Suggestions required

Old Jun 4th 2012, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

jordan-taylor29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suggestions required

Hi there, Can any one recommend Good bars/pubs to go to where ex pats hang out and could be looking for hiring people for work? I set off to Singapore on the 6th of June for 12 nights.

Any suggestions would be grateful.

cheers.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 9:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Suggestions required

Originally Posted by jordan-taylor29
Hi there, Can any one recommend Good bars/pubs to go to where ex pats hang out and could be looking for hiring people for work? I set off to Singapore on the 6th of June for 12 nights.

Any suggestions would be grateful.

cheers.
What kind of work are you looking for?

Forget about it if all you want to do is to work pulling pints. You wouldn't be able to get a work permit; the few Western expats working in bars own them or are either married to locals or their spouses are on expat postings. The cost of living is extremely high in Singapore, far higher than in the UK. You may find quite a lot of Filipinas working in the bars and service industry; they are happy to work for less $ than Westerners.

As for the expat hangouts, well they are everywhere (so are tourists!). There are loads of bars where expats and locals go to in Holland Village, East Coast/Kallang, Pasir Panjang village, Orchard Rd (Emerald Hill) and the bars in Chijmes, Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, Club St. etc. and dozens more. I used to enjoy going to the 'Prince of Wales' pub in Dunlop St, Little India (Aussie-run pub and hostel) which has a resident friendly sheepdog, Jess:

http://pow.com.sg/

http://www.turnstyles.com.sg/contact_us.htm (an expat from Coventry runs this bar)
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Suggestions required

Basically my girlfriend lives there she is Singaporean, I certainly do not want to work in a bar, A friend of mine visited a couple of years ago and they visited a coffee shop where westerners hung out most evenings, he was basically offered a job on the spot!! I know that sounds unlikely but that's what he said.

I would love to continue working in mechanical engineering fitting as I have done for 12 years, with that said I have found it extremely difficult applying online for work with very little feedback. So that's why I would like some advice. My girlfriend knows a couple of place which you have mentioned.

Are you living and working there?
Originally Posted by Englishmum
What kind of work are you looking for?

Forget about it if all you want to do is to work pulling pints. You wouldn't be able to get a work permit; the few Western expats working in bars own them or are either married to locals or their spouses are on expat postings. The cost of living is extremely high in Singapore, far higher than in the UK. You may find quite a lot of Filipinas working in the bars and service industry; they are happy to work for less $ than Westerners.

As for the expat hangouts, well they are everywhere (so are tourists!). There are loads of bars where expats and locals go to in Holland Village, East Coast/Kallang, Pasir Panjang village, Orchard Rd (Emerald Hill) and the bars in Chijmes, Clarke Quay, Boat Quay, Club St. etc. and dozens more. I used to enjoy going to the 'Prince of Wales' pub in Dunlop St, Little India (Aussie-run pub and hostel) which has a resident friendly sheepdog, Jess:

http://pow.com.sg/

http://www.turnstyles.com.sg/contact_us.htm (an expat from Coventry runs this bar)
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

So you are hoping to bump into someone in a pub who will offer you a job.

Never heard of that but it might happen.
Boat Quay pubs if you are in the financial sector.

Others, The Wagon Wheel used to be my favourite but there are sports pubs elsewhere where for watching football, it is the Euro Cup or summat, British ex pats congregate, in which you could ask around.

Are you a degree holder?

What sort of ME are you involved in?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Well I don't expect to be offered a job just like that, I was going off what a friend told me and he is not the type to tell tales.

I am not a degree holder and I am aware that Singaporean employers are quite strict with people having degree's there.Basically I have an abundance of experience in fixed plant machinery mainly in the food industry,Assembly installation , removal and maintain, on the industrial scale.

I just figured being around bars where ex pats gather could potentially point me the right direction. I take it you live and work there?

Originally Posted by ex reg
So you are hoping to bump into someone in a pub who will offer you a job.

Never heard of that but it might happen.
Boat Quay pubs if you are in the financial sector.

Others, The Wagon Wheel used to be my favourite but there are sports pubs elsewhere where for watching football, it is the Euro Cup or summat, British ex pats congregate, in which you could ask around.

Are you a degree holder?

What sort of ME are you involved in?