British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Now I'm no fan of religion but.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/now-im-no-fan-religion-but-588648/)

Spugsy Feb 2nd 2009 7:01 am

Now I'm no fan of religion but....

...surely this is just plain ridiculous??

Nurse suspended for prayer offer

Mrs Petrie became a Christian at the age of 10 after the death of her mother

A Christian nurse from Weston-super-Mare has been suspended for offering to pray for a patient's recovery.

Community nurse Caroline Petrie, 45, says she asked an elderly woman patient during a home visit if she wanted her to say a prayer for her.

The patient complained to the health trust about Mrs Petrie who follows the Baptist faith.

She was suspended, without pay, on 17 December and will find out the outcome of her disciplinary meeting next week.

Power of prayer

Mrs Petrie, who carries out home visits in North Somerset, said she had asked the patient if she would like a prayer said for her after she had put dressings on the woman's legs.

The patient, believed to be in her 70s, refused and Mrs Petrie insists that she left the matter alone.

The sick woman contacted the trust about the incident and Mrs Petrie was challenged by her superiors.

We are always keen to be respectful of our patients' views and sensitivity as well as those of our staff

North Somerset Primary Care Trust

Mrs Petrie said: "The woman mentioned it to the sister who did her dressing the following day. She said that she wasn't offended but was concerned that someone else might be.

"I was spoken to by my manager. She said 'I've got a letter in one hand and an incident form in the other. You won't be able to work until we've investigated this incident'."

Mrs Petrie, who qualified as a nurse in 1985, said she became a Christian following the death of her mother.

"My faith got stronger and I realised God was doing amazing things in my life.

"I saw my patients suffering and as I believe in the power of prayer, I began asking them if they wanted me to pray for them. They are absolutely delighted."

A spokesman for North Somerset Primary Care Trust said: "Caroline Petrie has been suspended pending an investigation into the matter.

"She is a bank nurse and has been told we will not be using her in this capacity until the outcome of our investigation is known.

"We always take any concerns raised by our patients most seriously and conscientiously investigate any matter of this nature brought to our attention.

"We are always keen to be respectful of our patients' views and sensitivity as well as those of our staff."

Mrs Petrie says that she has taken advice from the Christian Legal Centre, which aims to protect the religious freedom of people who follow the Christian faith.

Blue Cat Feb 2nd 2009 7:12 am

Re: Now I'm no fan of religion but....

it's just ridiculous Spugsy :(

Spugsy Feb 2nd 2009 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7238659)
it's just ridiculous Spugsy :(

its beyond even that, I mean why would the old bat complain in the first place?

I don't want to go all 'Bison' here but this is why the country is going to the dogs, its just stupid.

Bison Feb 2nd 2009 7:26 am

its beyond even that, I mean why would the old bat complain in the first place?

I don't want to go all 'Bison' here but this is why the country is going to the dogs, its just stupid.
Ahhh the Bison season has begun, I told you Spugs, it's f**ked!

Blue Cat Feb 2nd 2009 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7238693)
Ahhh the Bison season has begun, I told you Spugs, it's f**ked!

I agree but if you say anything people just jump on your back. It is ridiculous.

shiva Feb 2nd 2009 7:50 am

this one does strike me as a bit stupid.
I have no truck with the "bloody foreigners" arguments but i do agree that the UK is ****ed.

HOWEVER

The UK is ****ed simply because the great british public both allowed and were complicit in it becoming ****ed. Over a decade of this ridiculous government (and the one before) both national and local have taken its toll on common sense.
The blame however lies with the public who voted for the government both national and local and then sat back and allowed them to run rampant with policies that were and are insane.

Britain is the worlds best nation for complaining whilst doing sweet **** all about it.

How many people who moan and bemoan did anything about the various policies which annoy them? how many wrote to their MP, went to his office, demanded that questions be asked in parliment. How many went to council meetings and consultations, wrote to the papers, organised demos and protest movements. Or in fact partook of any of their democratically entiled right to complain and protest the actions of our leaders(and i use the word leaders in its lightest sense)

Bugger all thats how many and now the people are reaping what they have sowed and a nation of nimbys awaits any of us mad/committed enough to go home.

I have no sympathy at all for britain or its people as we got exactly what we deserved. Which is a large part of why i left and why i have little intention of returning home any time soon.

TGFKASE Feb 2nd 2009 7:56 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7238750)
this one does strike me as a bit stupid.
I have no truck with the "bloody foreigners" arguments but i do agree that the UK is ****ed.

HOWEVER

The UK is ****ed simply because the great british public both allowed and were complicit in it becoming ****ed. Over a decade of this ridiculous government (and the one before) both national and local have taken its toll on common sense.
The blame however lies with the public who voted for the government both national and local and then sat back and allowed them to run rampant with policies that were and are insane.

Britain is the worlds best nation for complaining whilst doing sweet **** all about it.

How many people who moan and bemoan did anything about the various policies which annoy them? how many wrote to their MP, went to his office, demanded that questions be asked in parliment. How many went to council meetings and consultations, wrote to the papers, organised demos and protest movements. Or in fact partook of any of their democratically entiled right to complain and protest the actions of our leaders(and i use the word leaders in its lightest sense)

Bugger all thats how many and now the people are reaping what they have sowed and a nation of nimbys awaits any of us mad/committed enough to go home.

I have no sympathy at all for britain or its people as we got exactly what we deserved. Which is a large part of why i left and why i have little intention of returning home any time soon.

F**k me, shiva, get off the fence and get someone to pull the splinters outta your a**e.....lol

shiva Feb 2nd 2009 8:05 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7238768)
F**k me, shiva, get off the fence and get someone to pull the splinters outta your a**e.....lol

;)

W10 Feb 2nd 2009 8:07 am

It's mental that someone would complain about being asked if they would like a prayer said for them.

It's hardly offensive is it..

Eva Feb 2nd 2009 8:12 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 7238802)
It's mental that someone would complain about being asked if they would like a prayer said for them.

It's hardly offensive is it..

Exactly my thoughts too.How can someone be offended at that??
I'm all for accountability and taking ownership of one's responsibilities but to
start a complaint process for this is just the fear factor & passing the buck imho .Pathetic.

P.S W10 ..O/T I'm liking my HTC a little more since I had to use the alarm
-its hilarious :D

MataHari Feb 2nd 2009 8:17 am

well, back in Holland we had very nice people living across from us, we always had a little chat over the fence kinda thing...they were very religious and they knew we were not but we never spoke about it...just at Xmas they would give us a card full of religious writing on it and that used to annoy the hell out of me, chuck it straight in the bin...not sure if I would use the word offended but it does come close to it...

Eva Feb 2nd 2009 8:22 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7238845)
well, back in Holland we had very nice people living across from us, we always had a little chat over the fence kinda thing...they were very religious and they knew we were not but we never spoke about it...just at Xmas they would give us a card full of religious writing on it and that used to annoy the hell out of me, chuck it straight in the bin...not sure if I would use the word offended but it does come close to it...

I'm agnostic.
Bible bashers(and Quran) bashers bore me silly. I am not into the greatest PR job in the world one bit but honestly, I don't find it offensive.We are all different though and entitled to our own view.

MataHari Feb 2nd 2009 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7238855)
I'm agnostic.
Bible bashers(and Quran) bashers bore me silly. I am not into the greatest PR job in the world one bit but honestly, I don't find it offensive.We are all different though and entitled to our own view.

i just have a problem when people think because it's something religious, they have a little more right to their views than others...

Grace O Malley Feb 2nd 2009 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7238855)
I'm agnostic.

I hate that nonsense, i swear on the bible, the Koran.... why??

Eva Feb 2nd 2009 8:57 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7238926)
I hate that nonsense, i swear on the bible, the Koran.... why??

Insecurity? Delusion ? Voodoo?