Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Rolling Stone magazine's Ten Best Singers Of All Time

Rolling Stone magazine's Ten Best Singers Of All Time

Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rolling Stone magazine's Ten Best Singers Of All Time

Originally Posted by Confucius
Depeche Mode were one of the biggest influences behind the now-17-yearold musical phenomenon that is Techno-House-Trance...
Oh and Dave gahan has a great voice and is sexy...

What about Elvis Costello, Paul Weller and The Clash ? Then of course there was Billie Holliday. I also happen to like ELO.........
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Alen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond reputeAlen1 has a reputation beyond repute

some amazing people there, and as much as I love Elvis, he did great songs but wasn't a brilliant singer,

Before Elvis, there was nothing.
Billy tells it exactly as I remember.
Attached Files
Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
OK points taken - an interesting list, though none were as significant as the major bands I listed (and let's face it - Oasis sound like nobody more than the Beatles).

If I want to 'revisit' The Smiths, which album would you recommend?

TD, xx
'Meat is Murder' or 'Strangeways Here We Come' both classics that will go down in musical history !
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:14 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Much though I enjoy soul music, my list would have included many more white singers like David Bowie, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Annie Lennox and George Michael to name but a few...all British incidentally. I also think Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Whitney Houston and Ella Fitzgerald should appear above the likes of Ray Charles and Otis Redding. Still, each to his/her own.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Beatles, Stones, Who, Genesis, Cream, Floyd, Kinks (ludicrously underrated), Led Zep, Roxy Music............

Without these and others, The Smiths would not have existed.

NME readers of course (I used to be one, but not for many years I admit) would simply not grasp this.

And what does "influential" actually mean - they 'influenced' the music industry, I assume. Who did The Smiths actually 'influence'?
I think you underestimate the readers of the NME a magazine which has championed the above mentioned music from the 60s when it was created as well as those of latter day bands, The La's, Roses, Mondays, Primal Scream, Charlatans, The Verve, Blur, Oasis, Killers, The Music, Arctic Monkeys, right through to stuff far too yooful for me...

I am not a big Smiths fan more Marr than Morrisey anyhows, but I think you will find new musicians and music enthusiasts will have a very good understanding of music through the last 50 years and the influences and developments it has made...

Also no mention of Noddy Holder that man has one eck of a voice...
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
Much though I enjoy soul music, my list would have included many more white singers like David Bowie, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Annie Lennox and George Michael to name but a few...all British incidentally. I also think Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Whitney Houston and Ella Fitzgerald should appear above the likes of Ray Charles and Otis Redding. Still, each to his/her own.
Whitney Houston .... should appear above the likes of Ray Charles and Otis Redding

Go and lie down............ preferably for a long time. The Shouter above Ray Charles and Otis Redding?? Please - this was meant to be a serious discussion......... and this from a non-Muslim woman of colour.........

Whitney Houston cannot sing. Period. She shouts. In tune, admittedly, but that doesn't make it singing.

My blood is boiling.............
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Can I remind everyone that the subject of the survey was "BEST" singers?

A lot of people here are simply listing their own personal 'favourites'.......... not the same thing at all.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Can I remind everyone that the subject of the survey was "BEST" singers?

A lot of people here are simply listing their own personal 'favourites'.......... not the same thing at all.
actually, i think mick hucknall has to go down in the list of best singers...live he is totally amazing...and tracy thorn for that matter...

MM, xx
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
actually, i think mick hucknall has to go down in the list of best singers...live he is totally amazing...and tracy thorn for that matter...

MM, xx
MM

You have now gone down in my estimations, The Ginger Whinger....Yuk !

I would rather listen to Trio !
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
MM

You have now gone down in my estimations, The Ginger Whinger....Yuk !

I would rather listen to Trio !
nah, he really does have an amazing voice, whether you like his music is a different matter...

MM, xx
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
nah, he really does have an amazing voice, whether you like his music is a different matter...

MM, xx
well..i wouldnt want to be stuck in a room with you and Karlos and your "music" collections!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:46 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya

No one comes above Ray Charles.....except Al Green .
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
No one comes above Ray Charles.....except Al Green .
Ray Charles was a genius.I love him.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:49 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor
Ray Charles was a genius.I love him.
Wasn't the movie fantastic too.Soundtrack oft not far from my player..
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Wasn't the movie fantastic too.Soundtrack oft not far from my player..
Ive got the DVD.Amazing film.He played that part really well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.