Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

SkyGo - Anyone using it in ME?

SkyGo - Anyone using it in ME?

Old Oct 29th 2011, 8:30 am
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of
Default SkyGo - Anyone using it in ME?

Mrs Stig has decided to have Sky installed back in the UK, and this means I will be able to use the online TV service SkyGo using the family Sky ID, as long as my IP address is in the UK...

Anyone tried the service already? I can view the Sky News feed Ok, but it isn't as reliable as the Beeb's iPlayer. It will be great to be able to watch the PL matches without using a crappy feed
Old Oct 29th 2011, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SkyGo - Anyone using it in ME?

i use it, but I have to download programs and watch just like iplayer. I use it thru a vpn and it is too slow to allow live streaming.

Would love them to stick discovery programs on it as they currently don't
Old Oct 29th 2011, 9:55 am
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flood2
i use it, but I have to download programs and watch just like iplayer. I use it thru a vpn and it is too slow to allow live streaming.

Would love them to stick discovery programs on it as they currently don't
Thanks, what bandwidth do you have available? On a good day I can watch BBC HD streamed (average bandwidth I get is 5mbps, up to 10) so I'm hoping this means I can watch SkyGo streamed as well.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

I have 16MBs (apparently). I use sky go thru VPN as they will not let you use if outside UK. That usually runs about 1MB. I have tried watching football, but it buffers and stops all the time
Old Oct 29th 2011, 11:13 am
Some say, he adores KSA

I have 16MBs (apparently). I use sky go thru VPN as they will not let you use if outside UK. That usually runs about 1MB. I have tried watching football, but it buffers and stops all the time
You only get 1mbs through the VPN, on a 16mbs service? Seems very slow, my vpn only takes about 10% of the bandwidth away. You should do a speed test with and without the vpn, and if you are losing much more than 10% there is something wrong with either the service or the configuration.

I think the iPlayer client is more tolerant of high latency connections (high ping rates) and has a larger buffer which probably explains the Sky streaming issues.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthestig
You only get 1mbs through the VPN, on a 16mbs service? Seems very slow, my vpn only takes about 10% of the bandwidth away. You should do a speed test with and without the vpn, and if you are losing much more than 10% there is something wrong with either the service or the configuration.

I think the iPlayer client is more tolerant of high latency connections (high ping rates) and has a larger buffer which probably explains the Sky streaming issues.
I just ran some speed tests...

Macbook Pro without vpn 19.96 Mbps :thumb up:

Acer notebook with VPN 0.42 Mbps :thumb down:

I do not know if the notebook is causing the slow speeds. Could you possibly PM with your vpn provider?
Old Oct 29th 2011, 2:28 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

I do not know if the notebook is causing the slow speeds. Could you possibly PM with your vpn provider?
PM sent
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:16 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

PM sent
Interested to also get PM on this - I understood VPN rates were due to things totally outside of your own connection speed. Such as traffic through the VPN you have connected to etc?

I've never, ever, seen a 90% rate while connect to VPN compared to my local rate...
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:52 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Interested to also get PM on this - I understood VPN rates were due to things totally outside of your own connection speed. Such as traffic through the VPN you have connected to etc?

I've never, ever, seen a 90% rate while connect to VPN compared to my local rate...
Just ran a series of tests and the vpn was actually faster than without, 5.7mbs with and 5.0mbs without, which I think is probably due to the connection between servers in Saudi being worse than between Saudi and London!

PM sent.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's possible for the speed to be faster through the VPN, must just have been a variance in the speed tests.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 6:28 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

Normally it isn't faster via the vpn, but it is always pretty close, and rarely more than 10% less via vpn.

Must be some issues with the server they use for testing in saudi, rather than a magic vpn!

Direct connection:

VPN connection:

Last edited by iamthestig; Oct 29th 2011 at 8:27 pm. Reason: Images
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

you are being throttled. Same happens to me.

unless I have a setting wrong somewhere
Old Oct 30th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Normally it isn't faster via the vpn, but it is always pretty close, and rarely more than 10% less via vpn.

Must be some issues with the server they use for testing in saudi, rather than a magic vpn!

Direct connection:
http://i.imgur.com/7kA9W.png

VPN connection:
http://i.imgur.com/GgxGH.png
I like the look of your VPN - could you send me that PM please!?

Currently I pay something like $15 a month and it's patchy at best....

Cheers
Old Oct 30th 2011, 7:53 am
Some say, he adores KSA

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
I like the look of your VPN - could you send me that PM please!?

Currently I pay something like $15 a month and it's patchy at best....

Cheers
PM sent. I'm paying yearly, $85 which is around $7 a month...
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

PM sent. I'm paying yearly, $85 which is around $7 a month...
can I have it too please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.