Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Requesting some advice about housing

Requesting some advice about housing

Old May 23rd 2012, 3:06 am
Just Joined

gradstudent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Requesting some advice about housing

Dear all,

Second thread here. I am a little confused about housing in Singapore and hoping I can get some advice from all you wonderful folks here. Basically I am unmarried but expect my parents and girlfriend to visit me from time to time. I was wondering whats the most cost effective type of housing which will also ensure enough privacy for me and my family members. Thank you!
Old May 23rd 2012, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requesting some advice about housing

Budget?
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

I wish I knew whats reasonable rent for this what I am looking for, maybe not exceeding s$1500 pm? For now I only know that I will be working in Jurong so something not too far away from there would be ideal. Thank you for your reply.
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Won't your company be helping you either with rent or by suggesting possiblities.
Most cost effective would be for your parents and girlfriend to stay in hotels when they are there because if you have accommodation large enough to house everyone then most of the time a large part of it will be empty.

There are 2 or 3 small hotels just at the junction of Clementi Rd and ????maybe Pasir Panjang rd, can't remember their names maybe Fragrance Waterfront Horel???? and maybe Pasir Panjang Inn but they look OK for a short stay although it would require a taxi or bus to get to the MRT. That's of course if they didn't want to stay in the central area where it might be a lot more expensive.
From Jurong East to Orchard Rd would take 30 minutes or so by MRT.

There are possibilities of condos out in Jurong East but perhaps for 1500 per month an HDB or a share of an HDB might be the best.

Have a look at some property sites, google etc and come back with your thoughts.

You'll have to somehow narrow your search and questions a bit in order to get a better answer..

Finally, just googled the Fragrance Hotel and Trip advisor reviews aren't that good.
And at S$153 per night it is really expensive for that type of hotel and the area.
But there you go.

Last edited by ex reg; May 23rd 2012 at 9:14 pm.
Old May 24th 2012, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

The YMCA do rooms to rent which may be good for visitors as it's very central. I've no idea how much they charge though.

Property Guru and iProperty are good websites to check for rental prices and areas.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Exreg and Bocat for your practical advice. Company is providing me accommodation for 2 weeks until which I need to find my own place. I am a little skeptical if thats a long enough time to find a new place. How do you guys think of me asking them for a longer temporary accommodation arrangement?
Old May 24th 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

My missus used to take a good 2 weeks looking and she was doing that full time.
If you have to work during the day it really doesn't leave much time.

But you can do a lot of checking online these days in order to finalise an area you like.
I'd think that agents might also be willing to show you some places online so you have a better idea of what is available and where.
Old May 25th 2012, 1:36 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

A friend got landed a job in Singapore and she got 2 weeks accom also. Her OH did most of the checking out of own correspondence. Great if you have a partner
Old May 25th 2012, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Ah, I see! Thank you everyone for your response and helpful advice. I will keep all of you updated!