Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about954RR has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Newbies....Introduce yourselves to the ME crowd

Originally Posted by Phil A
The biggest gripe I that some of the drivers dont seem to know the way from Marina to Internet City.
I am surprised some of them find their way home.
When I first got here I went to Emirates mall from the Greens and came back in the dark. It soon became apparent that I had a better understanding of the roads than the taxi driver and I had only been in Dubai for 2 days!
Eventually I managed to guide him in the right direction but told him early on when I realised he was lost that I was not paying any more than what I paid on the way.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:35 am
Banned

Phil A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 954RR
I am surprised some of them find their way home.
When I first got here I went to Emirates mall from the Greens and came back in the dark. It soon became apparent that I had a better understanding of the roads than the taxi driver and I had only been in Dubai for 2 days!
Eventually I managed to guide him in the right direction but told him early on when I realised he was lost that I was not paying any more than what I paid on the way.
you have to do that quite a bit here
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:37 am
Banned

Phil A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 954RR
Do I take then that you are not of Scots descent?

I'm British that's all I'm gonna say

Phil

p.s. not Welsh btw

p.p.s. would it be fair to say that if I was 'Scottish and Proud' I'd be showing a Scottish flag? Not being controversial, just interested
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

p.s. not Welsh btw
that's a real shame...

MM, xx
Old Jun 19th 2009, 8:31 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Taxi drivers are a nightmare here. I came out the Grosvenor House one night and the next guy in the queue refused to take me to my destination because it wasnt a lucrative enough job for him - so thinking I would have the same problem with the next taxi (and he would be right to refuse of course because I'm not strictly his fare) I ended up offering Biju Baby double fare. The biggest gripe I that some of the drivers dont seem to know the way from Marina to Internet City.
Hold on...

Isnt Buddha Bar in Grosvenor.....

Taz??? Is that you???
Old Jun 20th 2009, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

The Mallards is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys! The wife and I are awaiting final details from the Tawam hospital. Looking to join you motley crew sometime this year! Whats it Al ain like?
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 3:59 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Mallards
Hi Guys! The wife and I are awaiting final details from the Tawam hospital. Looking to join you motley crew sometime this year! Whats it Al ain like?
Sandy and a bit quiet... welcome.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Quack quack
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:25 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Quack quack
Ignore Ray...he's just been to the doctor's for a hernia test (testicle grip) and was asked to cough twice. Based on the resultant "quack quack", he was diagnosed with avian (bird) flu...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Ignore Ray...he's just been to the doctor's for a hernia test (testicle grip) and was asked to cough twice. Based on the resultant "quack quack", he was diagnosed with avian (bird) flu...
I was talking to the Mallards ..not you..
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

mart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nice

Martyn old git of 47

Coming to Qatar mid July after 18months in Dublin. Live 10 miles from Liverpool - St Helens
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:31 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mart1000
Martyn old git of 47

Coming to Qatar mid July after 18months in Dublin. Live 10 miles from Liverpool - St Helens
Welcome to Middle East when you come. You're not being ignored..it's just that it is Friday (1st day of the weekend) and not many are on the board (or bored as we sometimes call it).

PS What line of work are you in ?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

mart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nicemart1000 is just really nice

I'm a treasury consultant, hope to be implementing a treasury management system for an investment bank over there

You?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 3:16 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Martyn old git of 47

you will have to hook up with Little Jimmy and Big Kev, they are both old gits.

Last edited by Blue Cat; Jun 26th 2009 at 3:25 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 4:16 pm
A bubbly-jock...

I'm a treasury consultant, hope to be implementing a treasury management system for an investment bank over there

You?
Sounds a good and highly paid job. Me...an environmental consultant...I'm actually writing a proposal just now for Qatar Petroluem ! There are a few on the board from Doha...do a search for Doha in the Middle East forum and in the Sandpit and see what/who comes up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.