Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Statistically, it was only a matter of time

Statistically, it was only a matter of time

Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:53 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Statistically, it was only a matter of time

before a whitetail deer committed suicide by throwing itself in front of my car...

Finally happened Saturday night, we were right on the edge of town (literally, a 1/4 mile before the houses start) just at dark and I had let my guard down... My wife pointed at one on the left and I failed to see the five on the right, one of which jumped into the road just as I was turning my head to check that side. I was doing around 45mph. The damage: Big dent on the top of the hood near the front on the pass side, broken headlight, pass side front fender dented up enough that the front door won't open all the way, dent and trim torn off of the pass side front door. We have full coverage, but it's a '03 Hyundai Accent with 170,000mi. The insurance guy is supposed to call us back today, I'm wondering if it's totalled, we still owe about 2 grand on it.

PITA.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:54 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Statistically, it was only a matter of time

Wowzers.

Pleased you're both okay. It nearly happened to me the other night. SCARY.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:58 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

That is what I hate about this time of year, there's less of them then there used to be because of the developments that have sprung up between me and town, but still......

Thank God, you guys are okay, you KNOW it could have been worse.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness you are both OK...that's what really matters. Hitting a deer is something we dread...there are far too many serious RTAs involving deer in these parts.

Sucks if it's gonna hit you in the wallet though.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:04 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
That is what I hate about this time of year, there's less of them then there used to be because of the developments that have sprung up between me and town, but still......

Thank God, you guys are okay, you KNOW it could have been worse.
It certainly could have, and I'm thankful it wasn't. I'd always hoped that when it happend I was in the truck instead of the Hyundai. The kids were in the backseat, and kind of freaked when they heard my wife yell my name followed by a THUMP and some not so nice words from me...
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It certainly could have, and I'm thankful it wasn't. I'd always hoped that when it happend I was in the truck instead of the Hyundai. The kids were in the backseat, and kind of freaked when they heard my wife yell my name followed by a THUMP and some not so nice words from me...

Oh deer..........(somebody had to say it)

Glad you are all ok.

This is one of our biggest fears when we are out riding the bike........
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:38 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Oh deer..........(somebody had to say it)

Glad you are all ok.

This is one of our biggest fears when we are out riding the bike........
Be careful, there have been a couple motorcycle/deer collisions in our area in the past several years. It's bad enough with a car or truck...
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:44 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're all OK. I dread that happening. My friend just clipped one last year and it did $7000 worth of damage. The deer ran away.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

u.k. lady is a jewel in the roughu.k. lady is a jewel in the roughu.k. lady is a jewel in the roughu.k. lady is a jewel in the rough

My son totalled his car last year when he hit a deer , it died by the road though we couldnt see any blood. They didnt move the deer for the next three days and he had to drive by it each day to work and it looked like Bambi ( guilt complex)
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

before a whitetail deer committed suicide by throwing itself in front of my car...
Bad luck, sorry to hear about it. I've been close, but never hit one yet. My wife's sister lives in rural Michigan. She's been lucky, but almost all of her friends have hit deer, some of them multiple times.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:02 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

*hug* big man. So glad you are all okay.

Finally happened Saturday night, we were right on the edge of town (literally, a 1/4 mile before the houses start) just at dark and I had let my guard down... My wife pointed at one on the left and I failed to see the five on the right, one of which jumped into the road just as I was turning my head to check that side. I was doing around 45mph. The damage: Big dent on the top of the hood near the front on the pass side, broken headlight, pass side front fender dented up enough that the front door won't open all the way, dent and trim torn off of the pass side front door. We have full coverage, but it's a '03 Hyundai Accent with 170,000mi. The insurance guy is supposed to call us back today, I'm wondering if it's totalled, we still owe about 2 grand on it.

PITA.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

PITA.
Have its head mounted on the front of the car.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:11 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Australia, I was doing about 40 mph down some dirt back road at 5.30 am, when a kangeroo jumped out in front of me, scared the living
sh!te muslim out of me!

the old clunker I was driving had the old "roo" bar fitted on the front, so not to much damage...evidently kangeroo's right off more cars than anything in Oz!

By the way, the roo just hopped off into the bush like nothing happened.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:22 pm
Plaster Duck Lover

Hilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond repute

We hit a deer last year - I freaked out, my 4 year old thought I had lost my mind. The state patrol came and put the poor thing out of it's misery.

Just be nice to the little total loss bloke - it is what I did until I moved departments - it's pretty crummy.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:40 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

PITA.
They are never by themselves, when I spot one I always slow down and watch out for the rest of them.. I've been close to hitting one on several occasions (once I had a couple of elk crossing the road right in front of me too!!), the last time was recently but I was driving my husband's truck, I felt really safe, if I had hit the deer that time I know I would have been ok.. One of the reasons why I'm considering a SUV, pick ups are too big and it's too hard to find a parking spot..

I'm glad you are all ok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.