Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Rolling Stone magazine's Ten Best Singers Of All Time

Wikiposts

Rolling Stone magazine's Ten Best Singers Of All Time

Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rolling Stone magazine's Ten Best Singers Of All Time

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
And which boy band did you want in the top ten?

But then again at your age it would probalbly be The Bay City Rollers, Davis Cassidy or The Osmonds !
no...im quite happy with Ray Charles,Stevie Wonder and Aretha.
I have good taste in music you see.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:42 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
........... and, to continue a debate from the 'Good News' thread - no Freddie Mercury??
was just about to say Freddy Mercury..

Im no jobby jabber but that guy could sing.......
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
was just about to say Freddy Mercury..

Im no jobby jabber but that guy could sing.......
jobby jabber?!...commander!!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

You may like him - but if anyone tries to suggest Morrissey is one of the top ten singers of all time, I will hunt them down and get very very cross with them indeed.............

I had assumed the category was based on 'voice' rather than say 'legendary status' but I could be wrong (John Lennon?? Great contributor to the history of popular music, of course, but one of the best voices ?? Don't think so - he sang through his nose).

The votes were supposedly applied to the 'rock era' which might rule out Sinatra, Crosby, etc............ and if you want a genuine 'power rock' vocalist, Jon Bon Jovi must be included.........
Actually he, John Lennon, sang with reverb/feedback as he didnt like the sound of his voice...

I suppose these things are all relative, Karen Carpenter for example had a remarkable voice but Mozza could probably only deliver his lyrics in such a particular witty sinycal way, not in a classical singing voice...
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

The Smiths were voted the most influencial band in British music by NME readers

Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

The Smiths were voted the most influencial band in British music by NME readers

why is that funny...?? nme is one of the most influential music mags in the world, so actually any survey of theirs is credible...

MM, xx
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:06 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Bob Dylan, John Lennon and James Brown out.

I like them all but....

Bruce Springsteen, Bono and the numero uno Al Green have to be there
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
why is that funny...?? nme is one of the most influential music mags in the world, so actually any survey of theirs is credible...

MM, xx
Beatles, Stones, Who, Genesis, Cream, Floyd, Kinks (ludicrously underrated), Led Zep, Roxy Music............

Without these and others, The Smiths would not have existed.

NME readers of course (I used to be one, but not for many years I admit) would simply not grasp this.

And what does "influential" actually mean - they 'influenced' the music industry, I assume. Who did The Smiths actually 'influence'?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

And what does "influential" actually mean - they 'influenced' the music industry, I assume. Who did The Smiths actually 'influence'?
the smiths had a huge, and undeniable, infuence on the british music industry...loads of musicians cite the smiths as their inspiration; russell brand loves them and err, so does david cameron, lol...what more do you need...

MM, xx
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the smiths had a huge, and undeniable, infuence on the british music industry...loads of musicians cite the smiths as their inspiration; russell brand loves them and err, so does david cameron, lol...what more do you need...

MM, xx
I challenge you to name significant bands who claim the Smiths were their principal influence............ and I'd like the bands themselves (or you can if you like) to specify in what way this influence materialises in their work.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I challenge you to name significant bands who claim the Smiths were their principal influence............ and I'd like the bands themselves (or you can if you like) to specify in what way this influence materialises in their work.
they were the crucial turning point for music in the 80s...and countless bands since have cited them...including, Oasis, Blur, Stone Roses, Radiohead, Blur, Placebo, the Killers, plus many, many more...

please feel free to contact them direct to answer the second part of the question...and do share, would make interesting reading...

MM, xx
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

they were the crucial turning point for music in the 80s...and countless bands since have cited them...including, Oasis, Blur, Stone Roses, Radiohead, Blur, Placebo, the Killers, plus many, many more...

please feel free to contact them direct to answer the second part of the question...and do share, would make interesting reading...

MM, xx
OK points taken - an interesting list, though none were as significant as the major bands I listed (and let's face it - Oasis sound like nobody more than the Beatles).

If I want to 'revisit' The Smiths, which album would you recommend?

TD, xx
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MM, xx
.......... and to paraphrase 'Blazing Saddles':

"You said Blur twice"

"I like Blur..............."
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK points taken - an interesting list, though none were as significant as the major bands I listed (and let's face it - Oasis sound like nobody more than the Beatles).

If I want to 'revisit' The Smiths, which album would you recommend?

TD, xx
if you force me to chose one, then it has to be the queen is dead...although it doesn't include how soon is now, which has to be one of their best tracks ever...

MM, xx
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Depeche Mode were one of the biggest influences behind the now-17-yearold musical phenomenon that is Techno-House-Trance...
Oh and Dave gahan has a great voice and is sexy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.