British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Personal commentary posts moved from "Alcohol to Dry Country" thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/personal-commentary-posts-moved-alcohol-dry-country-thread-820367/)

Markie Jan 4th 2014 6:11 pm

Re: Personal commentary posts moved from "Alcohol to Dry Country" thread

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11062953)
Hi Mark,

What motivates people is different at different times in their lives, 10 years ago I would have had zero interest in being based in the UAE, bottom line -I am here for the money, riding out an ongoing recession where job prospects in the UK and Europe are few and far between. There are things I love about being here and things I don't, I have travelled more since being here than I have in my entire life and love being able to do so, It really is a great location for travelling to places that from the UK would be exceptional holidays.
The market is strong here, I work for a retailer, which in the Uk the majority of retailers are struggling and it is creatively boring to be based working for a struggling retail market, whereas in the Middle East the market is strong and gives you room to spread your wings. My job satisfaction is very important to em, and I get more opportunities here than I would being based anywhere else at the moment.
When I moved out here just over 4 years I had preconceptions of what it would be like and to be honest I was wrong about pretty much most of it. Yes you can't do certain things but on the whole it really is a pleasant enough place to be. I have lots of good friends here, some straight some gay, they also have a good life here, some single some married, some living in sin, some in gay relationships, yes gay relationships have to be discrete as do I being a single female where relationships outside of marriage are also illegal. But everything goes on but is generally discrete. The money being tax free is my main reason to be here, and I am saving for my long term security- something I value more than partying at this point in my life, but you can also enjoy yourself, it isn't a prison. If you want to stuff a kilo of coke up your nose and have gangbangs on the beach it's probably not the best place ( although if you know the right people it could probably be arranged and i know of some stories not that far from this), but you can have a nice lifestyle here.I came here with the attitude, if I hate it I can go home, I'm still here so it really isn't as bad as you imagine, many see it as offering more than what they have had from their home countries.

Obviously at this time in your life you can not imagine yourself coming here, but the one thing i have learnt is never say never.

Thank you very much :) Someone who answered what I was asking rather than calling me a troll or saying I didn't understand. Obviously I didn't say never, because if I'd said never I wouldn't have asked!

I find it interesting how those of you living there say so much goes on, yet you hear these stories in western newspapers about people being arrested for seemingly tiny things like eating food during Ramadan. It makes me wonder how the people who got arrested acted. Like, did they really just act innocently? Or did they flaunt their disobedience and have a bad attitude when approached?

It's interesting stuff to me.

kittycat1 Jan 4th 2014 6:19 pm

There are always horror stories, I have heard of some real clangers, some is people acting like twats and showing no respect for where they are, some is just being unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time. I could say the same about London. And of course the press love to jump on a Dubai trainwreck story, lets say how awful it is to live in a muslim country, then show pictures of some celebrity frolicking on the beach with their new lover. The middle east is a place of contradictions. keep your nose clean and you'll be fine, give the finger to a local or get drunk and give abuse to staff, or take drugs in a country with zero tolerance and you're asking for trouble. Get an alcohol license, go out, get drunk, have a good time, and go home and you are generally fine. Don't put yourself in stupid situations is the best advice I would give. If you're in a row, walk away, if you're with someone behaving like a dick- walk away. It really is quite simple.

Markie Jan 4th 2014 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11062964)
There are always horror stories, I have heard of some real clangers, some is people acting like twats and showing no respect for where they are, some is just being unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time. I could say the same about London. And of course the press love to jump on a Dubai trainwreck story, lets say how awful it is to live in a muslim country, then show pictures of some celebrity frolicking on the beach with their new lover. The middle east is a place of contradictions. keep your nose clean and you'll be fine, give the finger to a local or get drunk and give abuse to staff, or take drugs in a country with zero tolerance and you're asking for trouble. Get an alcohol license, go out, get drunk, have a good time, and go home and you are generally fine. Don't put yourself in stupid situations is the best advice I would give. If you're in a row, walk away, if you're with someone behaving like a dick- walk away. It really is quite simple.

Makes sense. Thank you very much for your kind replies :) Maybe some day I will go visit. My biggest fear is that I would be picked out as "gay" (I'm actually not, but I look the part - I meet most peoples stereotypes) and banned entry, or worse, upon arrival.

But getting a nice tan in that gorgeous weather sure is appealing :)

OleJanx Jan 4th 2014 6:26 pm

Hey, Markuhde? Found one of your 8mm. home movies on YouTube...

kittycat1 Jan 4th 2014 6:27 pm

I have friends here who set my gaydar off at a thousand paces- they wear tight trousers and everything! honestly you'd be fine, you might eve get propositioned by a local guy....

Markie Jan 4th 2014 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11062978)
I have friends here who set my gaydar off at a thousand paces- they wear tight trousers and everything! honestly you'd be fine, you might eve get propositioned by a local guy....

That's me, skinny jeans, eyeliner, glitter, hangs out with lesbian girls mostly. Yup. Obviously, I'd be smart and try not to look the part in the UAE, LOL.

*and I wonder why I can't get a girlfriend...*

Autonomy Jan 4th 2014 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11062953)
Hi Mark,

What motivates people is different at different times in their lives, 10 years ago I would have had zero interest in being based in the UAE, bottom line -I am here for the money, riding out an ongoing recession where job prospects in the UK and Europe are few and far between. There are things I love about being here and things I don't, I have travelled more since being here than I have in my entire life and love being able to do so, It really is a great location for travelling to places that from the UK would be exceptional holidays.
The market is strong here, I work for a retailer, which in the Uk the majority of retailers are struggling and it is creatively boring to be based working for a struggling retail market, whereas in the Middle East the market is strong and gives you room to spread your wings. My job satisfaction is very important to em, and I get more opportunities here than I would being based anywhere else at the moment.
When I moved out here just over 4 years I had preconceptions of what it would be like and to be honest I was wrong about pretty much most of it. Yes you can't do certain things but on the whole it really is a pleasant enough place to be. I have lots of good friends here, some straight some gay, they also have a good life here, some single some married, some living in sin, some in gay relationships, yes gay relationships have to be discrete as do I being a single female where relationships outside of marriage are also illegal. But everything goes on but is generally discrete. The money being tax free is my main reason to be here, and I am saving for my long term security- something I value more than partying at this point in my life, but you can also enjoy yourself, it isn't a prison. If you want to stuff a kilo of coke up your nose and have gangbangs on the beach it's probably not the best place ( although if you know the right people it could probably be arranged and i know of some stories not that far from this), but you can have a nice lifestyle here.I came here with the attitude, if I hate it I can go home, I'm still here so it really isn't as bad as you imagine, many see it as offering more than what they have had from their home countries.

Obviously at this time in your life you can not imagine yourself coming here, but the one thing i have learnt is never say never.

:goodpost:

I guess all I would like to do is echo some comments above.

It's really not what it appears to be in the press on occasion. Stay within limits (not even the letter of the law per se, but reasonably) and you are fine.

Same as many countries around the world.

It is definitely not Kansas, Middlesbourgh or Limerick... but maybe that's for the better eh? ;)

The travel possibilities are great from here - and a lot of countries around the world (not a few, but a lot) have tough views on certain "western liberties"...

I come from a very liberal background and work history and have been here 10 years and am happy to stay more.

If you are so genuially interested why not hop over here for a visit, see things for yourself - I think in someways you'll be surprised...

Markie Jan 4th 2014 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 11063016)
If you are so genuially interested why not hop over here for a visit, see things for yourself - I think in someways you'll be surprised...

Maybe I will, got any suggestions where to go? In the middle east, Tel Aviv is one place that interests me, and Dubai is another. I've heard Tel Aviv can actually, shockingly to me, be a bit of a party city if you avoid the religious parts.

What are the best (best as in inexpensive) ways to get there from London? I'm making an assumption it's much cheaper to fly from London than from Seattle...

Autonomy Jan 4th 2014 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11063020)
Maybe I will, got any suggestions where to go? In the middle east, Tel Aviv is one place that interests me, and Dubai is another. I've heard Tel Aviv can actually, shockingly to me, be a bit of a party city if you avoid the religious parts.

What are the best (best as in inexpensive) ways to get there from London? I'm making an assumption it's much cheaper to fly from London than from Seattle...

Oh you are going to love this one... if you want to see much of the rest of the Middle East - don't get an Israeli stamp in your passport...

PS - Before you totally freak out - there are ways round this...

PPS Have a look at Beirut as a brilliant party city also (ok, there have been several bombs and it could be on the brink of war again, but hey - it's a f**king great party city - really (a "safe" example - http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/09/wo...party-capital/ )

Markie Jan 4th 2014 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 11063039)
Oh you are going to love this one... if you want to see much of the rest of the Middle East - don't get an Israeli stamp in your passport...

PS - Before you totally freak out - there are ways round this...

PPS Have a look at Beirut as a brilliant party city also (ok, there have been several bombs and it could be on the brink of war again, but hey - it's a f**king great party city - really (a "safe" example - http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/09/wo...party-capital/ )

Isn't the idea to get an Israeli stamp in my US passport and the rest in my British passport?

And I'll have to look into and learn more about Beirut! Thanks!

Kix Jan 4th 2014 8:15 pm

I'm still wondering where these "Strict alcohol laws in the UAE" are?

There's a bottle shop 5 minutes walk from my apartment. I've never shown or been asked for a license yet (as an example).

As for people (non muslims) being prosecuted for eating in a public place during Ramadan, not to my knowledge, not in the last 9 years at least.

Markie Jan 4th 2014 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11063078)
I'm still wondering where these "Strict alcohol laws in the UAE" are?

There's a bottle shop 5 minutes walk from my apartment. I've never shown or been asked for a license yet (as an example).

As for people (non muslims) being prosecuted for eating in a public place during Ramadan, not to my knowledge, not in the last 9 years at least.

Thus why I'm asking. The story of the ladies being prosecuted for drinking orange juice in public during Ramadan I linked above.

I know the laws and have read them, but I don't, obviously, know what it's really like on the ground - thus why I'm asking.

And if alcohol is sold so openly, why would it have been an issue for the OP of the original thread to bring a bottle in? It seems to me like there's a lot of inconsistency in enforcement from what I've read.

To everyone who's provided information, especially without judgement of intent, thank you - I find the culture fascinating!

Kix Jan 4th 2014 8:54 pm

The guy on the other thread was talking about a totally different country.

You do know Qatar is a different Country (and as such has it's own laws) to the UAE don't you.

Oh, and don't believe everything you read in the press.

Markie Jan 4th 2014 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 11063099)
The guy on the other thread was talking about a totally different country.

You do know Qatar is a different Country (and as such has it's own laws) to the UAE don't you.

Oh, and don't believe everything you read in the press.

I thought they both implemented the same law - Sharia - ran by the Muslim (Sunni Islam I believe? one of the Muslim religions I think) religion, and not by their own governments? Am I wrong in this understanding?

P.S. Obviously I'm not an idiot and I know that each country carries out the PUNISHMENTS, but I thought the Imams actually did the sentencing so that law should be very similar between Sharia countries.

Yoohoo Jan 5th 2014 12:48 am

Re: alcohol to "dry" country

Originally Posted by markuhde (Post 11062639)
Oh, I know they have clubs for non-Muslims. But do they have clubs I could hang out with my lesbian friends at and have a great time? Exactly.

They do if you don't need to identify yourself and whatever it is you need to do for fun by the label you want to put on your sexuality and/or your religion.

Now, are you really, genuinely interested in what we have to say, or do you just want to shove your opinions down our throats?