Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Would you route for me?

Would you route for me?

Old Aug 15th 2016, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you route for me?

Not really sure it matter what country they represent. The olympics is about personal achievement.

I find the females without a complete set of female organs, internal testes and testosterone levels matching some of the men much more unfathomable.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 11:41 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I am not watching but every athlete has to be linked to a country and there are medal tables for country. I thought much of it was nationalistic pride?

Are there transgender athletes? Or are you referring to "East German" types?
Old Aug 15th 2016, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Lightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond repute

Knots, iggle, knots.

you are are tying yourself up mate.

(Probably cheaper after all you spunked last week)

Slow down mate

Last edited by Lightandbitter; Aug 15th 2016 at 11:45 am.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 12:13 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
what about Chris Froome? Born and raised in Kenya
Culturally and ancestrally British. I don't understand how this is hard to understand for you guys.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I am not watching but every athlete has to be linked to a country and there are medal tables for country. I thought much of it was nationalistic pride?

One is effectively Transgender. She/He was forced to take testosterone reducing drugs to compete as a woman. During that time she/he was an also ran. The rules setting a maximum testosterone level were then jilted and she/he came back to her/his old winning ways.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 12:40 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
One is effectively Transgender. She/He was forced to take testosterone reducing drugs to compete as a woman. During that time she/he was an also ran. The rules setting a maximum testosterone level were then jilted and she/he came back to her/his old winning ways.
Why is s/he competing this month, I thought thats what the Paralympics was for?
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
This needs to be framed.
  1. British by citizenship.
  2. British by ethnicity.
  3. British by culture.

Mo Farah is certainly the first and certainly not the second.

The third is probably where this debate lies.

N.
British by citizenship. - Bought, not born
British by ethnicity. - No, he's not
British by culture. - No, he's not.

He's as British as the EU.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Quite sure the athletes are doing it for themselves first and any national pride second.

There are a couple of hermaphroditis this year in amongst the female runners. Even the most lefty of the lefts must recognize that this isn't quite fair.

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 15th 2016 at 1:14 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
There are a couple of hermaphroditis this year in amongst the female runners. Even the most lefty of the lefts must recognize that this isn't quite fair.
Aren't they not allowed to enter the race (men's or women's) that they most associate themselves with?
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Aren't they not allowed to enter the race (men's or women's) that they most associate themselves with?
But why would they compete with the men?

One of the female runners also happens to be a lesbian
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:26 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

This is complicated and I have no idea what the answer is. Life is rough enough if a person is born hermaphrodite though.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:32 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
He's a British citizen by descent. He is not ethnically British by descent obviously.

This fact does seem to make some people very uncomfortable - acknowledging there are ethnic Britons (English, Irish, Scots, Welsh etc) who are descendents of people who have been in the Isles since the end of the last Ice Age.

It's not racist to simply acknowledge this fact of biology. No more than it's racist to say ethnic Emiratis are Arabs.

However the British government does not grant citizenship on the basis of ethnicity, which is a separate thing to being ethnically or culturally British.

It's all very confusing but let's not rush to accuse people of racism or 'islamophobia' (Islam isn't a race it's a religion, not limited to any race) because some people are clearly not rooting for non-ethnic/non-cultural Britons.

Some people simply don't accept any and all as fellow Britons just because they hold citizenship. As long as there are no calls for violence, hatred or maltreatment they can, in what is barely still a free society express that view even if we don't like it.

N.
As you and I both know what makes the difference is how such enquiries are framed. It is possible to express thoughts in a rational way and others all but froth at the mouth. You are in the former category but I am sure we have all seen examples of the latter. I really don't know why such types get so het up though.

Last edited by Meow; Aug 15th 2016 at 1:53 pm. Reason: crap typing
Old Aug 15th 2016, 1:34 pm
Banned

As you and I both know what makes the difference is how such enquiries are framed. It is possible to express thoughts in a rational way and others all but froth at the mouth. You are in the former category but I am sure we have all seen examples of the latter. I rally don't know why such types get so het up though.
I dunno either, it's only a pigment colour. I am just trolling.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 3:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There are a group of stateless athletes as well as those competing as refugees.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond reputeLightandbitter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iggle
I dunno either, it's only a pigment colour. I am just trolling.
Is that a climb down Iggle?

If you had a pair of balls they would be in your mouth about now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.