Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Now I'm no fan of religion but....

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:31 pm
W10

Default Re: Now I'm no fan of religion but....

That was directed at the self-confessed athiests on the thread who seem to equate some (presumably) well meaning offer of a prayer to being asked if they'd like a kick in the face.

It's a bit like Richard Dawkins. Come on man. Lose the chip on your shoulder about god. Some people believe...you don't. Great book, interesting read...but lets not get obsessed about it.

Last edited by W10; Feb 2nd 2009 at 2:33 pm.

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. i guess you know your chances too aren't good when your healthcare professional suggests prayer as an option....
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

She should have at least of offered to sacrifice a goat or two..........
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:04 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I would find it annoying if a nurse asked me if she could pray with me and probably bring it up with their superiors if they were pushy otherwise I would simply tell them to keep their primitive beliefs to themselves since if prayer works why doesn't god heal amputees? Suspending someone sounds a bit extreme unless they are pushy.

The fact is that staff members are not there to pray with patients, they are there to provide objective medical care and support. If people want to delude themselves with the supernatural that's there business, and has nothing to do with the staff...so I think the staff member in question deserves a verbal warning and a reminder of what a Hippocratic Oath is...and how it doesn't include invoking the supernatural in order to heal people.

N.
No where in that article does it SAY she prayed WITH them
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:15 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Hmm. i guess you know your chances too aren't good when your healthcare professional suggests prayer as an option....
Hah, that's probably nearer the truth of the matter SYB, may have conjured up the aroma of formaldehyde rathere prematurely for the old dear's liking.
Me thinks there's probably been an element of the professional green eyed monster: Agency versus NHS employee from the one who stuck her in....
Why though does it have to go to a Spanish Inquisition????
What's wrong with 'Oi,Florence stop with the Billy Grahams and mind yer on beeswax.End of. '

Instead, a vocational professional is suspended further reducing the level of care to those in need. Bless em()
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Hah, that's probably nearer the truth of the matter SYB, may have conjured up the aroma of formaldehyde rathere prematurely for the old dear's liking.
Me thinks there's probably been an element of the professional green eyed monster: Agency versus NHS employee from the one who stuck her in....
Why though does it have to go to a Spanish Inquisition????
What's wrong with 'Oi,Florence stop with the Billy Grahams and mind yer on beeswax.End of. '

Instead, a vocational professional is suspended further reducing the level of care to those in need. Bless em()
Some sour old crone lying around getting offended by her own mortality being the very embodiment of an argument for youth-in-asia.....
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:41 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some sour old crone lying around getting offended by her own mortality being the very embodiment of an argument for youth-in-asia.....
(Tough old) Bird flew???
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
(Tough old) Bird flew???
Living on a prayer?????
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:45 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Living on a prayer?????
Ha....you win

This time
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Eva
Ha....you win

This time
Aww, cute....

I ain't lookin' to compete with you,
Beat or cheat or mistreat you,
Simplify you, classify you,
Deny, defy or crucify you.
All I really want to do
Is, baby, be friends with you.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

How does anyone in the Uk have any time for prayers, complaining, investigations etc etc etc when there's all this football to watch?!?!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:18 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
that is the hipocratic oath, there are modern oaths but they are NOT the hipocratic oath. graduates of several older schools of medicine still use the original oath. most now use a version of the decleration of geneva

"The Declaration of Geneva, as currently amended, reads[2]:

At the time of being admitted as a member of the medical profession:
I solemnly pledge to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;
I will give to my teachers the respect and gratitude that is their due;
I will practise my profession with conscience and dignity;
The health of my patient will be my first consideration;
I will respect the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died;
I will maintain by all the means in my power, the honour and the noble traditions of the medical profession;
My colleagues will be my sisters and brothers;
I will not permit considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient;
I will maintain the utmost respect for human life;
I will not use my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat;
I make these promises solemnly, freely and upon my honour. "
Yikes you're nearly as pedantic as me The Hippocratic Oath is used to describe more modern oaths as well...the basic principle is the same - a high ethical standard of professionalism.

N.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:21 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Nothing in there about not praying.

I honestly can't believe some of the responses on here.

If someone offers to pray for you, it means they are thinking about your welfare enough to hope that someone will ensure you are safe.

What on earth is offensive about that concept?
Irrationality and ignorance is nearly always offensive to the thinking mind.

And I am certain prayers offered to one version of god in the presence of one who believes in another deity is almost always offensive.

N.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Eva
No where in that article does it SAY she prayed WITH them
I know...I never said she did either.

N.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by W10
But the person would be praying anyway no? And anyway, regardless of what you believe. You can just say no.

Why are athiests so tetchy about religion? If they don't believe, why does it bother them so much.
Because Atheists are surrounded by people who sincerely believe in books that slander atheists, call them fools, and even call for their death.

It's hard to ignore and not be bothered by things like that!

N.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.