British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Personal commentary posts moved from "Alcohol to Dry Country" thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/personal-commentary-posts-moved-alcohol-dry-country-thread-820367/)

Markie Jan 4th 2014 11:10 am

Personal commentary posts moved from "Alcohol to Dry Country" thread
 

Originally Posted by lostinthedust (Post 11062340)
An acquaintance in Riyadh brought an empty bottle in, a pretty one to use as a decoration. It was found, confiscated, and her bags were then subsequently searched everytime she entered the country.

Yikes, I just don't understand what compels people to move to some of these countries where all the freedoms and liberties they've enjoyed their whole lives are non-existent.

Frankly, it makes even less sense to me than people who do the opposite - come to the western world and make loud declarations about their intent to see "the end of freedom and democracy" within 20 years.

Is there something I'm missing that any amount of money would be worth it to move away from a place that shares your values and go to somewhere where your values are not respected by anyone around you?

OleJanx Jan 4th 2014 11:12 am

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11062401)
Yikes, I just don't understand what compels people to move to some of these countries where all the freedoms and liberties they've enjoyed their whole lives are non-existent.

Money, pure and simple.

Markie Jan 4th 2014 11:16 am

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11062405)
Money, pure and simple.

Oh no, I understand there's money in it. But is it strange that I like to be able to go out to a club, with my lesbian friends even, and ENJOY my night out (I don't even drink - don't really like the stuff, but definitely am around alcohol) far more than I could care about money?

It just seems to me that without the liberty to enjoy your lifestyle that you love, all the money in the world has very little purpose.

OleJanx Jan 4th 2014 11:24 am

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11062412)
Oh no, I understand there's money in it. But is it strange that I like to be able to go out to a club, with my lesbian friends even, and ENJOY my night out (I don't even drink - don't really like the stuff, but definitely am around alcohol) far more than I could care about money?

It just seems to me that without the liberty to enjoy your lifestyle that you love, all the money in the world has very little purpose.

It's the art of detatching yourself from normality and putting up with shit for a few years so that when you return to reality, you have enough money to really enjoy yourself. It's almost a kind of prostitution. Sad, ain't it?

Markie Jan 4th 2014 11:28 am

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11062419)
It's the art of detatching yourself from normality and putting up with shit for a few years so that when you return to reality, you have enough money to really enjoy yourself. It's almost a kind of prostitution. Sad, ain't it?

I dunno, life's short, I don't see the value in spending a few years away from having fun and enjoying life. I may not be here tomorrow. Maybe I'm strange? I don't know, LOL.

OleJanx Jan 4th 2014 11:33 am

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11062428)
I dunno, life's short, I don't see the value in spending a few years away from having fun and enjoying life. I may not be here tomorrow. Maybe I'm strange? I don't know, LOL.

It takes a certain mind set to stay in the middle east. Some last 2 weeks, others two decades. I first went out in 1982. Does it affect people? Hell yes! And not normally for the better, either.

Markie Jan 4th 2014 11:47 am

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11062433)
It takes a certain mind set to stay in the middle east. Some last 2 weeks, others two decades. I first went out in 1982. Does it affect people? Hell yes! And not normally for the better, either.

Frankly, I'm smart enough not to even go on holiday. I'd probably say something to get me arrested, jailed, and (if I'm lucky) deported. I don't know what though, because I try to be careful and respectful. But I'd probably look the wrong direction when it was time to pray to Mecca or something. Or just, you know, not pray to Mecca because I'm not religious. Or say something meant totally innocent but taken as inflammatory.

No thanks, I'll stay in the land of freedom and democracy and the right to self-expression. And to have a drink with some LGBT friends, and dance.

P.S. I'm not trying to come across as a jerk or anything, I genuinely find it very interesting what motivates people to go to places where the freedoms they've enjoyed their whole lives are taken away.

OleJanx Jan 4th 2014 12:09 pm

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 
Hmmm...:popcorn:

Markie Jan 4th 2014 12:21 pm

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 11062476)
Hmmm...:popcorn:

Hmmm? Any thoughts? What motivated you to go? What have been the GOOD parts of the experience?

Millhouse Jan 4th 2014 1:54 pm

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

P.S. I'm not trying to come across as a jerk or anything, I genuinely find it very interesting what motivates people to go to places where the freedoms they've enjoyed their whole lives are taken away.
brilliant. I'm guessing you are american and your knowledge on the Middle East has been derived from Fox news.

Markie Jan 4th 2014 2:01 pm

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11062610)
brilliant. I'm guessing you are american and your knowledge on the Middle East has been derived from Fox news.

Deleted since there's no point in arguing, we all have different reasons for the life choices we make. I like the freedom to go clubbing more than money, simple as that. Nothing political or anything :) Oh, and you're VERY wrong about FOX News - my grandmother watches it and it's just awful trash.

My opinion is based on the laws of the UAE, nothing more and nothing less - the activities I consider most beneficial to my health and happiness are outlawed, and I find it interesting how people choose to live under those restrictions and what motivates them, as well as what good they find in it. That's it. So please don't make assumptions, if we can all understand each other the world will slowly become a better place for all :)

Millhouse Jan 4th 2014 2:19 pm

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11062620)
Deleted since there's no point in arguing, we all have different reasons for the life choices we make. I like the freedom to go clubbing more than money, simple as that. Nothing political or anything :) Oh, and you're VERY wrong about FOX News - my grandmother watches it and it's just awful trash.

My opinion is based on the laws of the UAE, nothing more and nothing less - the activities I consider most beneficial to my health and happiness are outlawed, and I find it interesting how people choose to live under those restrictions and what motivates them, as well as what good they find in it. That's it. So please don't make assumptions, if we can all understand each other the world will slowly become a better place for all :)

Well, I was half right :)

But, this is the point. The UAE (and parts of Qatar) is full of bars, nightclubs and any smut that you could wish for (even Riyadh isn't as bad as you may think).

I spend around 4 weeks a year in DC and I personally feel more free here than when in the states. When it's not your country you suddenly really don't care about political freedoms or freedom of speech - at least, that's my experience.

Markie Jan 4th 2014 2:20 pm

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11062634)
Well, I was half right :)

But, this is the point. The UAE is full of bars, nightclubs and any smut that you could wish for (even Riyadh isn't as bad as you may think).

I spend around 4 weeks a year in DC and I personally feel more free here than when in the states. When it's not your country you suddenly really don't care about political freedoms or freedom of speech - at least, that's my experience.

Oh, I know they have clubs for non-Muslims. But do they have clubs I could hang out with my lesbian friends at and have a great time? Exactly.

Millhouse Jan 4th 2014 2:40 pm

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11062639)
Oh, I know they have clubs for non-Muslims. But do they have clubs I could hang out with my lesbian friends at and have a great time? Exactly.

I am neither gay nor muslim so it doesn't affect me. This is the mindset you acquire here.

But, the gay scene here is massive. It's a bit more underground. Probably more men than women.

I'm not trying to defend - just trying to educate.

flares Jan 4th 2014 2:40 pm

Re: alcohol to "dry" country
 

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11062639)
Oh, I know they have clubs for non-Muslims. But do they have clubs I could hang out with my lesbian friends at and have a great time? Exactly.

loads a dykes in Riyadh. Nurses most of them


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:17 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.