Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Terror attacks in the UAE

Terror attacks in the UAE

Old Jul 4th 2015, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

I went to the Grand Mosque today and I had to go through scanners and my bags were also searched. Maybe a step up in security due to regional stuff going on.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BOGO
I agree, its hard to be around people who dwell on worst case scenarios, however..

As I am moving to Dubai in October this has been a concern of mine, my concerns were quickly alleviated after a quick google search of notable terrorist attacks in Dubai, and after doing some simple math I figured my odds of being involved in a terrorist attack in Dubai is around 18,900,903 to 1. I think it's more likely to be attacked by a great white shark and that's if I never swim in the ocean, but if i'm diving for abalone in a black wet suit, surrounded by black seals near the Farallon islands my chances of being attacked greatly increase. I'm quite sure there are back streets you don't want to go down and people you don't want to be around in Dubai.
Only the Lebos. They're the slimy greasy ones so easy to spot.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BOGO
I'm quite sure there are back streets you don't want to go down in Dubai.
Nope, not found any yet and I wander around lots of places in the winter. People mainly look at you curiously because they are certain you are lost.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, it must be cool. David Beckham likes it
Old Aug 11th 2015, 8:02 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Nope, not found any yet and I wander around lots of places in the winter. People mainly look at you curiously because they are certain you are lost.
this, rather than threatened people would just look at you and wonder why the **** you are there rather than in the marina or the mall
Old Aug 11th 2015, 8:48 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

yep, 99.9% of the times if you approach anyone in Deira or Bur, they will always respond with a smile and will always go out of their way to help you out
unless they are cab drivers, (almost) all cab drivers are wankers!
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
yep, 99.9% of the times if you approach anyone in Deira or Bur, they will always respond with a smile and will always go out of their way to help you out
unless they are cab drivers, (almost) all cab drivers are wankers!
My hire car battery died in Karama once. Within about 15 minutes and on the second shop I entered I had 4 guys with a car, jump leads and a restarted engine.

In the UK I'd have been stabbed and raped.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

You must be from a really grotty part of the UK

Originally Posted by Scamp
My hire car battery died in Karama once. Within about 15 minutes and on the second shop I entered I had 4 guys with a car, jump leads and a restarted engine.

In the UK I'd have been stabbed and raped.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any place in Dubai as dangerous as Barasti on Friday nights?
Old Aug 11th 2015, 10:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
You must be from a really grotty part of the UK
It was a joke.

Salisbury is wonderful.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 12:48 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Is there any place in Dubai as dangerous as Barasti on Friday nights?
Not if you're allergic to grease and tossers.