Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Predictions - Champions League Final.

Predictions - Champions League Final.

Old May 28th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Predictions - Champions League Final.

I predict that a bunch of overpaid young men will prance around for 90 minutes (or more), falling over a lot and rolling around on the ground for no apparent reason and shouting obscenities at a man in black that should be treated with a little bit more respect.

Oh, and maybe the ball might go into the net at one or both ends.
Old May 28th 2011, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam

Barca 3
Man U 1
I thank you, I'm here all week. Anyone want me to pick their Lottery Numbers?

All credit to Barcelona, they were superb and played ManYoo off the park. Simply brilliant performance , a credit to passing football and an absolute pleasure and privilege to watch, well done.
Old May 28th 2011, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

All credit to Barcelona, they were superb and played ManYoo off the park. Simply brilliant performance , a credit to passing football and an absolute pleasure and privilege to watch, well done.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, although I just received a memo from the "Harsh And Rather Blunt Assessment Department" who think Van der Sar might have done better with at least two of the goals.............
Old May 29th 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Agreed, although I just received a memo from the "Harsh And Rather Blunt Assessment Department" who think Van der Sar might have done better with at least two of the goals.............
Definitely would be disappointed with the second - Messi's goal - it was pretty central really, and the two centre halves just stood their and let him run at them. First one was a bit tricky, looked a soft finish, but EVdS was wrong footed . Third was quality finish. In the words of Andy Gray "Two 'keepers wouldn't have kept that out".
Old May 29th 2011, 4:27 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

United didn't deserve to score (Giggs was well off-side during the build-up) and how did Valencia get away with six fouls on Messi before he eventually got booked near the end? 5-0 would have been a better reflection of their dominance. About 20-2 in chances I reckon. United were poor.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lionheart
United didn't deserve to score (Giggs was well off-side during the build-up) and how did Valencia get away with six fouls on Messi before he eventually got booked near the end? 5-0 would have been a better reflection of their dominance. About 20-2 in chances I reckon. United were poor.
Disagree. They deserved to score as it was a well crafted opening and a very good finish. Felt sorry for the lad up front Hernandez, didn't get a sniff all night. Valencia had a nightmare, agreed - he should have been booked a lot earlier. Can't think of many Man U players coming off the park thinking they had done themselves justice. Carrick was poor once again.

As the saying goes, you only play as well as the opposition allow you to. Didn't think Messi was all that special last night but Iniesta and Xavi in the middle were both superb.Totally dominated the game. Yes agreed, the score cold have been a lot worse and not undeserved.
Old May 29th 2011, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

It was a pleasure to watch Barcelona last night . I was expecting a bit more from Utd though , i think Fergie needs an overhaul in midfield though , Giggs and Carrick were passengers last night and were chasing shadows , Giggs did look like a player that had been stuck up Imogen Thomas for 6 months.

I'm surprised he didn't haul Valencia off after 20 mins , the boy was totally lost on that right hand side and was lucky to stay on the pitch and no Berbatov not even on the bench , at least he keeps the ball better .

A bad night for Fergie , Barcelona were brilliant but Utd didn't do themselves justice again , i suspect they'll be a big clear out in the summer as Old Purple Nose will be raging this morning.
Old May 29th 2011, 7:24 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Disagree. They deserved to score as it was a well crafted opening and a very good finish. Felt sorry for the lad up front Hernandez, didn't get a sniff all night. Valencia had a nightmare, agreed - he should have been booked a lot earlier. Can't think of many Man U players coming off the park thinking they had done themselves justice. Carrick was poor once again.

As the saying goes, you only play as well as the opposition allow you to. Didn't think Messi was all that special last night but Iniesta and Xavi in the middle were both superb.Totally dominated the game. Yes agreed, the score cold have been a lot worse and not undeserved.
I agree with that. United knew their only chance was to take advantage of the few chances they got, and the goal was well taken. Giggs wasn't exactly miles offside, and anyway the linesman let it slide so all fair.

Valencia is a good player with an awful habit of playing dirty when he's out of his depth. He was very lucky not to get carded earlier. To be fair I think the referee was holding back a little bit to avoid having to send anyone off. The only United players who can hold their heads high were Van der Sar and Rooney (I'm willing to overlook his blatant dive trying towards the end).

The thing is that Messi doesn't need to have a brilliant game every time as the other teams are so scared of him that he gets more than his share of attention by the defenders which in turn opens up opportunities for the other Barca players.

I think Ferguson was quite naive in how he set up his team. Yes it wouldn't have been pretty, but history has proved that the best way to give yourself a chance of beating Barcelona is to stifle their play and frustrate them into making mistakes (and then of course capitalising on those mistakes)...
Old May 29th 2011, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It was a pleasure to watch Barcelona last night . I was expecting a bit more from Utd though , i think Fergie needs an overhaul in midfield though , Giggs and Carrick were passengers last night and were chasing shadows , Giggs did look like a player that had been stuck up Imogen Thomas for 6 months.

I'm surprised he didn't haul Valencia off after 20 mins , the boy was totally lost on that right hand side and was lucky to stay on the pitch and no Berbatov not even on the bench , at least he keeps the ball better .

A bad night for Fergie , Barcelona were brilliant but Utd didn't do themselves justice again , i suspect they'll be a big clear out in the summer as Old Purple Nose will be raging this morning.
Clear-out? Only if he thinks he can get better alternatives, surely?

He said last night that Barcelona were the best side MU had ever faced, so unless he can attract the sort of players who would get into the Barcelona team, he's wasting his time.

True, there are many better alternatives than an ageing Giggs, an ageing Scholes and a never-very-good-in-the-first-place Carrick. A fully-fit Hargreaves would have given that midfield more shape and structure, but one man wouldn't have changed last night's overall result.

Defensively, MU have been exposed too - Vidic was good in parts, but Ferdinand is (was?) never going to be the sort of player who would stop what he had to face last night.

And were Ferguson's own limitations revealed last night? At no time during those 90 minutes did I ever have the sense that MU were driven by a great tactical brain...........

Last edited by The Dean; May 29th 2011 at 7:30 am. Reason: t
Old May 29th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

It's a real balancing act - no point having a clear out or bringing in new players. It's about knowing the style of football you want to play and then ensuring you have players who can play to that style.

Barca showed they have the players who play that type of football very well. In the early 90's Man U played 4-4-2 to perfection, they were fantastic at it. But it didn't work in Europe. In recent years they have adopted a more European 'playing away from home' style with a lone striker and beefing up the midfield.

The closest a British team have got to Barca is the passing style that Arsenal play - but they haven't quite got it right yet.

The passing style of Barca means the right players have to be brought / developed to in fit in around the system. No point just spending a fortune buying big name Charlies, if you don't know what it is you're trying to build.

Did I hear right that Man U were letting Hargreaves go?
Old May 29th 2011, 8:33 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll take the lottery numbers thanks!

United just outclassed, but no complaints. They just had so little possession, hard to argue against Ferguson's managerial record but why not start Nani instead of Valentia. Also VDS might have done better for the second goal.

Still no way united deserved to win.

Edit to say Hargreaves is leaving/retiring this year, not being offered a new contract

Last edited by weasel central; May 29th 2011 at 8:35 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 9:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

How Utd can start Carrick against Iniest / Xavi midfield pairing is beyond me. The bloke is hopeless.

Utd are the most average team to win a PL title, best of a bad bunch.

As it's been said, Giggs looked ropey, Valencia was poor and Chicharito spent the entire evening offside.

Barca were fantastic.

Best bit is seeing SAF taking a big fat slice of humble pie...nothing less than he deserves.
Old May 29th 2011, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Clear-out? Only if he thinks he can get better alternatives, surely?

He said last night that Barcelona were the best side MU had ever faced, so unless he can attract the sort of players who would get into the Barcelona team, he's wasting his time.

True, there are many better alternatives than an ageing Giggs, an ageing Scholes and a never-very-good-in-the-first-place Carrick. A fully-fit Hargreaves would have given that midfield more shape and structure, but one man wouldn't have changed last night's overall result.

Defensively, MU have been exposed too - Vidic was good in parts, but Ferdinand is (was?) never going to be the sort of player who would stop what he had to face last night.

And were Ferguson's own limitations revealed last night? At no time during those 90 minutes did I ever have the sense that MU were driven by a great tactical brain...........

He should go for Wesley Schneider and Auguero
Old May 29th 2011, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
How Utd can start Carrick against Iniest / Xavi midfield pairing is beyond me. The bloke is hopeless.

Utd are the most average team to win a PL title, best of a bad bunch.

As it's been said, Giggs looked ropey, Valencia was poor and Chicharito spent the entire evening offside.

Barca were fantastic.

Best bit is seeing SAF taking a big fat slice of humble pie...nothing less than he deserves.
He'e won 34 bits of silverware at Utd , humble pie was off the menu a while ago mate , Best British manager they'll ever be , like him or loathe him he's the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.