Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Psychedelic new UK flag ??

Psychedelic new UK flag ??

Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Psychedelic new UK flag ??

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
they havn't earned such an honour
Thank christ for that..
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Strange one this for me.

Growing up in the 70's in Bradford, there was always a presence of the National Front and the BNP, who in those days, wore the uniform of Doc Martens,shaved heads and of course, the Union Flag draped everywhere. Thats the first abiding memory of it for me. In all honesty, as a young immigrant with brown skin in 70's England, I became afraid of the Union Flag, as it almost always meant being racially abused and physically threatened, and with some of my unfortunate friends, the physical threats often became actual attacks. Basically, if I saw it anywhere, I knew it was going to be trouble.

I'm glad to say though that through the 90's in particular, the Union Flag became 'cool' again, and its used quite often in fashion and many other 'nicer' ways, so for me it has become less threatening.

I personally think ( although it brings back some really nasty memories ) that it should stay as it is. Its a bit of a love hate thing. Hard to explain unless you've been there. Whilst the first flag is very radical, it does even more to dilute the identity of the UK. The Union Flag is perhaps the most recognised in the world next to the Stars and Stripes. It should be kept that way.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Strange one this for me.

Growing up in the 70's in Bradford, there was always a presence of the National Front and the BNP, who in those days, wore the uniform of Doc Martens,shaved heads and of course, the Union Flag draped everywhere. Thats the first abiding memory of it for me. In all honesty, as a young immigrant with brown skin in 70's England, I became afraid of the Union Flag, as it almost always meant being racially abused and physically threatened, and with some of my unfortunate friends, the physical threats often became actual attacks. Basically, if I saw it anywhere, I knew it was going to be trouble.
that's awful mate.......

dark days indeed.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I can see what the guy was trying to do with #1 - it's an attempt at a Paul Smith "Cool Brittania" type thang..... but the UK may be better advised to let Sir P do the job hisself.....
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:23 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

The UK doesn't have much of an identity left. Sadly the only people who seem to be proud of British history and culture are the racist thugs.

When someone with half a brain tries to stand up for British values and traditions everyone (immigrant and native alike) decries them as racists so I see this new flag as just another method of dilution in the process of destroying Britain as our grandfather's knew it.

If they tried something like this in the USA half the country would march armed on the capitol to stop it - by force if needed. But we can't do that in Britain because we have surrendered our rights to the government and so deserve everything we get.

In a free country a government should be afraid of it's people and the British government is fearless in eroding basic identity so that should tell you how free we are!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

One is awful. Why do we need black and yellow on it anyway. Two is okay if Scotland decide to go their own way. I don't think the flag has the same patriotic value it used to and probably 80% of the population won't really care what happens to it.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

we should change the English one back to the Anglo-Saxon white Dragon flag.
get rid of the current dull-christian job

Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond reputeMissDemeanor has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.whitedragonflagofengland....s/buy_flag.jpg
We shouldnt change anything...the whole thing is disgusting.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:08 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.whitedragonflagofengland....s/buy_flag.jpg
Now there's an idea...the cross is not English at all and comes from some greco-roman-judean death cult hehe.

Can we call christmas yuletide again too?