Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

washing machine repairs

washing machine repairs

Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: washing machine repairs

A gentleman should leave this sort of thing to his servants to deal with.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Quite right Bertie.

Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

It's not all gloom and doom . . .

A few years ago I bought an LG Direct Drive Front Loader. It came with a 10 year guarantee on the 'Big Drum' (which includes the motor). It has given 'Stirling Service' and only stopped once (Dirham Coin caught in the Pump Impeller). Washing Machine Repair Man came round in a flash, and all fixed within 15 Minutes.

Last year I shipped a load of things to Philippines. I had a problem with the Washing Machine, as Philippines uses 60 Hz Supplies rather than 50 Hz. One call to LG and the man came with a new Pump Motor. Machine is now working fine and there was no charge!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackthehat
It's not all gloom and doom . . .

A few years ago I bought an LG Direct Drive Front Loader. It came with a 10 year guarantee on the 'Big Drum' (which includes the motor). It has given 'Stirling Service' and only stopped once (Dirham Coin caught in the Pump Impeller). Washing Machine Repair Man came round in a flash, and all fixed within 15 Minutes.

Last year I shipped a load of things to Philippines. I had a problem with the Washing Machine, as Philippines uses 60 Hz Supplies rather than 50 Hz. One call to LG and the man came with a new Pump Motor. Machine is now working fine and there was no charge!
Yes, had a washing machine fixed out of warranty last year in Abu Dhabi, no problems. Googled "samsung washing machine repairs", called the number, machine was collected and returned in 2 days. Biggest problem was, as ever, trying to explain to the van driver how to find our house - rest was easy.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

As we're talking all things white goods. I bought a 50hz microwave for my maid to take back to the Philippines. Will it be OK on 60hz with a new 2 pin pug or can I grab some sort of an adapter from Ace.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by al dente
As we're talking all things white goods. I bought a 50hz microwave for my maid to take back to the Philippines. Will it be OK on 60hz with a new 2 pin pug or can I grab some sort of an adapter from Ace.
The Microwave will work, but will not last long. The 60 Hz Supply will (Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo) the main transformer within a short period, and will also affect the Magnetron Element! – Been there done that one too! Stick to Korean Goods (Hyundai, Samsung, LG, Daewoo, etc.) with a 50/60 Hz sticker on the back. It is also far cheaper to buy them in Dubai rather than Philippines; where they add-on Luxury Taxes, Import Duty, and then VAT! – Bad habits they have picked-up!

Your Housemaid can buy a cheap Chinese Microwave from SM (National Chain of Supermarkets), but it will probably explode when she gets it home! – Guess what? – No Guarantee! Rather like British Leyland in the 1970s the only guarantee SM, Ace and other retailers will give, is that it will be 'Guaranteed to go wrong within 12 months!'

They do not use 'Pins in Sockets!' Just bare wires held in by matches! - This is what our 'Colonial Cousins' now call a 'Receptacle' – I always used to call it a Switched Socket Outlet. The Electrical Supply in The Philippines was based on the old 110V American System, which then suddenly became 230V – Or something between 160V and 250V depending on where you live, and the quality of the supply! – Not to mention how many families might be stealing it! (I am not joking!) Even though the Voltage and Current have been increased the size, and configuration of the Socket Pins has not changed! – They get hot!

When I refurbished the house and the office in Manila, I got 'Told-Off' by Meralco (The equivalent of DEWA), for wasting cable! – Inadvertently, I had installed an Earth Cable to each Socket Outlet, and had provided two Earth Pits! I also imported all of the Electrical Items (Sockets, Switches, etc.) from Dubai and UK. You cannot buy BS 1363 goods of any description in The Philippines. When confronted with a Square-Pin 13A Plug, they cut it off, and poke the wires into the 'Receptacle!' Most of what is available there is Cheap Chinese SH1T! – Or 'Over-Engineered' American SH1T that looks as though it came off the prototype for the Electric Chair!

Prince Philip's quote "It looks like it was wired by an Indian" really takes on a whole new meaning in Asia! In Thailand, Instantaneous Shower Heaters come with their own Socket Outlet – In the Shower Cubicle!

If you are going to buy a Microwave for her, be conscious of the Energy Rating. Electricity Prices in The Philippines are 2x UK Rates! - They are the highest in Asia!

Lastly, she will be the 'Cock of the Walk!' Not many Philippinos can afford to buy a Microwave! – Even if it does not work, it will be on display for visitors to see!

Last edited by jackthehat; Mar 11th 2013 at 11:22 am.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Al Ghandi were always very good with any whirlpool stuff
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
The Microwave will work, but will not last long. The 60 Hz Supply will (Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo) the main transformer within a short period, and will also affect the Magnetron Element! – Been there done that one too! Stick to Korean Goods (Hyundai, Samsung, LG, Daewoo, etc.) with a 50/60 Hz sticker on the back. It is also far cheaper to buy them in Dubai rather than Philippines; where they add-on Luxury Taxes, Import Duty, and then VAT! – Bad habits they have picked-up!

Your Housemaid can buy a cheap Chinese Microwave from SM (National Chain of Supermarkets), but it will probably explode when she gets it home! – Guess what? – No Guarantee! Rather like British Leyland in the 1970s the only guarantee SM, Ace and other retailers will give, is that it will be 'Guaranteed to go wrong within 12 months!'

They do not use 'Pins in Sockets!' Just bare wires held in by matches! - This is what our 'Colonial Cousins' now call a 'Receptacle' – I always used to call it a Switched Socket Outlet. The Electrical Supply in The Philippines was based on the old 110V American System, which then suddenly became 230V – Or something between 160V and 250V depending on where you live, and the quality of the supply! – Not to mention how many families might be stealing it! (I am not joking!) Even though the Voltage and Current have been increased the size, and configuration of the Socket Pins has not changed! – They get hot!

When I refurbished the house and the office in Manila, I got 'Told-Off' by Meralco (The equivalent of DEWA), for wasting cable! – Inadvertently, I had installed an Earth Cable to each Socket Outlet, and had provided two Earth Pits! I also imported all of the Electrical Items (Sockets, Switches, etc.) from Dubai and UK. You cannot buy BS 1363 goods of any description in The Philippines. When confronted with a Square-Pin 13A Plug, they cut it off, and poke the wires into the 'Receptacle!' Most of what is available there is Cheap Chinese SH1T! – Or 'Over-Engineered' American SH1T that looks as though it came off the prototype for the Electric Chair!

Prince Philip's quote "It looks like it was wired by an Indian" really takes on a whole new meaning in Asia! In Thailand, Instantaneous Shower Heaters come with their own Socket Outlet – In the Shower Cubicle!

If you are going to buy a Microwave for her, be conscious of the Energy Rating. Electricity Prices in The Philippines are 2x UK Rates! - They are the highest in Asia!

Lastly, she will be the 'Cock of the Walk!' Not many Philippinos can afford to buy a Microwave! – Even if it does not work, it will be on display for visitors to see!
Thank you!

She's retiring (AD govnmt won't renew despite both parties being desperately keen for her to stay). We're going to miss her loads and so are trying to set her up as much as we can.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 11:44 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I started typing a serious response to this, but I just can't bring myself to contribute. It's too EW.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
I started typing a serious response to this, but I just can't bring myself to contribute. It's too EW.
Ah, **** off

There's a heart in some of us, some of the time.

(anyway, isn't EW more of: "can i lock my maid in her room all day and pay her nothing as if she has any fun, I'm legally responsible", despite no-one actually know what legally responsible means).

Last edited by al dente; Mar 11th 2013 at 12:08 pm. Reason: Forgot me bracket
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:12 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, **** off

There's a heart in some of us, some of the time.

(anyway, isn't EW more of: "can i lock my maid in her room all day and pay her nothing as if she has any fun, I'm legally responsible", despite no-one actually know what legally responsible means).
AD, rise above!

I reckon Millhouse, who started this thread, loves EW and reads it every day...
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

BTW I said F e ck not the proper **** to denote gentle joshing. Obviously the censor police are vigilant in these parts.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:16 pm
Bored liberal

BTW I said F e ck not the proper **** to denote gentle joshing. Obviously the censor police are vigilant in these parts.
Neither would offend from you.

*hide like a rhino*
Old Mar 11th 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh god, I'm going smilie mad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.