British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/sausages-muslim-chef-sues-police-582426/)

Bison Jan 7th 2009 11:27 am

Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

A Muslim catering manager who was asked to handle pork sausages and bacon is bringing a claim for religious discrimination against the Metropolitan Police.

An English breakfast is at the centre of the row

Hasanali Khoja was told he would be expected to handle pork products when he started a new job at the Empress State Building in London's Earls Court.

An informal agreement has now been reached but Mr Khoja, who launched his claim last year, wants it to be formalised.

An employment tribunal in Watford will consider his claim next year.

"Obviously nobody in my situation would be happy," he said. "Pork handling is the issue."

The claim is about his religious beliefs. He was not accommodated, that's what the claim is about. They failed to accommodate him as they had a duty to do under the law.

Lawyer Khalid Sofi

Mr Khoja, who has worked for the force since 2005, had previously worked at Hendon Police College in north London, but was excused from touching pork products due to his religion.

As a senior catering manager, he does not cook on a regular basis, but is expected to handle food, his lawyer Khalid Sofi said.

"He would have had to do certain things and bacon would have been involved."

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "A catering manager is bringing employment tribunal proceedings against the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) alleging religious belief discrimination.

"The MPS is defending the claim. It's an ongoing case so we wouldn't comment further."

MrsHaps Jan 7th 2009 11:30 am

Re: Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7136441)
A Muslim catering manager who was asked to handle pork sausages and bacon is bringing a claim for religious discrimination against the Metropolitan Police.

An English breakfast is at the centre of the row

Hasanali Khoja was told he would be expected to handle pork products when he started a new job at the Empress State Building in London's Earls Court.

An informal agreement has now been reached but Mr Khoja, who launched his claim last year, wants it to be formalised.

An employment tribunal in Watford will consider his claim next year.

"Obviously nobody in my situation would be happy," he said. "Pork handling is the issue."

The claim is about his religious beliefs. He was not accommodated, that's what the claim is about. They failed to accommodate him as they had a duty to do under the law.

Lawyer Khalid Sofi

Mr Khoja, who has worked for the force since 2005, had previously worked at Hendon Police College in north London, but was excused from touching pork products due to his religion.

As a senior catering manager, he does not cook on a regular basis, but is expected to handle food, his lawyer Khalid Sofi said.

"He would have had to do certain things and bacon would have been involved."

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "A catering manager is bringing employment tribunal proceedings against the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) alleging religious belief discrimination.

"The MPS is defending the claim. It's an ongoing case so we wouldn't comment further."

Politics gone mad.....

W10 Jan 7th 2009 11:37 am

It isn't anything gone mad.

It's a credit to the UK that it has legislation which allows for and protects people's religious beliefs.

MrsHaps Jan 7th 2009 11:45 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7136471)

It's a credit to the UK that it has legislation which allows for and protects people's religious beliefs.

doesnt it state at the beginning he knew he would be expected to handle pork...

Fairydust Jan 7th 2009 11:46 am

Thats ridiculous if you accept a job as a chef at a UK police station the chances are you are going to come into contact with pork and probably non-halal meat as well - he should have tried for a job elsewhere. Same as if you were a recovering alcoholic you wouldn't accept a job in a bar

Sorry thats not a very good example - how about a devout roman catholic accepting a job as a care assistant in a abortion clinic

commander Jan 7th 2009 11:46 am

I agree with your second statement totally but why did he take the job if he was made aware that it would involve handling pork products?

W10 Jan 7th 2009 11:47 am

So his choice was to resign, or continue on and hope for reason to prevail.

Which would you do?

Inselaffen Jan 7th 2009 11:47 am

of course it is.
he knew the job involved handling pork so he shouldnt have applied for it.

MrsHaps Jan 7th 2009 11:49 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7136499)
So his choice was to resign, or continue on and hope for reason to prevail.

Which would you do?

not take the job in the first place?

W10 Jan 7th 2009 11:51 am

It is not beyond the realms of imagination that this wasn't mentioned at the interview but rather when he started (especially as the wording of the article implies this).

Edit to say: After a second look, my reading of this article is that he was transferred from one place to another and was already employed by the MPS...so that makes it more logical that he was not told until he started

If he was informed on application that this would be the case, he did not raise any objections at the time, was informed again before starting, did not raise objections and then started kicking up a fuss - then he will lose the case.

Either way, the legislation is there for a reason.

The story also does not state whether he is taking them to tribunal for a financial claim, or whether he is simply asking for his informal arrangement (which implies that he is still working in that canteen) to be written down in his contract.

Cleopatra Jan 7th 2009 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7136500)
of course it is.
he knew the job involved handling pork so he shouldnt have applied for it.

I would understand the problem if they made him eat it, but I cant see the problem if he was just handling the meat.

Am I missing something?

still.unsure Jan 7th 2009 11:55 am

does anyone else find it rather amusing that he's working with the 'police' so of course he's surrounded by 'pigs' and 'pork products'!? :p

yay the filth! :D

(back to my juvenile corner now... :o )

W10 Jan 7th 2009 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Cleopatra (Post 7136508)
I would understand the problem if they made him eat it, but I cant see the problem if he was just handling the meat.

Am I missing something?

An enormous amount. Go to India and ask a Hindu to pack beefburgers...

MrsHaps Jan 7th 2009 11:56 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7136505)
It is not beyond the realms of imagination that this wasn't mentioned at the interview but rather when he started (especially as the wording of the article implies this).

If he was informed on application that this would be the case, he did not raise any objections at the time, was informed again before starting, did not raise objections and then started kicking up a fuss - then he will lose the case.

Either way, the legislation is there for a reason.

The story also does not state whether he is taking them to tribunal for a financial claim, or whether he is simply asking for his informal arrangement (which implies that he is still working in that canteen) to be written down in his contract.

I agree with you - surely food handling would have been mentioned and obviously because of his religion there is a pork issue - surely he should have also stated what he was not going to do....handle pork?

Blue Cat Jan 7th 2009 11:57 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7136497)
I agree with your second statement totally but why did he take the job if he was made aware that it would involve handling pork products?

that's the impression I get, he knew anyway?