going to be difficult.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Helen K is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Heidi, finally another scouser, great to hear I'm not the only one having difficulty being understood! Would be great to meet up for a coffee sometime (although since I don't drink the stuff it would have to be hot chocolate for me). Give me a shout if you are up for it.