Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Aww, cute....

I ain't lookin' to compete with you,
Beat or cheat or mistreat you,
Simplify you, classify you,
Deny, defy or crucify you.
All I really want to do
Is, baby, be friends with you.
have you 2 still not got a room yet?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:13 am
W10

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Irrationality and ignorance is nearly always offensive to the thinking mind.

And I am certain prayers offered to one version of god in the presence of one who believes in another deity is almost always offensive.

N.
The three major monotheistic religions believe in the same person. If the other person has a problem with it then they aren't following their religion properly...

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:11 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
The three major monotheistic religions believe in the same person. If the other person has a problem with it then they aren't following their religion properly...
There are more than three religions in the world and more than three monotheistic beliefs in the world too...we don't know what that old biddy believed in.

Also, the characteristics and definitions of deity, core doctrine and writings in the three Abrahamaic monotheistic beliefs show three different deities regardless of what some of the followers claim.

N.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:36 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Norm_uk;7242099]Yikes you're nearly as pedantic as me QUOTE]

phew a narrow escape on my part then!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:18 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Irrationality and ignorance is nearly always offensive to the thinking mind.

And I am certain prayers offered to one version of god in the presence of one who believes in another deity is almost always offensive.

N.

to opinionated intolerent people perhaps?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:50 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Originally Posted by Eva
to opinionated intolerent people perhaps?
There are a few who may suprise you, but yes...tollerance isn't exactly an attribute of most religious texts.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:56 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
There are a few who may suprise you, but yes...tollerance isn't exactly an attribute of most religious texts.
Oh don't mind me-I just felt like being controversial today.I know it's not like me but life's dull and my work bores me at the mo.

On topic and in reply, course it ain't ergo the War of Religion
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:56 am
W10

Originally Posted by Charismatic
And seemingly neither is it an attribute of athiests either...

So I guess the lesson learned is. We all have to love one another. Twice weekly, wearing protection.

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:31 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

So I guess the lesson learned is. We all have to love one another. Twice weekly, wearing protection.
Maybe but Atheism is a response to the intolerance of religion...and atheists don't have a book telling them to hate theists.

Most theists who are tolerant of others are going against their own beliefs...

N.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 10:35 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Originally Posted by W10
At least not one of those that post on interweb forums about religion. Mind you if you wern't that bothered you'd have little reason to post .
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:20 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Maybe but Atheism is a response to the intolerance of religion.
Sorry Norm but not so for me. I asked some not so silly questions in life (like where we came from, what plausible evidence could find to support the hypothesis that God had ever directly had any hand in creating anything, how valid or non valid the alternative theories are etc.) and then the conclusion came to suggested strongly that it was very unlikely there was a God.

In my view Atheism shouldn't become a crusade against religions but a means for people to live their lives in happiness, free at last from the shackles of ancient scriptures that ask them to perform immoral acts. Most of all though it should be used as a platform to allow people to explore the beauty of our world free to attempt to cessate our endless human curiosity. To explore the love, happiness and companionship we can bring to each other without religious restraint.

I believe over time people will be drawn more and more to this, that they too will want to live their lives without those shackles. It has to be their choice however as no one can ever truely excercise their own judgement through persuasion. Often the shackles they wish to escape will restrain them from living as they would wish, but, truely the place where we all gain the seed of freedom is our minds.

To look back on all of history's wars, it's massacres as a waste of human life isn't a crime or a weakness. Ultimatly the renewed freedom and independance people will gain should bring peace and prosperity. From experience it seems we are habitually a moral people with much in common including our dreams, aspirations, desires etc. The differences that seperate us are much smaller than the commonalities that bind us .

Anyway I've talked too much for now, another drink please .
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:23 pm
W10

You've been reading Nietzsche haven't you

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
You've been reading Nietzsche haven't you
Man, anyone still reading Nietzsche beyond the age of 25 and without sporting marijuana-smoke spectacles is suffering from arrested development, IMHO.... Master of the one-liners, though -

There was only ever 1 christian, and he died on a cross......
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:51 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Man, anyone still reading Nietzsche beyond the age of 25 and without sporting marijuana-smoke spectacles is suffering from arrested development, IMHO.... Master of the one-liners, though -

Jesus,everyone knows that.....Christian Lacroix
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:53 pm
W10

Bison's waiting for the movie...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.