Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:41 am
W10

Default Re: Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Originally Posted by Meow
W10, I am very far from being 'Daily Mail' - I despite that bitter, nasty, trouble-making rag.

My comments were meant generally and I did say I have sympathy for him. Tolerance is the answer to many things, as is being reasonable. That applies to people who already live in a country and those that move there - no matter where that is.

-
Lets have a hug then

Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:42 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Lets have a hug then
hey your mine and I don't share
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Pretty poor example. Rules regarding pork are not written in the atheist, secular agnostic book (or even the bible). The hotel simply adhered to a request so as not to offend someone's religious beliefs. Much the same as this guy is doing now (in the context of the article published)

Norm...the UK is a secular country and the rules and customs of the land allow him religious freedom and the right to make such requests. This makes the UK a forward thinking country.
yeah, the same religious beliefs that don't allow alcohol...they haven't hidden that away...and the same hotel that has a bar heaving with guys in local dress getting totally pissed...

you're right, it all makes total sense...

MM, xx
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:47 am
W10

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yeah, the same religious beliefs that don't allow alcohol...they haven't hidden that away...and the same hotel that has a bar heaving with guys in local dress getting totally pissed...

you're right, it all makes total sense...

MM, xx
I don't understand your point.

Unless you are suggesting that

a, anything other than a minority of UAE nationals drink ior
b, it is not against their cultural or religious beliefs to drink

Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
I don't understand your point.

Unless you are suggesting that

a, anything other than a minority of UAE nationals drink ior
b, it is not against their cultural or religious beliefs to drink
i'm not saying either, and don't know how you construed either of those options from what i said...clearly i'm not explaining myself clearly...

i find that they pick and choose here when they want to play the religious card and when they don't, and i think it's extremely hypocritical...one person apparently complained about pork being on display (err, and it's not like they were forced to eat it), and now it has to be hidden away...but, both pork AND alcohol are against the religious beliefs, so how come alcohol hasn't been hidden away? it's because it didn't suit them to do that...

MM, xx
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not saying either, and don't know how you construed either of those options from what i said...clearly i'm not explaining myself clearly...

i find that they pick and choose here when they want to play the religious card and when they don't, and i think it's extremely hypocritical...one person apparently complained about pork being on display (err, and it's not like they were forced to eat it), and now it has to be hidden away...but, both pork AND alcohol are against the religious beliefs, so how come alcohol hasn't been hidden away? it's because it didn't suit them to do that...

MM, xx
It makes them tooo much dosh thats why
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Alcohol is not illegal here. Procurement of alcohol in Abu is done by ADNH which is a government entity which makes huge profits for them.

Alcohol is procured for non Muslim consumption residing in the UAE, therefore not illegal.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by annacarna
It makes them tooo much dosh thats why
yeah, that's exactly right...

MM, xx
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

If alcohol was illegal here there would less tourists and they need the tourists to keep this place going, that is obvious....

they cant have their cake and eat it... not unless money grows on trees in this country and if so someone please point me in the right direction....!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:06 pm
W10

yeah, that's exactly right...

MM, xx
It's weird. It's like everyone else is arguing a different topic to me...

If you read everything I wrote, you won't find me disagreeing that the UAE tolerates it for financial reasons.

That doesn't mean they (whoever the homogenous lump known as they are) don't see it as being against their culture. The vast majority of Emiratis do not drink and do not eat pork.

Pork is really one of the biggest no nos. The stand on pork is - I believe - explicitly stated in the Quran.

Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

actually W10 you just reminded me of a young lass i used to work with - she was muslim but didnt pray all day etc, lovely lass. Anyway we went to an evening out thing and she was eating away at this funny looking meat thing, i asked the waiter what it was, he said it was pork, she presumed it was veal - jes i have never ever seen someone look like they were going to die on the spot, she made herself violently sick, as in there was nothing left but she was still trying and she was off work for a few days! Extreme huh!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by W10
It's weird. It's like everyone else is arguing a different topic to me...

If you read everything I wrote, you won't find me disagreeing that the UAE tolerates it for financial reasons.

That doesn't mean they (whoever the homogenous lump known as they are) don't see it as being against their culture. The vast majority of Emiratis do not drink and do not eat pork.

Pork is really one of the biggest no nos. The stand on pork is - I believe - explicitly stated in the Quran.
Not weird, my replies to your posts are about your incorrect statements that alcohol is illegal

Would agree that probably no emiratis eat pork, alcohol is debatable W10 they hardly go around shouting it out that they like a bevvy
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:48 pm
W10

Originally Posted by annacarna
Not weird, my replies to your posts are about your incorrect statements that alcohol is illegal

Would agree that probably no emiratis eat pork, alcohol is debatable W10 they hardly go around shouting it out that they like a bevvy
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Personally I have seen nothing to suggest that anything more than a minority of UAE nationals drink. For example, have you ever seen UAE national women drinking?

And the law on alcohol is very vague. As I said, my understanding is that it is technically illegal (which is why when arrested drunk you could be charged with consuming alcohol as a criminal offence) but it is up to the individual emirate to enforce/develop their own local laws.

Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:52 pm
W10

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
actually W10 you just reminded me of a young lass i used to work with - she was muslim but didnt pray all day etc, lovely lass. Anyway we went to an evening out thing and she was eating away at this funny looking meat thing, i asked the waiter what it was, he said it was pork, she presumed it was veal - jes i have never ever seen someone look like they were going to die on the spot, she made herself violently sick, as in there was nothing left but she was still trying and she was off work for a few days! Extreme huh!
Or...religious belief.

Because we don't have particularly strong beliefs, it doesn't make it weird for others to have them.

There are westerners who be sick if they accidentally ate dogs, or bird foetuses because they have strong convictions over the morality of this. I know vegans who would never dream of handling meat and would vomit if they ever ate some....

Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by W10
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Personally I have seen nothing to suggest that anything more than a minority of UAE nationals drink. For example, have you ever seen UAE national women drinking?
well, don't know of the percentage, but you go into most bars, and there are local guys drinking there, same at any of the racing events, restaurants, brunches, etc etc...

as for seeing local women, no you don't, they are treated differently and are actually stopped from going in to bars because bars choose to adhere to the law for some reason...i know of a group who went to bahri bar in december, a mix of westerners and locals, the local guys were allowed in, but not the local women...my friend made a fuss, and the manager explained that they would lose their licence if they let the muslim women in...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.