Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Stalkers and security for women

Stalkers and security for women

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:57 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stalkers and security for women

Clearly if I was attacked I would protect myself without even thinking about it, that's natural. However, I was just talking to my friend who grew up in Dubai and has been practicing law here for the last 10 years or so. She said there is definitely a risk of arrest if you use mace or if somebody "wallops" him, and that there is still a common mentality that Western women are easy. I am going to check out some gadget shops that I've been recommended for alarms and also speak to security and the police to log the details.

I've got a camera in my bag so I can take pictures if I see him or his car again.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 8:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
if he's lebo he'll have his own
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:01 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes

I've got a camera in my bag so I can take pictures if I see him or his car again.
clearly i was kidding about assaulting him, but i think the camera is a good idea...

good luck and try not to worry about it...
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by commander
clearly i was kidding about assaulting him, but i think the camera is a good idea...

good luck and try not to worry about it...
Lol you weren't serious about walloping him in the nuts? Shame...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

aberdeensiregirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol you weren't serious about walloping him in the nuts? Shame...
Hope you have not seen any more sign of this man!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:10 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
you can call a special branch of the Dubai police for this type of thing, called Al Ameen, 8004888.

In general, I think women are too polite when things like this happen, you feel threatend by this guy so there is no reason for you to stay polite. Just tell him to go and leave you alone and let him know you will call the police if you see him again.
Also, why give him a name...even if it's false, he doesn't know that, so he thinks he now knows your name...you should have just told him that you are not interested.
Out of interest, if this guy had been Emirati, western dressed, and you had told him to fock off, what would happen if he then reported you just to get back at you???
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:16 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the long story! Last week Tuesday, a Lebanese/Arabic man parked behind me in my work parking lot. I noticed him looking at me in his car mirror. That day I was going to a conference at a hotel across the road from my office. Locked my car, and walked to the hotel with him 10 paces behind and went in a side entrance. I noticed him staring at me, before he went round the corner to the front entrance. I was a little early so I went to get coffee and freshen up, when I came out of the bathroom the guy was there and starts walking beside me asking me if I work at the hotel. I say no, it's just for a conference, and I go into the room. He disappears.

Anyway, yesterday, after work and a quick trip to the shop, I park in my garage and get my stuff out the car. I go into the lift lobby and what I believe is the same guy (same clothes) comes in and starts chatting, asking me if I live in the building. I said yes and asked him if he lived there, he initially struggled to answer, then said no, but his friend is on vacation and he visits him there sometimes. I call the lift with my security card, he asks me what floor I'm on and then asks me what my name is, which freaked me out. I gave him a false name, said have a good evening and got out the lift at my floor. He stayed in the lift.
So my friends have said I should keep a sharp eye out and maybe warn security to let me know if they see this guy around the building. Considering the security gaurds in our building are not exactly very sharp this doesn't fill me with confidence. Spugsy suggested I consider getting some kind of an alarm or something to protect myself. Does anyone know where I can find these kind of things here? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks in advance x
Just reading this.He clearly must have spooked you senseless.
The dumbest thing and I know you must be beating yourself up about it now-was to get into a confined space with him.
Can you imagine what-if this had become a court case, a defence agent would have made of you walking into a lift with him???-theywould have a field day with your credability implying you were desperate for it.
Fear is the power here.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:18 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Out of interest, if this guy had been Emirati, western dressed, and you had told him to fock off, what would happen if he then reported you just to get back at you???
I have no idea...I have told a few men to fck off...in polite ways and not so polite ways...but I have never been reported or got into trouble.
I once was followed by an Arab from Mirdif into the Deira City Centre parking garage, he tried to run me off the road along the way...he told me he was going to call the police to have me arrested, I told him please go ahead, in fact I told him I would call the police myself...and off he went, never to be seen again.
Whether or not a man is Emirati or not does not mean he can do whatever he wants as far as I am concerned and I don't take nationality into consideration in such cases. An asshole is an asshole.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:25 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea...I have told a few men to fck off...in polite ways and not so polite ways...but I have never been reported or got into trouble.
I once was followed by an Arab from Mirdif into the Deira City Centre parking garage, he tried to run me off the road along the way...he told me he was going to call the police to have me arrested, I told him please go ahead, in fact I told him I would call the police myself...and off he went, never to be seen again.
Whether or not a man is Emirati or not does not mean he can do whatever he wants as far as I am concerned and I don't take nationality into consideration in such cases. An asshole is an asshole.
Aye. You told me to **** off today. A lady not to be trifled with!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:26 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Aye. You told me to **** off today. A lady not to be trifled with!
there's a bit of pizza on the corner of your mouth...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:28 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

there's a bit of pizza on the corner of your mouth...
That's weird. I'm sure I ordered lasagne in the end...

Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:32 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

I must be one of the many, not of the few then....

But, if it is 'common knowledge' among locals that Western women are 'easy', then surely being rejected must be a hit to the ego.....
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:32 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
That's weird. I'm sure I ordered lasagne in the end...

lol...it was just my imagination...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:34 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

lol...it was just my imagination...
You must have some seriously focked-up imagination....
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:34 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
I must be one of the many, not of the few then....

But, if it is 'common knowledge' among locals that Western women are 'easy', then surely being rejected must be a hit to the ego.....
oh cryptic at this time of night...

I will ask them when I go out this weekend and report back...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.