Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Ok so the big one - tell me about Ramadam...

Wikiposts

Ok so the big one - tell me about Ramadam...

Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok so the big one - tell me about Ramadam...

... yep - against the law to eat or dink in public between sunrise and sunset over Ramadan. In the evening, the hotels (and private family homes) do Iftar - which is muslims breaking the fast of the day and is a big excuse to eat as much as you want (its like having Chirstmas dinner every night if you want to...) Many companies have an Iftar for staff (again, akin to the "works Christmas doo") It has been metioned before in previous threads, but there is a mad dash home up to 2 hours or so before Iftar, so avoid travelling during this time if you can. Taxis can also difficult to get during this time. Also Western women are expected to dress a little more modestly...

The first few days you will notice those fasting tend to be grumpy/tired - particularly if they are caffine swilling smokers....
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Simao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really nice

I think you can definetly eat and drink but the good thing is they reduce the working hours. Yours is from 8 to 1??? Mine is 8 to 2 Oh well its better than the whole eight hours. Ofcourse kids can eat, the schools's canteens or whatever are kept open even if in Ramadan. I am not sure about the drinks but normally after 7 P.M everyone go out to eat and smoke shisha . The groceries are opened during the day as well because obviously the fasting people will need to eat also right and even though the resturants open a little bit late at like 3 P.M or something like that they still opened until 5 at the morning.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:15 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/ramadan-in-dubai.php

This might help Spugs.....though it refers 2007...has been updated May 2008
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:16 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dutchie
That is if your Muslim colleague's show up for work.

Dutchie
That might of sounded a bit rude, back then I was the only none Muslim working in the office. I was always politely asked to take over work from others. But after the second week of Ramadan? I was looking at nine empty desks. Basically I kept the office up and running during Ramadan.

Dutchie
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:17 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

there will probably also be an issue of Time Out Dubai with a lot of info about Ramadan nearer the time...
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:22 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

While possibly not regarded as 'eating'...remember not to chew gum during Ramadan daylight hours.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:44 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
ok...it's my 4th Ramadan here....basically things wind down...people work shorter hours, schools start a bit later and finish a bit earlier...
Little kids can still eat and drink...
A lot of the restaurants/coffeeshops are closed during the day, but over the past 2 years there are more and more that open up in areas like DMC...hotels will have a section curtained off for guests...
After sunset, breaking the fast, there is Iftar, when people will eat and drink for the first time that day...
Whether or not you can eat and drink in your office depends a bit on the people around you and if there are people fasting around you...
I'd never eat or drink in public during Ramadan (although I do sometimes have a bottle of water in the car if I am going somewhere 'far away' and sneak a sip when I think no one can see me...)
Generally people are expected to be even more respectful of the rules and regulations....
ok cheers, just wanted the full story.

And I'm guessing I need to go to the beer shop before ramadam?? I'm told they are closed all the way throughout?
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:44 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
ramadans fine. no big deal at all really. BUT only venture onto the roads around sunset if you have a death wish. Fasting does not a good driver make especially when they are in a hurry to get to Iftar

Make the most of it, its a bit like an xmas atmosphere for muslims so shops are open until the wee hours, all the restraunts will have an iftar/suhair buffet etc.

Personally I like ramadan and will probably fast again this year
hmmmm, maybe I will fast as well then.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:48 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
hmmmm, maybe I will fast as well then.
you should, well at least give it a try anyways
Old Jul 26th 2008, 10:56 pm
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

That is if your Muslim colleague's show up for work.

Dutchie

LOL that one made me laugh
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:07 pm

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beard Man
LOL that one made me laugh
Me to... Imagine this five star office, that officially stated to be 100% Muslim managed. And who is sitting there all alone you might wonder. Yes, a Dutch national.

Dutchie
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

the alcohol shops are closed for the duration of ramadan.

best to go to the 'outside dubai' ones 2 weeks before the start of ramadan, as the final few days before closing becomes like a toy shop on xmas eve..
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:18 pm
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Me to... Imagine this five star office, that officially stated to be 100% Muslim managed. And who is sitting there all alone you might wonder. Yes, a Dutch national.

Dutchie

strange that these cases are still happening

i thought this disappeared
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Beard Man
strange that these cases are still happening

i thought this disappeared
Hahaha... Me to, but what the heck. Somebody that pays me a six digit figure in Euro´s might think I´m second hand junk. Let him...

Dutchie
Old Jul 26th 2008, 11:20 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by admon
the alcohol shops are closed for the duration of ramadan.

best to go to the 'outside dubai' ones 2 weeks before the start of ramadan, as the final few days before closing becomes like a toy shop on xmas eve..
yeah I thought as much, I applied for my alcohol licence last week so may have it just in time to grab some beers before ramadam starts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.