Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:41 am
  #166  
BE Enthusiast
 
The_Citizen's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 542
The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Great gig! Crowd were better than expected and was pretty good for a standard Dubai crowd! My only problem was that they only had 2 bars for a stone roses gig on a Thursday night!!!
The_Citizen is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:53 am
  #167  
BE Enthusiast
 
DOHDUBMAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Doha,Qatar
Posts: 446
DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS View Post
Great gig! Crowd were better than expected and was pretty good for a standard Dubai crowd! My only problem was that they only had 2 bars for a stone roses gig on a Thursday night!!!
I only seen one as we first came in!

Yeah that was a silly idea not having so much access to alchohol

Couple of people where making a fortune though selling 6 cans for 200AED straight from the crate
DOHDUBMAN is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:25 am
  #168  
banned
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,609
commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I only seen one as we first came in!

Yeah that was a silly idea not having so much access to alchohol

Couple of people where making a fortune though selling 6 cans for 200AED straight from the crate
Thing that amazaed me was the amount of people who must have missed so much of the concert by standing in a beer que. I was fortunate in that I went to the concert with my wife, who doesn't really care much for the Stone Roses, so she was quite happy to make 2 seperate 30min beer runs for me.(And her to be fair)..so in reality she spent over half the concert in a beer que..

No way was the que full of "wifes" so who the **** put getting a beer before getting stuck into the music??

Prob the people who came to see Mick Jagger...****nuggets
commander is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:33 am
  #169  
BE Enthusiast
 
The_Citizen's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 542
The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Originally Posted by commander View Post
Thing that amazaed me was the amount of people who must have missed so much of the concert by standing in a beer que. I was fortunate in that I went to the concert with my wife, who doesn't really care much for the Stone Roses, so she was quite happy to make 2 seperate 30min beer runs for me.(And her to be fair)..so in reality she spent over half the concert in a beer que..

No way was the que full of "wifes" so who the **** put getting a beer before getting stuck into the music??

Prob the people who came to see Mick Jagger...****nuggets
I bought 4 drinks before they came on and then someone offered to go during the gig. Not a chance was I going standing in the que whilst they was on stage. Plenty of drinking time after the gig.
The_Citizen is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:33 am
  #170  
BE Enthusiast
 
StublueKPL's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dubai/Glasgow
Posts: 328
StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

That is typical dubai. 2 bars for 10thousand plus. and the type of concert it was guaranteed people would be having a bevvy.

across at the media one hotel was pretty similar to be honest. not enough staff at the bar and long waits for a beer.

what will happen is that for the next concert, say someone like one direction or bruno mars where there are tons of kids/parents, they will put on extra bars/staff and it will be empty at them because the crowds at gigs like that wont be in the same frame of mind (i.e get drunk and jump around)
StublueKPL is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:50 am
  #171  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 22,350
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Originally Posted by commander View Post
Thing that amazaed me was the amount of people who must have missed so much of the concert by standing in a beer que. I was fortunate in that I went to the concert with my wife, who doesn't really care much for the Stone Roses, so she was quite happy to make 2 seperate 30min beer runs for me.(And her to be fair)..so in reality she spent over half the concert in a beer que..

No way was the que full of "wifes" so who the **** put getting a beer before getting stuck into the music??

Prob the people who came to see Mick Jagger...****nuggets
I know, what a bunch of ****ing weapons.

We got in there a bit early, no queue at bar on far side from entrance, got a few trays and then just before they came on we thought about getting some more, saw the queue and bombed it off. Watched the whole gig without a drink, which was handy given how much I was giving it large.

Was a great night, the crowd around us was quite good and my mate and I didn't stop singing and dancing along. Even my Mrs was loving it.

My boss left because he thought it was shit, but turns out he was stood at the back, surrounded by the beer queue and people just talking rather than enjoying the anthems
Scamp is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:00 am
  #172  
banned
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,609
commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I know, what a bunch of ****ing weapons.

We got in there a bit early, no queue at bar on far side from entrance, got a few trays and then just before they came on we thought about getting some more, saw the queue and bombed it off. Watched the whole gig without a drink, which was handy given how much I was giving it large.

Was a great night, the crowd around us was quite good and my mate and I didn't stop singing and dancing along. Even my Mrs was loving it.

My boss left because he thought it was shit, but turns out he was stood at the back, surrounded by the beer queue and people just talking rather than enjoying the anthems

Pretty much what we did, arrived early (when everyone was still over at Media One) and got a few trays...just for the wife and I.

After we went to media One for a few, but I can't recall too much about that..
commander is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:05 am
  #173  
BE Enthusiast
 
StublueKPL's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Dubai/Glasgow
Posts: 328
StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

one spare VIP ticket for Glasgow Green on June 15th if anyone interested?? face value, 210GBP
StublueKPL is offline  
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:09 am
  #174  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 22,350
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Originally Posted by commander View Post
Pretty much what we did, arrived early (when everyone was still over at Media One) and got a few trays...just for the wife and I.

After we went to media One for a few, but I can't recall too much about that..
We bombed out as soon as it finished, had been to M-Dek prior and loved it but knew it would be heaving so went to the Radisson's 8th floor bar.

HAd one drink and was hammered, so went to leave and the barman came over and demanded that I paid because he said I hadn't. Despite me handing him the money 10mins earlier.

Cue argument, me asking for him to review CCTV, he said he would and then just went behind the bar and started serving people again. I stood at the bar for a bit asking what he was doing, he just kept ignoring me and muttering bollocks, so I shouted a bit more that he'd tried it on to get an extra 217dhs (that was the bill, I even gave the prick a 3dhs tip).

Told me I could leave.

Was pretty annoyed at that whole episode but have the manager's business card and am noting down ideas for how best to complain.

Places to boycott now updated.
Scamp is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:55 am
  #175  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,553
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

So............. Thursday 21 February 2013 will go down in Dubai folklore as the date of an amazing gig by a legendary band who had split up years ago, got back together and flew in to show the people of Dubai that they could still do it.........

Anyway, that's enough about Deep Purple - what were The Stone Roses like?
The Dean is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:30 am
  #176  
BE Enthusiast
 
The_Citizen's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 542
The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
We bombed out as soon as it finished, had been to M-Dek prior and loved it but knew it would be heaving so went to the Radisson's 8th floor bar.

HAd one drink and was hammered, so went to leave and the barman came over and demanded that I paid because he said I hadn't. Despite me handing him the money 10mins earlier.

Cue argument, me asking for him to review CCTV, he said he would and then just went behind the bar and started serving people again. I stood at the bar for a bit asking what he was doing, he just kept ignoring me and muttering bollocks, so I shouted a bit more that he'd tried it on to get an extra 217dhs (that was the bill, I even gave the prick a 3dhs tip).

Told me I could leave.

Was pretty annoyed at that whole episode but have the manager's business card and am noting down ideas for how best to complain.

Places to boycott now updated.
I was in Raidisson after the gig and took so long to get served. We got our drinks which was a fair few drinks and the barman just walked away once he gave us the drinks. It was like they didn't want to take the money Was waiting 5-10 mins to just pay!
The_Citizen is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:40 am
  #177  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 22,350
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stone Roses in Dubai, 21 Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS View Post
I was in Raidisson after the gig and took so long to get served. We got our drinks which was a fair few drinks and the barman just walked away once he gave us the drinks. It was like they didn't want to take the money Was waiting 5-10 mins to just pay!
Fortunately I didn't have to wait, I just made him wait whilst I got rid of lots of 10's and 5's.

The 3dhs tip was obviously not appreciated!
Scamp is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.