Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Smuggling more than budgies!

Smuggling more than budgies!

Old May 14th 2011, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smuggling more than budgies!

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I [don't] like the article's phrasing "fetching $5000 a piece" though - they're animals, not objects... unless you get rid of that kind of mindset, then it's always going to continue.
It's an English word that's all..........

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/apiece
Old May 15th 2011, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Chris_m
Well i know giving them 3 meals a day, Access to sky Tv pool tables football pitches and computer access doesn't work. So yer why not give it a bash if it puts an end to things!!
You know this based on what? Speaking from experience I gather. Some countries have quite successfully implemented the 'luxury holiday prison model' you seem to critique, and enjoy very low rates of reoffending convicts.

But instituting the death penalty for all crimes would solve most things, I'd agree to that.
Old May 15th 2011, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Chris_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Spent 7yrs on the force in the uk. You can throw all the statistics you want at me. But from personal experience of picking up MR X at 1845pm for robbery and hi-jacking of a bus(I kid you not) after being released on licence from H.M Finest at 10am that morning on licence. Then no i do not think that luxury jails work in the slightest. Especially when asked why he did he replied am better off back in side they feed me!!!!

And another note to add, No i do not agree on the death penalty given the huge flaws in the judicial system and the amount of wrong convictions given, A Sgt once told me. We are all only ever a 15second judgement away from being convicted. I fell foul of this am no angel. But i tell you lets make the deterrent a little better that 3meals a day free TV and other privelages. Here if you're family can't pay u don't eat. Lets give that a go in the uk. And i bet cells here aint air conditioned either!!!!!

Last edited by Chris_m; May 15th 2011 at 5:26 pm.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Millemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really niceMillemonkey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chris_m
Spent 7yrs on the force in the uk. You can throw all the statistics you want at me. But from personal experience of picking up MR X at 1845pm for robbery and hi-jacking of a bus(I kid you not) after being released on licence from H.M Finest at 10am that morning on licence. Then no i do not think that luxury jails work in the slightest. Especially when asked why he did he replied am better off back in side they feed me!!!!

And another note to add, No i do not agree on the death penalty given the huge flaws in the judicial system and the amount of wrong convictions given, A Sgt once told me. We are all only ever a 15second judgement away from being convicted. I fell foul of this am no angel. But i tell you lets make the deterrent a little better that 3meals a day free TV and other privelages. Here if you're family can't pay u don't eat. Lets give that a go in the uk. And i bet cells here aint air conditioned either!!!!!
Agreed! Prisons should be hell-holes. People should be terrified of going to prison, it would make them think twice about committing crimes.
It's not frightening to go to prison in the UK these days, they're soft, holiday homes. Inmates are treated better than normal civilians!
If you want to deter criminals then you have to make the punishments something to be afraid of.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millemonkey
It's not frightening to go to prison in the UK these days, they're soft, holiday homes. Inmates are treated better than normal civilians!
Is this information sourced from the Daily Mail by any chance?