British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Personal commentary posts moved from "Alcohol to Dry Country" thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/personal-commentary-posts-moved-alcohol-dry-country-thread-820367/)

Meow Jan 6th 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Personal commentary posts moved from "Alcohol to Dry Country" thread

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 11065284)
Thank you for the insight meow! にゃ (that means meow in Japanese :) )

I think it'd be fascinating to go visit, though scary too with the horror stories you hear. And it's far from just US media, frankly, I rarely read US media since most of it is uneducated trash. My main news source is BBC News, followed by The Register.

What are you scared of? :confused: Camels?

The Mutawa are in Saudi and you can't generally go there on holiday - as if you'd want to. Places like the UAE are major tourist destinations and in Dubai Emiratis make up just 15% of the total population

Markie Jan 6th 2014 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11065332)
What are you scared of? :confused: Camels?

The Mutawa are in Saudi and you can't generally go there on holiday - as if you'd want to. Places like the UAE are major tourist destinations and in Dubai Emiratis make up just 15% of the total population

Arrest for drinking something in public on Ramadan. Getting profiled as gay at the airport (I'm not even but I look the part even when I try not to) and denied entry. Things like that.

Meow Jan 6th 2014 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 11065333)
Arrest for drinking something in public on Ramadan. Getting profiled as gay at the airport (I'm not even but I look the part even when I try not to) and denied entry. Things like that.

Then don't drink in public during Ramadan.

I have never heard of anyone being 'profiled as gay at the airport'. There are loads of gay people here, but they simply live their lives without making a deal of it. It's not really an issue unless you make it one. Heavens - the likes of Elton John and Boy George come here to perform and no one cares.

As for 'looking gay' - that sounds like you have a problem with it.

Markie Jan 6th 2014 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11065338)
Then don't drink in public during Ramadan.

I have never heard of anyone being 'profiled as gay at the airport'. There are loads of gay people here, but they simply live their lives without making a deal of it. It's not really an issue unless you make it one. Heavens - the likes of Elton John and Boy George come here to perform and no one cares.

As for 'looking gay' - that sounds like you have a problem with it.

No, I'm basing it on fear of failing this test if it's been introduced for tourists by the time I go visit. Who knows what questions they'll ask and what the "straight" answers will be? BTW, I know the Daily Mail is trash but I can't find another source for this other than the NY Daily News (which is similar trash):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-country.html

mikewot Jan 6th 2014 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 11065333)
Getting profiled as gay at the airport (I'm not even but I look the part even when I try not to) and denied entry.

Most Lebanese men would be denied entry if that was the case :D Besides which male homosexuality is rife out here, boys for pleasure, women for duty and you're not considered gay unless you're the receiver ;)

Markie Jan 6th 2014 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11065344)
Most Lebanese men would be denied entry if that was the case :D Besides which male homosexuality is rife out here, boys for pleasure, women for duty and you're not considered gay unless you're the receiver ;)

Glad to hear it's not the situation one could get the impression of from reading the news! (or at least, the trash news :) )

mikewot Jan 6th 2014 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 11065342)
No, I'm basing it on fear of failing this test

We already had a thread on this utter tripe. What test can distinguish gay men? There was a very intrusive test conducted on a very limited number of participants, I think it was in Holland but I can't be fagged to search, and it was proven ineffective.

Markie Jan 6th 2014 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11065350)
We already had a thread on this utter tripe. What test can distinguish gay men? There was a very intrusive test conducted on a very limited number of participants, I think it was in Holland but I can't be fagged to search, and it was proven ineffective.

Nothing. I'd guess for an airport test a short quiz to make sure one's views are appropriately straight or something.

mikewot Jan 6th 2014 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 11065351)
Nothing. I'd guess for an airport test a short quiz to make sure one's views are appropriately straight or something.

OMG! You have got to kidding. 28% of Dubai's GDP comes from tourists and they're investing staggering sums of money to increase that. There is no way they'd ever think of introducing such a stupid idea, even in KSA!

Markie Jan 6th 2014 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11065355)
OMG! You have got to kidding. 28% of Dubai's GDP comes from tourists and they're investing staggering sums of money to increase that. There is no way they'd ever think of introducing such a stupid idea, even in KSA!

That's great to hear!

Meow Jan 6th 2014 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 11065342)
No, I'm basing it on fear of failing this test if it's been introduced for tourists by the time I go visit. Who knows what questions they'll ask and what the "straight" answers will be? BTW, I know the Daily Mail is trash but I can't find another source for this other than the NY Daily News (which is similar trash):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-country.html

NEVER EVER believe anything you read in that nasty rag. It hates everyone and everything.

This 'story' was doing the rounds a while ago and everyone just fell about laughing. It's a load of nonsense. The rule for everyone is no PDAs and frankly that's no bad thing.

Markie Jan 6th 2014 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11065360)
NEVER EVER believe anything you read in that nasty rag. It hates everyone and everything.

This 'story' was doing the rounds a while ago and everyone just fell about laughing. It's a load of nonsense. The rule for everyone is no PDAs and frankly that's no bad thing.

Fair, but I think my BFF would get arrested in two seconds if I brought her and her girlfriend with me. OMG, those two know NO limits in public. It's funny. And cute :)

mikewot Jan 6th 2014 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 11065363)
Fair, but I think my BFF would get arrested in two seconds if I brought her and her girlfriend with me.

Does she look like Mata Hari?

Meow Jan 6th 2014 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Markie (Post 11065363)
Fair, but I think my BFF would get arrested in two seconds if I brought her and her girlfriend with me. OMG, those two know NO limits in public. It's funny. And cute :)

If they have no limits in public then it's probably time they grew up and learned how to behave properly.

Consenting adults can do anything they like in private, but consideration for others, especially in public, is part of being part of society. These aren't considerations for the ME, but for anywhere.

Irishbeekeeper Jan 6th 2014 1:34 pm

*sigh*