Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Terror attacks in the UAE

Terror attacks in the UAE

Old Jun 28th 2015, 11:41 am
  #16  
hmmmm...nice
 
MataHari's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 27,923
MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by TGFKASE View Post
I've corrected that for you....
mabrook habibi...
MataHari is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2015, 11:43 am
  #17  
Go on.. Pull my finger..
 
TGFKASE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,722
TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
mabrook habibi...
Afwan, habibti...
TGFKASE is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2015, 12:30 pm
  #18  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,263
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Possibility....probability....likelihood....

Risks are different everywhere, bad / fatal car crashes here (I'm assuming) are more common than in say, London. But perhaps knife crime (I'm guessing) is lower than in London.

I don't like to live in fear, in fact, I don't actually, it would be miserable. I know where my essentials are if I wanted to leave in a heartbeat, but it would take something pretty unprecedented for that I think.
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2015, 1:48 pm
  #19  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,519
DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

The difference is that fatal accidents can not only happen anywhere but they're also not personal. Knife crime is also not particularly personal, the thief generally wants your money regardless of who you are.

When a terrorist attacks innocent western sunbathers, it's personal.

If a terror attack happened in the UAE it would make many western expats suddenly feel distinctively out of place, that there's people who hate every fibre of your being just because you're western and not Muslim, and they're not hundreds or thousands of kilometers away but right here in the same city as you. Without the protection of being in the majority as is the case for Brits despite the occasional wacko attack in the UK, you'd feel very invulnerable. It's a psychological blow and does affect your perception of being safe as a distinct minority in a region that is largely hostile to many of your core values.

As it is, I'm not claiming the sky is falling and agree the UAE is pretty safe even from terrorism, but just one incident could radically change the equation.

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Possibility....probability....likelihood....

Risks are different everywhere, bad / fatal car crashes here (I'm assuming) are more common than in say, London. But perhaps knife crime (I'm guessing) is lower than in London.

I don't like to live in fear, in fact, I don't actually, it would be miserable. I know where my essentials are if I wanted to leave in a heartbeat, but it would take something pretty unprecedented for that I think.
DXBtoDOH is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2015, 2:08 pm
  #20  
hmmmm...nice
 
MataHari's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 27,923
MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH View Post
The difference is that fatal accidents can not only happen anywhere but they're also not personal. Knife crime is also not particularly personal, the thief generally wants your money regardless of who you are.

When a terrorist attacks innocent western sunbathers, it's personal.

If a terror attack happened in the UAE it would make many western expats suddenly feel distinctively out of place, that there's people who hate every fibre of your being just because you're western and not Muslim, and they're not hundreds or thousands of kilometers away but right here in the same city as you. Without the protection of being in the majority as is the case for Brits despite the occasional wacko attack in the UK, you'd feel very invulnerable. It's a psychological blow and does affect your perception of being safe as a distinct minority in a region that is largely hostile to many of your core values.

As it is, I'm not claiming the sky is falling and agree the UAE is pretty safe even from terrorism, but just one incident could radically change the equation.
I would probably feel more 'violated' by an attack 'back home' (supposedly safe country blabla) than I would feel if something happens here surrounded by people 'hating every fiber of my being, here in the same city with me'...
MataHari is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2015, 3:46 pm
  #21  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Tahitian Village
Posts: 327
Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

The London comparison is not a bad one though. I reckon Dubai today is safer than living in London in the early-mid '90s with the IRA blowing stuff up, and I didn't feel particularly unsafe even then, although maybe that was the invincibility of youth.
Standanista is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2015, 3:49 pm
  #22  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Tahitian Village
Posts: 327
Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
I would probably feel more 'violated' by an attack 'back home' (supposedly safe country blabla) than I would feel if something happens here surrounded by people 'hating every fiber of my being, here in the same city with me'...
Yep. End of the day, we're only a quick plane ride out of here, Kuwait style, were it to go pear shaped at some point (not that I think it will).
Standanista is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2015, 7:11 pm
  #23  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,872
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by Standanista View Post
The London comparison is not a bad one though. I reckon Dubai today is safer than living in London in the early-mid '90s with the IRA blowing stuff up, and I didn't feel particularly unsafe even then, although maybe that was the invincibility of youth.
on what basis do you make such a claim?

The fact is... not a single poster on here knows.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 1:10 am
  #24  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Tahitian Village
Posts: 327
Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
on what basis do you make such a claim?

The fact is... not a single poster on here knows.
I think you need to get your facts right. Basis: incident history, here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...0.E2.80.931999

The December 1992 bomb in John Lewis toilets I was stood two blocks away from. It sounded like an empty skip being dropped. You obviously get a better echo with Armitage Shanks.

Second basis: from spending months on nights searching for the things as part of my job (London Underground) during that period.

The stuff going on behind the scenes to prevent these sort of things is something we rarely hear about, and rightly so, but on the plain facts of actual incidents, Dubai today is many times safer from terrorist attack than 1990s London.

Last edited by Standanista; Jun 29th 2015 at 2:23 am. Reason: Clarification
Standanista is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 4:55 am
  #25  
Token Scandinavian Bloke
 
norsk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,820
norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by Standanista View Post
I think you need to get your facts right. Basis: incident history, here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...0.E2.80.931999

The December 1992 bomb in John Lewis toilets I was stood two blocks away from. It sounded like an empty skip being dropped. You obviously get a better echo with Armitage Shanks.

Second basis: from spending months on nights searching for the things as part of my job (London Underground) during that period.

The stuff going on behind the scenes to prevent these sort of things is something we rarely hear about, and rightly so, but on the plain facts of actual incidents, Dubai today is many times safer from terrorist attack than 1990s London.
History is indeed the most popular indicator of the future, but it is also an imperfect one. It is only really useful on a high level (ie big movements and long term) and doesn't take into account factors such as current political significance of an attack, current geopolitics, modus operandi of choice for the flavour of the day terrorists and so on.

(Side note: If you are interested in learning more about using history to predict the future read up on cliodynamics. The concept looks interesting and a bit crazy to be honest.)

Not to imply that this is a pissing contest, but I was in Central London on 7/7/2007 and it was absolutely a pants-shitting moment. However everyone knew that London was a target of huge significance to Islamist terrorists (flavour of that day and today) and therefore it wasn't such a shock to the system and life went back to normal pretty quickly all things considered.

Of course things are going on behind the scenes. People are being watched and some arrested and convicted and like you say the people don't need to know the details, but if you publicly deny the possibility/risk of an attack and ignore the fact that you stick out like a sore thumb compared to your brothers, an incident will I think be very difficult to overcome.
norsk is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:13 am
  #26  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,263
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
The fact is... not a single poster on here knows.
You say that like it's not the same for EVERY other topic on here.
Scamp is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:51 am
  #27  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,872
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
You say that like it's not the same for EVERY other topic on here.
nah, Shiva is the authority on most shit.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 5:53 am
  #28  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,872
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by Standanista View Post
The stuff going on behind the scenes to prevent these sort of things is something we rarely hear about, and rightly so, but on the plain facts of actual incidents, Dubai today is many times safer from terrorist attack than 1990s London.
We will probably never know.

Let's hope all the saudis driving over the border at Eid have good intentions. Unlike the brother who went to Kuwait.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:31 am
  #29  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
nah, Shiva is the authority on most useless shit.
typo
shiva is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:53 am
  #30  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,707
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terror attacks in the UAE

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
We will probably never know.

Let's hope all the saudis driving over the border at Eid have good intentions. Unlike the brother who went to Kuwait.
Don't most of them come here for the shopping and hookers? Doubt most would want to ruin that bit of fun.


No matter how good the intel, security systems etc etc I don't think you can ever be totally secure. There is always one lone nutter with a point to prove.
Meow is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.