Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sausages: Muslim Chef Sues Police

Originally Posted by Meow
It says he is making a claim against the police. I bet you (or would if it wasn't illegal) that he requests financial compensation, so same same.

One of the good things about the UK is that anyone may freely practice their religion, unlike many other places, and I have no problem if anyone wants to believe in the tooth fairy, the flying spagetti monster or a bloke on a cloud. Religion should be a private matter, not forced into the public arena at every opportunity.

No one has stopped him from practicing his religion. He has not been asked to eat pork. He could take steps not to touch it if it offends (I hate the feel of raw chicken so get around that with gloves), or possibly find someone else to help out, but this is not religious discrimination.

-
yep yep yep!

(chicken issue, i cant touch raw meat full stop and i cant pull meat away from the bone - makes me shudder!)
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:14 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison
A Muslim catering manager who was asked to handle pork sausages and bacon is bringing a claim for religious discrimination against the Metropolitan Police.

An English breakfast is at the centre of the row

Hasanali Khoja was told he would be expected to handle pork products when he started a new job at the Empress State Building in London's Earls Court.

An informal agreement has now been reached but Mr Khoja, who launched his claim last year, wants it to be formalised.

An employment tribunal in Watford will consider his claim next year.

"Obviously nobody in my situation would be happy," he said. "Pork handling is the issue."

The claim is about his religious beliefs. He was not accommodated, that's what the claim is about. They failed to accommodate him as they had a duty to do under the law.

Lawyer Khalid Sofi

Mr Khoja, who has worked for the force since 2005, had previously worked at Hendon Police College in north London, but was excused from touching pork products due to his religion.

As a senior catering manager, he does not cook on a regular basis, but is expected to handle food, his lawyer Khalid Sofi said.

"He would have had to do certain things and bacon would have been involved."

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "A catering manager is bringing employment tribunal proceedings against the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) alleging religious belief discrimination.

"The MPS is defending the claim. It's an ongoing case so we wouldn't comment further."
same thing happened at tesco a while ago, some dude was muslim in the warehosue and refused to shift crates of beer.

I think they told him to bugger off as he knew what he would ahve to carry when he came for the interview.

love this though 'An English breakfast is at the centre of the row' - heh!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:16 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by still.unsure
does anyone else find it rather amusing that he's working with the 'police' so of course he's surrounded by 'pigs' and 'pork products'!?

yay the filth!

(back to my juvenile corner now... )
heh, yes I like that a lot, like a daft young kid would.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:57 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Meow
No one has stopped him from practicing his religion. He has not been asked to eat pork. He could take steps not to touch it if it offends (I hate the feel of raw chicken so get around that with gloves), or possibly find someone else to help out, but this is not religious discrimination.

-
From the article (and as has been mentioned, it is not specific) he is taking them to tribunal because they will not formalise an informal arrangement that he has in place already to prevent him from having to handle pork products.

I don't think you can possibly equate a deeply held religious conviction (as this person argues) with 'hating the feel' of something.

Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:09 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Spugsy
heh, yes I like that a lot, like a daft young kid would.
cheers!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:42 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison
A Muslim catering manager who was asked to handle pork sausages and bacon is bringing a claim for religious discrimination against the Metropolitan Police.

An English breakfast is at the centre of the row

Hasanali Khoja was told he would be expected to handle pork products when he started a new job at the Empress State Building in London's Earls Court.

An informal agreement has now been reached but Mr Khoja, who launched his claim last year, wants it to be formalised.

An employment tribunal in Watford will consider his claim next year.

"Obviously nobody in my situation would be happy," he said. "Pork handling is the issue."

The claim is about his religious beliefs. He was not accommodated, that's what the claim is about. They failed to accommodate him as they had a duty to do under the law.

Lawyer Khalid Sofi

Mr Khoja, who has worked for the force since 2005, had previously worked at Hendon Police College in north London, but was excused from touching pork products due to his religion.

As a senior catering manager, he does not cook on a regular basis, but is expected to handle food, his lawyer Khalid Sofi said.

"He would have had to do certain things and bacon would have been involved."

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "A catering manager is bringing employment tribunal proceedings against the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) alleging religious belief discrimination.

"The MPS is defending the claim. It's an ongoing case so we wouldn't comment further."
Sharia Law is quite clear that Muslims are to respect and abide by the customs and rules of non-muslim lands when they visit them.

Why should we accomodate him? None of us here in the UAE would ask the our local hosts to change their customs just to suit us...and none of us would even considering litigation for such things.

This is another case of how the UK has put it's native traditions and cultures to back of the line in favour of others...such a thing should not even be possible.

N.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Sharia Law is quite clear that Muslims are to respect and abide by the customs and rules of non-muslim lands when they visit them.

Why should we accomodate him? None of us here in the UAE would ask the our local hosts to change their customs just to suit us...and none of us would even considering litigation for such things.

This is another case of how the UK has put it's native traditions and cultures to back of the line in favour of others...such a thing should not even be possible.

N.
yeah, i agree...the mina al salaam and al qasr, for example, have had to hide pork away at brunches because some locals apparently got offended seeing it, can't see any of us being able to sue them though...

MM, xx
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:47 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yeah, i agree...the mina al salaam and al qasr, for example, have had to hide pork away at brunches because some locals apparently got offended seeing it, can't see any of us being able to sue them though...

MM, xx
It's their country...they are not taking away fundamental human rights in doing do so I can only respect and support them even if I think it's ridiculous.

The problem in the UK is we have made equal citizens of people who share very few of the same values as us...the UAE has done the right thing of being welcome hosts who let us stay and work until we have no more work and go home or marry one of them and openly convert to their culture and belief...

N.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:47 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
Pretty poor example. Rules regarding pork are not written in the atheist, secular agnostic book (or even the bible). The hotel simply adhered to a request so as not to offend someone's religious beliefs. Much the same as this guy is doing now (in the context of the article published)

Norm...the UK is a secular country and the rules and customs of the land allow him religious freedom and the right to make such requests. This makes the UK a forward thinking country.

Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Pretty poor example. Rules regarding pork are not written in the atheist, secular agnostic book (or even the bible). The hotel simply adhered to a request so as not to offend someone's religious beliefs. Much the same as this guy is doing now (in the context of the article published)

Norm...the UK is a secular country and the rules and customs of the land allow him religious freedom and the right to make such requests. This makes the UK a forward thinking country.
to be exact the UK is not a secular country.
The Anglican Religion is still the official state religion of England and the Presbyterian religion the state religion of Scotland.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
to be exact the UK is not a secular country.
The Anglican Religion is still the official state religion of England and the Presbyterian religion the state religion of Scotland.
Roll on disestablishment.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
This makes the UK a forward thinking country.
To the extent it has gone to, is that really a good thing.......
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by W10

Secular? The head of state can only be crowned by the senior member of the anglican church...

There's no official seperation of religion and state in the UK. Sorry you're wrong.

Even if there were I still think this is stupid...the guy should just get another job or not go to countries where pork is a major part of the diet and want to work as a food handler.

N.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:23 am
W10

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Secular? The head of state can only be crowned by the senior member of the anglican church...

There's no official seperation of religion and state in the UK. Sorry you're wrong.

Even if there were I still think this is stupid...the guy should just get another job or not go to countries where pork is a major part of the diet and want to work as a food handler.

N.
So we should all go home if we want to drink and have sex outside of marriage?

And yes, sorry, you are correct. What I mean is that generally there separation of religion and the legislative arm/government.

Last edited by W10; Jan 8th 2009 at 9:25 am.

Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:29 am
W10

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
To the extent it has gone to, is that really a good thing.......
How far has it gone? Seems like he is just exercising his legal right.

You ban this then you ban everyone from lodging tribunal cases?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.