Shape Up in 2011

Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shape Up in 2011

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Your weight is (almost) irrelevant. By far the best barometer is how your clothes fit.

Is your "good diet" really clean? Although there's more than one way of achieving fat loss, the real experts at it (ie those who get down to single-digit bodyfat) cut out all carbs other than the low-GI ones: so no bread, pasta, croissants, white rice, bananas, fruit or anything starchy. Lots of low-fat protein, moderate amounts of low-GI carbs, moderate amounts of good fat (eg olive oil, oily fish), and loads of water.

And remember, when your body is burning fat, it burns all three fat stores: the fat around your internal organs, the fat in your muscle, and the fat under your skin, and therefore much of the fat loss is not visible. Muscle is about 4 times the density of fat, so if you're building some muscle from the weights and the protein, and burning the fat from raised metabolism, you might well not lose weight--but you'll be burning fat, which is the objective.

If you're exercising and eating right, just stick with it and ignore the scales.

Good luck
What are 'low-GI carbs'? Examples please, and pardon my ignorance.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:11 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
What are 'low-GI carbs'? Examples please, and pardon my ignorance.
Glyceamic Index refers to how quickly carbs release their energy. High GI foods raise your blood sugar, and insulin levels (generally), very quickly, which is great if you need a sudden burst of energy, not so great if you're trying to burn fat.

Low GI: non-starchy vegs, less-sweet fruits, nuts, pulses, whole grains
Medium GI: whole wheat, sweet potatoes
High GI: starchy vegs, sweet fruits

Generally I just stick to toms, cucumber, onion, peppers, cabbage, beetroot, avocado, lemons, celery, raddishes, carrots and an apple a day.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Generally I just stick to toms, cucumber, onion, peppers, cabbage, beetroot, avocado, lemons, celery, raddishes, carrots and an apple a day.
Where do hops fit into this?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:28 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Where do hops fit into this?
Once a week, as much as I want. Last time I did this regime I was legless after 4 pints. Makes for a cheap Thursday night out.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Can I weigh in (!) to say that apartment living doesn't help. Having a house wih stairs that you run up and down on a regular basis is much better for you. People here rarely walk anywhere, apart from around the odd mall. This really doesn't help with weight issues.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:19 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Meow
Can I weigh in (!) to say that apartment living doesn't help. Having a house wih stairs that you run up and down on a regular basis is much better for you. People here rarely walk anywhere, apart from around the odd mall. This really doesn't help with weight issues.
Very true. Stephen Fry lost a huge amount of weight by just walking (and probably dieting a bit). He said he walked at least 2 hours a day, plugged into his iPod. Just off for my lunchtime walk...
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

How is everyone doing? Im really struggling at the moment- I seem to have plateaued weightwise even gained back a few pounds after a heavy weekend but am avoiding the scales, and am really struggling to stay motivated, have a banging headache from nicotine with drawl, am in a foul mood and am desperately trying to stay focused but am finding it really bloody hard! Very much feeling like its two steps forward and one step back at the moment.

Can someone please kick me up the arse or give some wise words to stop me giving up!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Kittykat, stay away from the scales. Honest! That is probably the main cause of your demotivation as you anticipate "bad news". Your weight loss will plateau, but you have to keep going to keep your metabolisim up. Long term this is what will shed more weight. Anyway, weight is just a number - it is how you want to look and feel that really matters

I have just had a break after the triathlon, mainly as my knees were begining to ache, but back training again now. Even after only a week I can feel the break and was stiff after a the first couple of days! why not try to get back into it gently - even if it is the last thing you feel like doing. Your mood will improve significantly afterwards - and so will your energy levels. Failing that I'll send you a size 9 boot....
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:05 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting there. I had a period where I didn't go, but it was because work was getting in the way. I've started going at 6am every other morning, and when I wake up every Friday and Saturday.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 1:48 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

This is probably the right thread for this...

Any UAE (although preferably Dubai-based) ladies fancy being featured in SHAPE magazine? The editor is looking for fit, healthy, active, confident women in their 40's, 50's, 70's and 80's for a feature about feeling confident with yourself and your body. Let me know & I can pass on your details.

Don't be shy!

Thanks
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Im too young
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
This is probably the right thread for this...

Any UAE (although preferably Dubai-based) ladies fancy being featured in SHAPE magazine? The editor is looking for fit, healthy, active, confident women in their 40's, 50's, 70's and 80's for a feature about feeling confident with yourself and your body. Let me know & I can pass on your details.

Don't be shy!

Thanks
I'd like to have the confidence to feel the body of a woman in her 40s - does that count?
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:55 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by The Dean
No........... Meow missed out "60s".............
Ha ha!

Actually not asked for by my editor friend.

Someone must fit the bill. It won't be intrusive and you get to keep some nice photos of yourself.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 3:51 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 11th 2011, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How much water do you kids drink? I've upped my water intake (about 5 litres today)and seem to be pissing like a horse- does your body get used to it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.