British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Psychedelic new UK flag ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/psychedelic-new-uk-flag-549938/)

MacScot Jul 19th 2008 12:40 pm

Psychedelic new UK flag ??

3 Attachment(s)
An English flag fanatic, John Yates of Milton Keynes, has redesigned the Union Flag to take proper account of Wales and which he presented at the Welsh Eisteddfod last week. Image 1 shows the redesign...but you might need your sunglasses..its almost psychedelic ! Anyway, I don't like it !:thumbdown:

Other flags in the pipeline are if, or when, the UK splits up (e.g., if Scotland leaves in 2010). The remaining nations of the UK (the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland) will have to redesign their national Union Flag (e.g., Image 2 has been suggested), but that of the Kingdom of Scotland will remain the same (Image 3).

What ya'll think?

MissDemeanor Jul 19th 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Psychedelic new UK flag ??

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6588081)
An English flag fanatic, John Yates of Milton Keynes, has redesigned the Union Flag to take proper account of Wales and which he presented at the Welsh Eisteddfod last week. Image 1 shows the redesign...but you might need your sunglasses..its almost psychedelic ! Anyway, I don't like it !:thumbdown:

Other flags in the pipeline are if, or when, the UK splits up (e.g., if Scotland leaves in 2010). The remaining nations of the UK (the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland) will have to redesign their national Union Flag (e.g., Image 2 has been suggested), but that of the Kingdom of Scotland will remain the same (Image 3).

What ya'll think?

That it is a disgace....our nations flag should not be messed with.
...the next thing will be a complete re-design to include all the other countries..incase we offend someone.:frown:

Eva Jul 19th 2008 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6588081)

What ya'll think?

Image 1.

That's tastless and should come with a warning for Epilepsy sufferers.
Jeez Chris 69,can I borrow your shades?

Madam Medusa Jul 19th 2008 1:19 pm

like the second one with the welsh dragon...the first is dreadful, and i can't see how that reflects wales...what a load of bollox...

MM, xx

MacScot Jul 19th 2008 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6588226)
like the second one with the welsh dragon...the first is dreadful, and i can't see how that reflects wales...what a load of bollox...

MM, xx

Apparently, he gets the yellow and black from a Welsh flag (? i have never heard of it), which depicts a yellow cross (like St George's Cross orientation) on a black background. I always thought it was the red dragon on a green and white background.

Madam Medusa Jul 19th 2008 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6588277)
Apparently, he gets the yellow and black from a Welsh flag (? i have never heard of it), which depicts a yellow cross (like St George's Cross orientation) on a black background. I always thought it was the red dragon on a green and white background.

oh dear, i always thought it was the welsh dragon too...will ask my parents and see whether they know...whatever, it's shite!!!!

MM, xx

The Dean Jul 19th 2008 2:14 pm

1 Attachment(s)
How's this for a radical suggestion?

The Dean Jul 19th 2008 2:18 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Or this one?

MacScot Jul 19th 2008 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6588396)
Or this one?

Dutch?? :confused:

Eva Jul 19th 2008 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6588277)

Borrowing Syb's anorak...........didn't they talk of a battle in Arthur & the Knights involving the Celtic people and their Red Dragon standard?
Red Dragon's been around since ancient times well at least as long as the Dean and Buzy.

You'd think s'one with a name like Yates living in a town called Milton(Keynes) would be much more creative-that first one is awful

Inselaffen Jul 19th 2008 2:39 pm

suppose it would put an end to the BNP song about there being no black in the union jack!

the black flag with the yellow cross is the flag of St David.

MacScot Jul 19th 2008 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6588444)
...the black flag with the yellow cross is the flag of St David.

Well, I never knew that. Seeing the Union Flag is made up of patron saints flags..it would be difficult to include St David's cross and background as it overlaps directly with the English flag...guess who got their own way !!;)

Inselaffen Jul 19th 2008 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6588576)
Well, I never knew that. Seeing the Union Flag is made up of patron saints flags..it would be difficult to include St David's cross and background as it overlaps directly with the English flag...guess who got their own way !!;)

its because it was the flags of the United Kingdoms.
Wales wasn't a kingdom

MissDemeanor Jul 19th 2008 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6588594)
its because it was the flags of the United Kingdoms.
Wales wasn't a kingdom

maybe they should just use those lovely shorts of yours spidey!

Inselaffen Jul 19th 2008 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 6588595)
maybe they should just use those lovely shorts of yours spidey!

they havn't earned such an honour