Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

SkyGo - Anyone using it in ME?

SkyGo - Anyone using it in ME?

Old Oct 31st 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SkyGo - Anyone using it in ME?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
The test you are doing is wrong in any case...

You need to test the connection to a UK server with and without the VPN on. To test to a server in Doha vs. one in the UK is not a fair comparison.
You are correct, and I was not testing Dubai server vs UK server. I was testing UK server with and without VPN.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthestig
The "normal" PPTP VPN ports are TCP Port 1723, IP Protocol 47 (GRE); L2TP: UDP Port 1701; IPSec: UDP Port 500, Pass IP protocol 50 and 51. Du is probably throttling traffic using them.

As the VPN support guy said, they can configure OpenVPN to use ANY port, effectively bypassing whatever "protection" system Du have in place. It's like the police setting up road blocks only on the M4 out of London to stop traffic heading for Reading...

OpenVPN must be configured at both ends (yours and the service provider) to bypass these roadblocks.
Well it would be interesting to know what settings you (or better, someone in Dubai, uses). I tried, interactively with a tech from my VPN, about 30 different UDP and TCP ports. 90% of these resulted in speeds so slow I couldn't even open speedtest.net. The remaining few resulted in the poor compromise that I have now. If anyone can share their port and protocol settings via PM with me, it would be highly appreciated.

Edit: I just tried the HTTP port (you can figure out which number that is) and even that is throttled, whereas normal web traffic isn't, so there's definitely some funky network profiling going on.

Last edited by csdf; Oct 31st 2011 at 1:26 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 1:55 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by csdf
Well it would be interesting to know what settings you (or better, someone in Dubai, uses). I tried, interactively with a tech from my VPN, about 30 different UDP and TCP ports. 90% of these resulted in speeds so slow I couldn't even open speedtest.net. The remaining few resulted in the poor compromise that I have now. If anyone can share their port and protocol settings via PM with me, it would be highly appreciated.

Edit: I just tried the HTTP port (you can figure out which number that is) and even that is throttled, whereas normal web traffic isn't, so there's definitely some funky network profiling going on.
PM sent
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:25 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthestig
PM sent
Do share the PM VPN love... I'm convinced my VPN is one of the better ones, if I can tweek it for 5Mbps plus I'll be very happy....
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

homersthirdnipple is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr Stig, been following this thread with interest and as I am moving out to Riyadh in January I need to have all my VPN, SKY GO and premier league football sussed out.
So to that end and at the risk of being a pest could you please PM me with your VPN provider.
Any info on how to subscribe to premier football through legal channels would be good also
Thanks
Al
Old Nov 9th 2011, 1:00 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Bandwagon! Me too for a PM purhlease.... I've one, but it is capped (and advertised as such) at 1Mbps. Oh, and mine works on Mac & iPhone (both essential). If I can get faster bandwidth that would be smashing
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:21 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by homersthirdnipple
Mr Stig, been following this thread with interest and as I am moving out to Riyadh in January I need to have all my VPN, SKY GO and premier league football sussed out.
So to that end and at the risk of being a pest could you please PM me with your VPN provider.
Any info on how to subscribe to premier football through legal channels would be good also
Thanks
Al
Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Bandwagon! Me too for a PM purhlease.... I've one, but it is capped (and advertised as such) at 1Mbps. Oh, and mine works on Mac & iPhone (both essential). If I can get faster bandwidth that would be smashing
PMs sent
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:55 pm