British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Smuggling more than budgies! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/smuggling-more-than-budgies-716878/)

kittycat1 May 13th 2011 1:07 pm

Smuggling more than budgies!

http://en.news.maktoob.com/200900007...rt/Article.htm

:(

Boomhauer May 13th 2011 1:10 pm

Re: Smuggling more than budgies!

"It looked like they had sedated the animals and had them in flat cages so they couldn't move around much," Galster said. Some of the animals were placed inside canisters with air holes.
I hope he gets to spend a lot of years behind bars. Seeing as he is an Emirati, not like he is some poor chap from a poverty stricken country desperate to feed his family.

Hello.Kitty May 13th 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 9362037)
I hope he gets to spend a lot of years behind bars. Seeing as he is an Emirati, not like he is some poor chap from a poverty stricken country desperate to feed his family.

I [don't] like the article's phrasing "fetching $5000 a piece" though - they're animals, not objects... unless you get rid of that kind of mindset, then it's always going to continue.

OriginalSunshine May 13th 2011 3:57 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gall...ok-in-pictures

First class passenger. Sick b*****d. The last picture is heartbreaking.

Glad he got caught in Thailand, not so much wasta influence there.

Chris_m May 13th 2011 5:02 pm

Hope they sedate and stick him in a little cage so he can't move!!!!

OleJanx May 13th 2011 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Chris_m (Post 9362491)

Seems like a fair punishment to me...:thumbup:

kittycat1 May 13th 2011 7:05 pm

And then stick him in the hold for however many hours- I imagine not all of these little animals would have survived the journey. It really is a sick trade.

If they had been discovered at this end what would have happened to them?

soukie May 13th 2011 8:10 pm

Better still feed him to the Mums and Dads. Looks like he might have wasta though as he has already been released on bail.

Chris_m May 13th 2011 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 9362765)
And then stick him in the hold for however many hours- I imagine not all of these little animals would have survived the journey. It really is a sick trade.

If they had been discovered at this end what would have happened to them?

More than likely nothing, As here they X-ray ur luggage on arrival, So i reckon he had someone at this end to get him through.

Spugsy May 14th 2011 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Chris_m (Post 9362986)
More than likely nothing, As here they X-ray ur luggage on arrival, So i reckon he had someone at this end to get him through.

Hope he goes to prison, but he'll more than likely get a fine and that's that.

Norm_uk May 14th 2011 10:39 am

I am sure he will love the special treatment he receives in a Thai jail with all his special rights to halal food, prayer times and exception from anything resembling work being respected of course ;)

Why don't they invest money in modern, well equipped Zoos with well trained staff if they want to see exotic animals?

N.

Paracletus May 14th 2011 11:52 am

So you are a big fan of Sharia law Iran style are you? :confused:

Chris_m May 14th 2011 1:13 pm

Well i know giving them 3 meals a day, Access to sky Tv pool tables football pitches and computer access doesn't work. So yer why not give it a bash if it puts an end to things!!

Blue Cat May 14th 2011 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Chris_m (Post 9364057)
Well i know giving them 3 meals a day, Access to sky Tv pool tables football pitches and computer access doesn't work. So yer why not give it a bash if it puts an end to things!!

:thumbup:

Alexa May 14th 2011 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9363836)
I am sure he will love the special treatment he receives in a Thai jail with all his special rights to halal food, prayer times and exception from anything resembling work being respected of course ;)

Why don't they invest money in modern, well equipped Zoos with well trained staff if they want to see exotic animals?

N.

They don't want to SEE those animals, they want to OWN them.
And well trained staff? Rofl. We had a Tiger mum and 2 cubs on the loose here for 2 days. They escaped from a "private" place, (say palace), because the Indian chap was scared shitless and left the door open while running away.

All 3 were shot by the police. No, not the Indian chap.